To Carnival: Get rid of the auto hand dryers

audcc77

Given the recent events, I’m wondering if Carnival will get rid of these hand dryers in the restrooms.  🤔   

Look at the second to last paragraph. 

https://www.wthr.com/article/verify-can-you-contract-covid-19-automatic-hand-dryer

I have always hated those.   Sometimes I think Carnival does ridiculous things in the interest of being green. 

Kinda makes me curious if they have these in the food prep area.   Yuk.  

• Like 2

I hate those dryers.  You’re supposed to put your hands/arms in a v-form, and the water drips down your arms to your elbows.  I’ve read many times that hand dryers spread more germs than paper towels. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

I call bs on that. That is so silly. It's been proven in lengthy studies that those things are more sanitary than paper towels. Nope. Not buying that bs.

I'd agree with you . . . but then we'd both be wrong.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, joeyancho said:

They pick up dried matter, such as urine, fecal matter, vomit, etc from the floor  and circulate it into the air, over and over. 

Really?  I've never felt enough wind going into the dryer from the few inches away that you stand, let alone from 3-4 feet down on the floor.  And, the article says that hand dryers can deposit bacteria on surfaces, but that assumes that you have those bacteria still on your hands after washing.  And since the bacteria are distributed to surfaces, it also assumes that you touch those surfaces after washing and drying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

Ahhh.  I see. 

It appears the American Society for Microbiology and the World Health Organization are BOTH wrong. 

Who knew 🙄

No, those organizations said that air dryers can move droplets to other surfaces and contaminate those surfaces.  They did not say that you can catch a virus from using the dryer, as the article claims.  Nor do they say that dryers will pick up things from the surfaces and redeposit them on your hands.

• Like 1

WHO:

Are hand dryers effective in killing the new coronavirus?

No. Hand dryers are not effective in killing the 2019-nCoV. To protect yourself against the new coronavirus, you should frequently clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Once your hands are cleaned, you should dry them thoroughly by using paper towels or a warm air dryer.

American Society for Microbiology:

Study Shows Hot Air Hand Dryers Spread Bathroom Bacteria

Feb. 12, 2018

Washington, DC - February 12, 2018 -Bathroom hot air hand dryers deposited large quantities of bacteria on agar plates held beneath the nozzles for 30 seconds and grew 15 to 60 bacterial colonies each, according to a new study.

Bathroom hot air hand dryers deposited large quantities of bacteria on agar plates held beneath the nozzles for 30 seconds and grew 15 to 60 bacterial colonies each, according to research published in Applied and Environmental Microbiology, a publication of the American Society for Microbiology. The vast majority of the bacteria appear to come from the bathrooms.

Bacteria deposited by hand dryers are skin flora and/or environmental organisms that can cause invasive human disease, including bloodstream, ocular, and peritoneal infections. In most cases, patients sickened by these bacteria had a vulnerability to infection because of factors such as a permanent catheter, an immunodeficiency, chronic disease, or IV drug use.

Apparently WHO is saying air dryer is fine. But the ASM says bacteria still gets on your hands. 

Nonetheless, I am hoping they change to paper towels.  I know that’s not likely to happen.  

• Like 2

Absolutely no way they change this unless they start ripping them out of every public restroom in the United States. 

When I think of how quickly the trash can in my work bathroom fills up with paper towels with only 30-50 people using it for 8 hours 5 days a week, I can’t imagine what it would be for 4,000 people. 

And really everyone has their own bathroom not far away where they can dry their hands with whatever they want.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, sparks1093 said:

Much better to use cloth towels so they can be washed and sanitized or disposable paper towels.🤪 Another "let's get rid of X" suggestion without a viable alternative as to what takes the place of X. 

I've seen at least one premium line with cloth towels at public areas.  Carnival actually does have paper towels at the lido hand washing stations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I've seen at least one premium line with cloth towels at public areas.  Carnival actually does have paper towels at the lido hand washing stations.

No doubt. The fact is that any way we have of drying our hands has it's drawbacks from an environmental point of view and from a personal hygiene point of view. If people make sure to wash their hands properly that at least helps minimize the personal hygiene point of view.

On 4/1/2020 at 9:07 AM, Saint Greg said:

Absolutely no way they change this unless they start ripping them out of every public restroom in the United States. 

When I think of how quickly the trash can in my work bathroom fills up with paper towels with only 30-50 people using it for 8 hours 5 days a week, I can’t imagine what it would be for 4,000 people. 

And really everyone has their own bathroom not far away where they can dry their hands with whatever they want.

Agreed. I dislike the public bathrooms on the ship so I just go back to the cabin. The extra steps won't kill me

• Like 1