Azamara refund problems (merged)

larhode

32 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Many in the US, Australia and other countries are also waiting for refunds and FCCs from cancelled Royal Caribbean cruises.

I appreciate that, and it was said tongue in cheek, but of those reporting receiving refunds the number of those in the USA do seem to be disproportionate to Azamara’s client base.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

John, I get the frustration, but suspect much of the lack of honesty by Azamara stems from being backed into a corner with an inundation of claims and most probably a lack of patience and understanding of the issues by some of the claimants. 

Glad to hear it looks like you now have an end date. 🤞

Phil 

Phil,

You said "lack of honesty by Azamara stems from... a lack of patience and understanding".

Are you suggesting that loyal customers "shut their mouths" in order for Azamara to be more "honest"?

Is this how Azamara operates?

I am asking you because you seem to have inside information about how they must operate.

Look forward to your reply

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

Phil,

You said "lack of honesty by Azamara stems from... a lack of patience and understanding".

Are you suggesting that loyal customers "shut their mouths" in order for Azamara to be more "honest"?

I am asking you because you seem to have inside information about how they must operate.

I think I understand what Phil means the customer service staff when faced with irate customers are possibly making promises that they think customers want to hear or maybe what they’ve been told to say to placate customers although they personally have no way of making it happen. Personally I don’t think the customer facing staff should be put in this position and senior management in Royal Caribbean have been found wanting.

On the ships when there’s a problem Captains always take control usually with an announcement to passengers explaining the situation and what action is being taken, the majority of passengers will be happy with this and feel that they are being treated well.

However senior management seem to be hiding, there’s the ability to email the majority of the customer base but the only one we’ve received was regarding Mr Pimentel’s departure. 
Why haven’t we received communication from the new CEO apologising for the delays and explaining the plan regarding refunds, it appears that to Azamara/Royal Caribbean customers are now the enemy. In good times they were happy to attend many trade events and crow about accolades they have received, but now they have been found wanting. Anybody can run a company/corporation in good times, in bad times it requires strong communicative management and they have been found wanting, hopefully once this is over it will be addressed.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Riocca said:

I think I understand what Phil means the customer service staff when faced with irate customers are possibly making promises that they think customers want to hear or maybe what they’ve been told to say to placate customers although they personally have no way of making it happen. Personally I don’t think the customer facing staff should be put in this position and senior management in Royal Caribbean have been found wanting.

On the ships when there’s a problem Captains always take control usually with an announcement to passengers explaining the situation and what action is being taken, the majority of passengers will be happy with this and feel that they are being treated well.

However senior management seem to be hiding, there’s the ability to email the majority of the customer base but the only one we’ve received was regarding Mr Pimentel’s departure. 
Why haven’t we received communication from the new CEO apologising for the delays and explaining the plan regarding refunds, it appears that to Azamara/Royal Caribbean customers are now the enemy. In good times they were happy to attend many trade events and crow about accolades they have received, but now they have been found wanting. Anybody can run a company/corporation in good times, in bad times it requires strong communicative management and they have been found wanting, hopefully once this is over it will be addressed.

I agree John.  This was a time they could have used social media to their huge advantage as many companies have but sadly they have come up seriously lacking.  It's all very well being able to blog and communicate with a marketing hat on, but its when it is less happy rosy messages that have to be worked with that the skilled communicators come to the fore.  I have a list of organisation (including travel providers) that I feel have genuinely tried (even if they did not get it 100% right) and there are those I feel have not.  You can guess where my remaining pounds will go in the future.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, uktog said:

I agree John.  This was a time they could have used social media to their huge advantage as many companies have but sadly they have come up seriously lacking.  It's all very well being able to blog and communicate with a marketing hat on, but its when it is less happy rosy messages that have to be worked with that the skilled communicators come to the fore.  I have a list of organisation (including travel providers) that I feel have genuinely tried (even if they did not get it 100% right) and there are those I feel have not.  You can guess where my remaining pounds will go in the future.

You are correct!

My own personal experience is that the paid social media person/people, who I was accused of not being fair to, made optimistic promises of when I could expect a refund on a March 17th cancellation. After many weeks passed and I still had not been refunded, I raised the point and I was ignored. Easy to make promises and easier NOT to be held accountable. In my world a person is measured during difficult times not when things are going good. Big failure.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that Azamara (and its daddy) has forgotten the first principle of business: the most important person in any business is the customer/client.

Everyone else is dispensable.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Riocca said:

After many emails to Azamara I eventually got a reply from Azamara U.K. customer services apologising for the delay in replying but explaining that they were overwhelmed and some refunds could take as long 60 days from the original date of sailing, ours was 17th March, and we should be refunded in 2 weeks. Our date of sailing was 10 weeks ago so that makes 70 days and counting, despite having had an email on the 15th April telling me our refund was being processed.

Now I realise that these are unprecedented times but a little honestly wouldn’t go amiss, as others on our sailing have received refunds I cannot see why all weren’t processed at the same time. Being thanked at the bottom of each email for my loyalty and understanding is wearing a little thin, my only rational for what’s happening is that because we booked a suite Azamara are holding on to the larger refunds to aid their cash flow.  By Azamara I mean Royal Caribbean as a group, but I would remind them I am a customer not a bank and should be treated equally with other customers.

I really do feel for you, having been in the same situation until a few days ago. The angst felt compounds every time a post is read that yet another later cancellation has been relatively rapidly refunded while you still wait.

Hopefully the most recent information you have been given will come to fruition very soon!

13 hours ago, Riocca said:

Yes, that’s what I meant and in no way a put down of those waiting for refunds or an excuse for Azamara.  Just an explanation of why they appear to be promising long and delivering short.  I’ve seen similar things happen in my own work environment and other parts of day to day life.  It’s not right, but it is human nature and happens. 

Fingers crossed they get these outstanding items sorted out soon. 

Phil

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

Phil,

I have no inside knowledge of how Azamara operates.  Or were you just being sarcastic?  See my reply to Riocca.  

Phil

• Like 1

18 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

John, I get the frustration, but suspect much of the lack of honesty by Azamara stems from being backed into a corner with an inundation of claims and most probably a lack of patience and understanding of the issues by some of the claimants. 

Glad to hear it looks like you now have an end date. 🤞

Phil 

I hardly think  people waiting waiting upwards of  70 days shows lack of patience. Guests who have bookings have been extremely patient and tolerant with Azamara. Accepting excuse after excuse, waiting for promised refund dates to come and go with no sight of their refund. Tolerating exorbitantly long waits to speak with someone on the telephone and  putting up with the shocking  lack of communication from this company. Azamara are not backed into a corner, they are just displaying a total disregard for their loyal customer base. As Riocca says Customers are not banks they shouldn’t be expected to bail cruise companies out. Communication and honesty about the delays would have helped but Azamara and RCC appear to be unable to even manage this. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I have no inside knowledge of how Azamara operates.  Or were you just being sarcastic?  See my reply to Riocca.  

Phil

My apologies, Phil.

You make statements that appear to be fact but I guess I should just take it as an opinion.

On April 1st you were telling us that you thought we should be more patient. It’s now May 20th, should we still need to be patient? I am interested in your changing opinion.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, uktog said:

And herein lies the problem for Azamara. History has shown time and again that brands which treat their customers well and show corporate confidence during a crisis come out the other end stronger. Those that don't suffer the consequences. We saw that in 2008 and back in '87 when those that continued to live up to their values (or attempted at least) grew their share and retained loyalty. 

The lack of even basic communication around refunds suggests Azamara's management just see this as an operational / cash flow challenge and a minor inconvenience to customers. I find that baffling.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

My apologies, Phil.

You make statements that appear to be fact but I guess I should just take it as an opinion.

On April 1st you were telling us that you thought we should be more patient. It’s now May 20th, should we still need to be patient? I am interested in your changing opinion.

Honestly?  I still feel the same and in fact there is evidence here now that things are starting to happen and the patience is paying off.  Rather than a black hole of information there was at the start of this awful crisis. 

Phil 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Honestly?  I still feel the same and in fact there is evidence here now that things are starting to happen and the patience is paying off.  Rather than a black hole of information there was at the start of this awful crisis. 

Phil 

I see no evidence of me receiving my refund which is all I care about. I had no patience on April 1st and none now so nothing has changed here. 

Azamara cancelled our July 6 Pursuit cruise today so we've requested a refund. It will be interesting to see how long the process will take. I hope all that have been waiting for quite some time get their refunds soon. I know we're at the back of the line and have expectations for it to be done by mid-July. 

My TA phoned me this morning to discuss my options now that our July 8 cruise out of Oslo is cancelled. Within 30 minutes we had transferred to another cruise with Azamara out of Singapore March 2022, with all complimentary nights discount incorporated. The difference in price between this 2022 cruise and the cancelled one has been credited to our (previously-booked) cruise from Cape Town in March 2021. (We even secured exactly the same state room!) 
I was anticipating a bureaucratic nightmare, but our TA had Dawn (Azamara, Wichita) on the 'phone whilst we made all the new arrangements

Edited by blag
Typos
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Good news our wait is over, seven weeks after our cruise was cancelled we have now received a full refund of our cruise fare via our travel agent.

So thats 35 working days from the cruise being cancelled -  not too bad in the circumstances. Azamara are saying refunds may take 45 days, but it’s not clear whether that’s working days or not. 

20 hours ago, blag said:

My TA phoned me this morning to discuss my options now that our July 8 cruise out of Oslo is cancelled. Within 30 minutes we had transferred to another cruise with Azamara out of Singapore March 2022, with all complimentary nights discount incorporated. The difference in price between this 2022 cruise and the cancelled one has been credited to our (previously-booked) cruise from Cape Town in March 2021. (We even secured exactly the same state room!) 
I was anticipating a bureaucratic nightmare, but our TA had Dawn (Azamara, Wichita) on the 'phone whilst we made all the new arrangements

That’s great, glad to hear that Azamara did a good job for you.

3 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

So thats 35 working days from the cruise being cancelled -  not too bad in the circumstances. Azamara are saying refunds may take 45 days, but it’s not clear whether that’s working days or not. 

Sorry, early morning brain not working or it maybe the shock of receiving the refund it was over TEN weeks, a total of 73 days from cancellation of the cruise so not so good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Good news our wait is over, ten weeks after our cruise was cancelled we have now received a full refund of our cruise fare via our travel agent.

Thats great news to wake up to this morning!  

3 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Sorry, early morning brain not working or it maybe the shock of receiving the refund it was over TEN weeks, a total of 73 days from cancellation of the cruise so not so good.

I did wonder when you said seven weeks, as I thought your cancelled cruise may have been one of the earlier ones! That is quite a long wait - 50 working days, 70 days in all. I’m glad you finally got your money back. 

• Like 1

Really happy you have received your refund Riocca.We are now at 11 weeks since Azamara cancelled and still no refund  (cruise of 24 March).I now see that a further 10 cruises have been Cancelled through to end of July.

I really hope those cancellations don’t end up In a heap on top of our one. !!!