Celebrity Eclipse exposed passengers to Covid19

FOXTROT

I was a passenger on the ship with my wife.  A few of my thoughts...I figured it would be a minor miracle if we made it the whole cruise without any cases.  Just too many people crossing paths in ports and onboard.  The fact that Chile "gave" some the virus then refused to let people off, in a safe manner (which was entirely doable) led to 4000 people potentially getting exposed.  To me, that will always be the biggest failing.  Chile was happy to take our money in their ports, but then decided to refuse our right to get home.  They could have insisted on masks, gloves, direct to the airports, etc.... 

Anyway, second, I feel the hysteria that thousands of disease infected Eclipsers are now infecting the world is ridiculous.  The virus is already here.  The percentage coming from cruise people is a fraction of 1 percent.  It's the least of the problem.  I of course agree that everyone should quarantine for at least the 14 days -- and hopefully, like us, people were smart on their trip home.  Not because we thought we might have been exposed (we were told no) but who wasn't completely paranoid in every bus, taxi, airport, plane, ?  I wasn't going to touch a thing and washed constantly.  

With that said, I have developed symptoms that seem Covid19-like.  Starting Monday had a light, dry cough, headache, muscle fatigue.  That was probably Monday evening . No fever.  Then of course read that there were cases.  Got a bit more concerned.  Tuesday evening had a massive case of the chills, and sure enough temperature spiked to above 100.  Over the last two days I've gone as high as 101.4.  I decided to get tested yesterday.

Let me share my experience on that.  I went to one place (drive up testing) and got tested.  They proceeded to tell me the tests are not that reliable right now (great) -- I think they give a lot of false negatives.  I'm assuming if you test positive this is not a factor but they don't always pick up on it.  For that reason, I decided to go to another place hoping their lab was better.  Their swab test was more thorough (both nostrils, much longer time) and the doc there tells me "this is only 60% accurate - if it comes back negative you still have it" -- which was odd to hear but I get it.  They know the tests are not perfect and if you have symptoms like I do then you need to treat it like you have it just in case.  Finally, the first clinic called me back and said they just got in the new pin ***** blood test that gets a result in 15 minutes and I should comeback and take that while we wait for the swab tests (which takes 1-3 days for results).....I went back, did that test and...negative.  Of course she then said it's a brand new test and they don't know how accurate.  Crazy.  So, right now 1 of 3 tests say negative.  Are they reliable? Not really from what I've been told.

Anyway, I did see many people who were sick onboard, coughing, etc...did seem like there was something going around but certainly did not have to be C19.  Any ship I've ever sailed on with a lot of people I see similar. 

However, my last point.  I think Captain Leo and officers got way into the hero worship that was going on.  I was never comfortable with it.  Did Celebrity treat us great?  Absolutely.  But the hero worship that was going on was uncomfortable.  Especially in light of the new facts - there were people showing exact, matching symptoms.  We all were up on the news, them included, those were obvious potential cases.  I would have respected it far more if they had implemented social distancing, spacing at dinners, spacing in shows.  Maybe there wasn't enough to quarantine to rooms - that would have been awful - but to let us all pack together everywhere, (how many times did we all have to line up in a confined space with people breathing on your neck?)  is where this falls apart for me.  Some precautions should have been taken at the minimum.  I think they got into prancing around deck being honored as heroes.  That's just my take.

Hope all stay healthy - - definitely stay quarantined at home the full 14 days even if you feel fine.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate your summary and trust all is well with you and family. Could you update later with your two other tests to give a better understanding of the reliability of the tests.

As a long time Celebrity cruiser I would hope that they would provide a better understanding of why there was no update etc until people off the ship.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NinaBlue22 said:

I just don’t understand, did Celebrity not know about this sick passenger and crew members?

How could they not know?  Passenger's family reported she was treated by the ship's doctor several times before we docked.

• Like 4

Markpc17,

Thanks for your report. It sounds to me like you’ve got a realistic grasp on your first-hand experience, and the situation in general. It’s great to hear from those who were actually on board to balance things out from those of us watching/speculating from the bleachers.

Your personal observation about the on board hero mentality atmosphere is understandable IMO. I’d think it would be easy to fall into that trap and feel the pride of being a “clean ship” after the stories of Diamond/Grand Princess, Zaandam/Rotterdam, etc. 

Yes, please keep us posted on the results of your two other tests. And your condition, in general. Praying your temperature comes down along with a decline in symptoms. I hope your wife remains symptom free. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Your personal observation about the on board hero mentality atmosphere is understandable IMO. I’d think it would be easy to fall into that trap and feel the pride of being a “clean ship” after the stories of Diamond/Grand Princess, Zaandam/Rotterdam, etc. 

That is the question. They felt the pride based on what?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markpc17 said:

Anyway, second, I feel the hysteria that thousands of disease infected Eclipsers are now infecting the world is ridiculous.  The virus is already here.  The percentage coming from cruise people is a fraction of 1 percent.  It's the least of the problem.  I of course agree that everyone should quarantine for at least the 14 days -- and hopefully, like us, people were smart on their trip home.  Not because we thought we might have been exposed (we were told no) but who wasn't completely paranoid in every bus, taxi, airport, plane, ?  I wasn't going to touch a thing and washed constantly.  

But that's like saying, well, there's pollution already in the air and in our oceans so why bother doing anything to restrict future pollution. There should've been measures put in place as was done with Grand Princess. Everyone should've been held on board until the ill woman was tested and once it was known she was positive all passengers should've been quarantined for 14 days. People arriving home from this cruise are already testing positive for the virus. They or others who are so far asymptomatic may be spreading it around totally unintentionally; 25% of viral spread is from those who are asymptomatic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

How could they not know?  Passenger's family reported she was treated by the ship's doctor several times before we docked.

Celebrity still says there were no passengers with symptoms  onboard. 
Looks like they will never admit anything differently. 

Can they just refuse to say anything more about it and wait for it to blow over?

18 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

Can they just refuse to say anything more about it and wait for it to blow over?

With over 100 pax still stuck aboard, won't be blowing over any time soon.  At least they're docked.  You can watch Ft Lauderdale beach cams of Plan B (Zaandam & Rotterdam).  Carnival brands still have 6K pax at sea that no one wants.  The optics for cruising won't be forgotten that fast, especially since everyone is home watching. 

3 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

With over 100 pax still stuck aboard, won't be blowing over any time soon.  At least they're docked.  You can watch Ft Lauderdale beach cams of Plan B (Zaandam & Rotterdam).  Carnival brands still have 6K pax at sea that no one wants.  The optics for cruising won't be forgotten that fast, especially since everyone is home watching. 

It might eventually blow over because attention is focused elsewhere because there is so much in the news right now. 
I followed some Twitter threads about Celebrity not reporting the sick passenger and there were single digit replies or no comments on most of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheffield said:

But they weren’t a “clean ship” and had to know it. I feel embarrassed about that kind of behavior and I wasn’t even there. 

Live reports from the ship conveyed a party atmosphere with a seemingly false understanding they were aboard a virus-free ship. 

14 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

It might eventually blow over because attention is focused elsewhere because there is so much in the news right now. 

Maybe JAX news is different but here in Central Florida, you can't escape the visuals = every governor's briefing, every single newscast, every Florida-related social media feed.  It's a non-stop part of our Covid19 existence (right up there with where to get eggs).

15 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Maybe JAX news is different but here in Central Florida, you can't escape the visuals = every governor's briefing, every single newscast, every Florida-related social media feed.  It's a non-stop part of our Covid19 existence (right up there with where to get eggs).

I meant there is so much other coronavirus news already that this particular story about the sick passenger not being reported is not gaining much attention amongst all the other noise. 

And there are still 100+ South American passengers stuck on Eclipse now.  Haven't heard any updates on their status today.

(Eclipse and Millennium are both at the pier today -- Millennium doing a planned resupply.)

Millennium & Eclipse in SD 04-02-2020.JPG

10 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

I meant there is so much other coronavirus news already that this particular story about the sick passenger not being reported is not gaining much attention amongst all the other noise. 

Cruise ships all look alike to the general public and the cruise dramas playing out around the world are bigger news than merely the Eclipse.  Fox, CNN, ABC, etc., have been intermittently live-streaming the Zaandam coming into Port Everglades right now, with the Rotterdam to follow.  Lots of memory-inducing optics for a battered cruising industry. 

2 hours ago, sheffield said:

The passengers may have thought they were on a virus-free ship but the medical staff and Captain had to know they weren't, despite not admitting it.

It feels like there is the potential for serious lawsuits here, especially if anyone passes away. Of course someone would have to prove they got the virus onboard and that may be impossible to pinpoint.

7 hours ago, markpc17 said:

However, my last point.  I think Captain Leo and officers got way into the hero worship that was going on.  I was never comfortable with it.  Did Celebrity treat us great?  Absolutely.  But the hero worship that was going on was uncomfortable.  Especially in light of the new facts - there were people showing exact, matching symptoms.  We all were up on the news, them included, those were obvious potential cases.  I would have respected it far more if they had implemented social distancing, spacing at dinners, spacing in shows.  Maybe there wasn't enough to quarantine to rooms - that would have been awful - but to let us all pack together everywhere, (how many times did we all have to line up in a confined space with people breathing on your neck?)  is where this falls apart for me.  Some precautions should have been taken at the minimum.  I think they got into prancing around deck being honored as heroes.  That's just my take.

I admit I was one who looked at them as heroes...I wanted to be home.  I listened to all the coughs, including the ones in our Happy Hour group,, but trusted “there was no illness onboard”.  I looked at all the officers circulating among the passengers as a way of exuding confidence, so that even when listening to those coughs, I figured we were ok.  I guess this was very naive now, but talk about company loyalty!  Captain Leo was even there to say goodbye to each of us...and I don’t think that was from 6’ away either.  I don’t know...we don’t like the lack of transparency, but are wondering whether it was for our own good??  That makes it totally confusing as to whether hey did the right thing!

• Like 1

So, I’m a flight attendant, and there are a lot of crew members who are now infected, of course the airlines are saying due to HIPPA regulations they can’t release information.  So how many Eclipse passengers gave it to a flight crew member, and the flight attendants to their passengers on further flights?  We need to shut this down, not this gradual ‘when the states finally realize science has a place in society’ BS we’re going through now.  

Edited by Prost Seattle
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

CruisinJayne, how can you think the right thing was denying they had cases on board with the symptoms of COVID19? You even admit there were people coughing. That behavior was not for the good of the people you met on your way home.

Edited by sheffield

25 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

So, I’m a flight attendant, and there are a lot of crew members who are now infected, of course the airlines are saying due to HIPPA regulations they can’t release information.  So how many Eclipse passengers gave it to a flight crew member, and the flight attendants to their passengers on further flights?  We need to shut this down, not this gradual ‘when the states finally realize science has a place in society’ BS we’re going through now.  

HIPAA regulations don’t prevent all reporting of people have tested positive for highly contagious diseases. https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/hipaa-and-covid-19-limited-hipaa-waiver-bulletin-508.pdf

Public health comes first. 

• Like 1

I don ‘t think the coughing on board was symptomatic of anything specific.  I have done about a dozen cruises and at the end of every cruise a lot more people are coughing than at the beginning. I can remember coming home with an upper respiratory infection from about half of my cruises.

It could be the number l of people with pneumonia was typical of any cruise and didn’t ring any alarm bells due to the number of days we had been at sea (although the medical staff should have considered them presumptive COVID-19 unless proven otherwise).  We will never know.

I am still frustrated at the lack of information from Celebrity, but am glad to be home.

• Like 1