Jump to content

Celebrity Eclipse exposed passengers to Covid19


FOXTROT
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:


Someone who was a passenger on that Eclipse cruise said that he made a daily announcement like that up until the 25th when he stopped saying that and they posted that in one of the threads here. I did not make that up.

 

We were on this sailing.  You are 100% correct.  The "voice from above" constantly reassured us we "were a healthy ship".  Or, phrased another way, flat ass lied to us.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Florida Lady said:

To:Celebrity Eclipse Passengers

If you were on the chartered flight to Boston- GET TESTED immediately!

REASON:

Passenger on flight tested the next day-  test results received on Friday 4/3/20 - positive for covid-19 -  Now hospitalized. Another passenger was tested on Monday 4/6/20 awaiting results.  FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION TAKE MY ADVISE - GET TESTED IMMEDIATELY.

 

I can say nothing further.

 

Have you posted this on the March 1 Roll Call thread?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:


Someone who was a passenger on that Eclipse cruise said that he made a daily announcement like that up until the 25th when he stopped saying that and they posted that in one of the threads here. I did not make that up.

 

Then please be consistent and clear when describing what occurred.  Saying this...  "A captain announcing publicly daily that there was no illness onboard..."  IS NOT THE SAME AS saying this...  "..he made a daily announcement like that up until the 25th..".  The first statement is an exaggeration that makes it sound like the Capt told passengers the ship was illness-free EVERY SINGLE DAY.  That simply did not happen.

Edited by Gimpy McFarlan
Info
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was also on board and verified with my partner that he absolutely said that there was no illness on board and it was conspicuously absent starting about the 25th.  Maybe our recollection is wrong, but that is what we remember. The 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

 

Then please be consistent and clear when describing what occurred.  Saying this...  "A captain announcing publicly daily that there was no illness onboard..."  IS NOT THE SAME AS saying this...  "..he made a daily announcement like that up until the 25th..".  The first statement is an exaggeration that makes it sound like the Capt told passengers the ship was illness-free EVERY SINGLE DAY.  That simply did not happen.


This was your earlier post

 

“This is incorrect. Capt Leo DID NOT claim there was no illness on board "daily".  Capt Leo said there were no reports of people with flu-like symptoms early on in the evacuation while we were circling off the coast of San Antonio and while taking provisions in Valparaiso”

 

Two posters who were onboard have since confirmed the ongoing announcements (which were daily up until the 25th) from the captain in this thread which conflicts with your comments above that there was only something said while circling. So when asking others to be clear and consistent in posting it would be wise to follow your own advice. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the disembarking passengers were given masks and maybe gloves, I would hope they kept them on until they reached their homes.

 

Anyone who traveled from January on can rightly assume they have been exposed to COVID 19.   If you are fortunate your immune system was able to fight the virus.   Many cruisers have conditions making them immune compromised  and making a serious illness more likely.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was a passanger on this cruise and to be honest think that it is only fair to comment if you were there and experienced the day to day developments as we did. We probably were clear of the virus when San Antonio did not allow us to dock. The virus may have been bought on board when we took on provisions in Valparasio. Ive seen so much criticism about no kits on board for COVID 19. This is not a simple dipstick test, it is far more complicated than that and requires people trained in PCR to carry out the test accurately. Ship staff are very unlikely to have the necessary skills to carry out this test accurately.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not the fact that they had no kits that bothers me the most, it's the fact that they flat out lied about having no guests or crew members with symptoms. Petelang in post 243 describes his wife's visit to the clinic and it horrifies me that nothing was done on the ship re quarantining passengers or informing the port when you docked.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

I was a passanger on this cruise and to be honest think that it is only fair to comment if you were there and experienced the day to day developments as we did. 

 

No, that is what your roll call is for.  

 

This became everyone's business the minute mislead passengers flooded out into hotels, taxis, and airplanes.  Honestly, even if the dispute were about fake crab meat, we're on "cruise critic", everything is fair game, not excluding exposing thousands of people during a pandemic, based on lies.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I have not heard discussed was the multiple times the ship had us all line up during the last 17 days.  We all lined up twice to get - then give back passports, exchanged sea pass cards three times and at least another three times for travel arrangements.  That's at least eight times that everyone lined up on their respective decks.  Since we were a "healthy ship" there was no discussion of distancing.  Heck, there wasn't room!

 

In retrospect, not a smart move with known sickness on board.

Edited by Beachin2
fat fingers
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Celebrity handled the developments on the Eclipse very well. What did you expect them to do, we had already been on board for 30 days. There was no evidence of the virus on board. Celebrity could have quarantined us all on board like the Diamond Princess but cruise ships dont have the facilities to deal with a viruus such as this. Where does the UK  is busy building hosputal wards at a frantic rate, the virus is already widedpread in all our communities.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Celebrity has become a leader in modern innovations, and more importantly on the right side of history with many of today's issues. Keep that in mind, would they plan this to happen on March 1st??? No! It has been a fluid situation with a virus we're still learning about. We don't know what they knew and they did their job getting everyone home and safe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

One thing I have not heard discussed was the multiple times the ship had us all line up during the last 17 days.  We all lined up twice to get - then give back passports, exchanged sea pass cards three times and at least another three times for travel arrangements.  That's at least eight times that everyone lined up on their respective decks.  Since we were a "healthy ship" there was no discussion of distancing.  Heck, there wasn't room!

 

In retrospect, not a smart move with known sickness on board.

And one of the lineups was to get our email addresses.  "We need them within the hour!" we were told.

This request was coming from the same company which, just days before, had sent out evaluation surveys to all of the passengers by email. !!??

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, paphoslady said:

I think Celebrity handled the developments on the Eclipse very well. What did you expect them to do, we had already been on board for 30 days. There was no evidence of the virus on board. Celebrity could have quarantined us all on board like the Diamond Princess but cruise ships dont have the facilities to deal with a viruus such as this. Where does the UK  is busy building hosputal wards at a frantic rate, the virus is already widedpread in all our communities.

 

What people expected them to do was to bite the bullet, take the financial hit, and honestly tell the port of san diego that they had potential COVID patients on board, one who needed urgent hospitalization, and with many (dozens even) more with flu like symptoms and possible covid.

 

It could lead to another grand princess situation, but that is better for the community then letting everyone freely roam about.

 

It's this natural selfishness of "i'll do anything to not get quarantined" that has been shown to be part of human nature for thousands of years, why cruising won't start up again for a long time.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, loerie said:

Feeling like crap today -tired with slight fever-what the hell -I had a wonderful 30 days and lived the good life.No regrets!

 

How about all the flight attendants, and pilots, and fellow travelers, and airport workers, and shuttle/taxi/uber drivers?

 

Did you ask if they've lived a good life as well and if they minded getting sick?

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Two posters who were onboard have since confirmed the ongoing announcements (which were daily up until the 25th) from the captain in this thread which conflicts with your comments above that there was only something said while circling. So when asking others to be clear and consistent in posting it would be wise to follow your own advice. 

 

Not sure what else to tell you.  I was onboard and I stand by my statement. The Capt did not comment on the health status of the crew / passengers every day we were at sea from San Antonio to San Diego. He stated there were no signs of flu-like illness each day when we were in the vicinity of San Antonio and Valparaiso but he did not comment on crew / passenger health every single day we were at sea.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

 

What people expected them to do was to bite the bullet, take the financial hit, and honestly tell the port of san diego that they had potential COVID patients on board, one who needed urgent hospitalization, and with many (dozens even) more with flu like symptoms and possible covid.

 

It could lead to another grand princess situation, but that is better for the community then letting everyone freely roam about.

 

It's this natural selfishness of "i'll do anything to not get quarantined" that has been shown to be part of human nature for thousands of years, why cruising won't start up again for a long time.

I declined to book these cruises. I think foresight and common sense can be valuable when making decisions that might involve our well-being. I have read several reports on here that, as yours does, comport with my experience with cruise lines. The selfishness that you refer to on the part of some die-hard cruisers and some cruise lines is on display in these incidents and is apparent to all but the oblivious. Again, my opinion.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

 

How about all the flight attendants, and pilots, and fellow travelers, and airport workers, and shuttle/taxi/uber drivers?

 

Did you ask if they've lived a good life as well and if they minded getting sick?

They were doing a job as I did -nursing ! Same as my grandchildren stocking shelves to keep the food line going -it’s called Working for a living regardless ,-I nursed in infectious diseases in Africa-doing my. Job and saying thank God  for work 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a lot of people forget that when we boarded the Eclipse on the 1st March it was a very different place to the one we returned to on the 30th March. By the 30th March the virus was already well established in our communities including the USA. Yes we did come into contact with cabin crew and I wore my mask all the way home. Airports were deserted we hardly saw another human being apart from passangers from the ship. Shops closed, flights cancelled, airports empty. The Diamond Princess had already shown that holding oassangers on the shiomin quarantine really doesnt work. I and many otgers are glad to be home there is evidence to show that reducing stress improves the outcome if someone who is infected. Being at homeb is a lot less stressful!!!

Edited by paphoslady
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your stress level may be lower but I cannot really think that the stress level of the over 100 people who are either positive or presumptive positive for COVID 19 is lower.  I cannot imagine the stress levels of the families of those who have been admitted to ICU some in critical conditions. Wonder what Celebrity’s stress level is?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paphoslady said:

I think a lot of people forget that when we boarded the Eclipse on the 1st March it was a very different place to the one we returned to on the 30th March. By the 30th March the virus was already well established in our communities including the USA. Yes we did come into contact with cabin crew and I wore my mask all the way home. Airports were deserted we hardly saw another human being apart from passangers from the ship. Shops closed, flights cancelled, airports empty. The Diamond Princess had already shown that holding oassangers on the shiomin quarantine really doesnt work. I and many otgers are glad to be home there is evidence to show that reducing stress improves the outcome if someone who is infected. Being at homeb is a lot less stressful!!!

 

I don't believe many are suggesting Diamond Princess 2.0.  Grand Princess is a better example, including testing,  chartered flights and buses, to save thousands from exposure.  The rest of the public that didn't cruise in March, yet got directly exposed, their stress matters too.

 

Would we feel the same way if an inspiration speaker, such as Tony Robbins, continued a seminar, after learning that the current county had turned hot?  People are asking for nurses during intermission, breathing treatments, and an ambulance is called around back.  The mic gets turned up to drown out the coughing,  "Don't worry, we have had a clean hall with no virus here today, you're safe to return home."

 

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...