Azamara refund problems (merged)

larhode

2 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

On March 10 my TA canceled a May cruise per my request as the 50% refund and 50% FCC policy was in effect.  Within 3 days I received a refund for an experience more package that I had booked directly.  On April 2 I contacted my TA to cancel an additional cruise with another line and to check on my Azamara refund.  The TA contacted Azamara and was told the refund had been processed the previous day.

Today my credit card showed a full refund for the taxes and a separate refund that reflected a transfer and 50% of the cruise fare.  So in my case it certainly appears that Azamara lived up to their end of the deal.  I have not had any direct communication from Azamara about the FCC but my TA said that might take a while.

So patience may be the best approach.  

Thank you for this information.

I also canceled my May 14 cruise on March 10. At the time, I was told that a 50% Cash refund, a refund of all taxes and a full cash refund of choice air would occur within the next 10-14 working days, as would the 50% FCC. I received my FCC by email about a week ago, however have not received anything else as of today April 6th.

I plan on contacting my travel agent after Easter to follow up if I have not received anything by then. I figure that will be more than sufficient time to expect a refund especially since my cruise was cancelled on regular cancellation terms, not their cruise with confidence terms.

Hopefully Azamara will make this right for us, but confidence in that happening is waning every day this drags on.

I'll throw this out there. 

I've just been watching the BBC news here and there are MANY people struggling with refunds from all sorts of holiday firms, driven by the sheer number of people claiming in these totally unprecedented times.

It's been suggested that holiday firms be given longer to refund, say 4 months or more to enable a chance at their survival. Personally, knowing the situation I'd go with that. I have BA flights booked. There had been a suggestion of them issuing a travel voucher, repayable in cash in 365 days if not used. I'd go with that given the current situation. Similar thing for cruiselines?What do people think?

Phil 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've just been watching the BBC news here and there are MANY people struggling with refunds from all sorts of holiday firms, driven by the sheer number of people claiming in these totally unprecedented times.

It's been suggested that holiday firms be given longer to refund, say 4 months or more to enable a chance at their survival. Personally, knowing the situation I'd go with that. I have BA flights booked. There had been a suggestion of them issuing a travel voucher, repayable in cash in 365 days if not used. I'd go with that given the current situation. Similar thing for cruiselines?What do people think?

Phil 

Quite agree, Phil. If we want to be able to cruise or take other holidays when this is all over, we should perhaps be a bit more flexible about what we are prepared to accept by way of refunds/ future credits etc and about how long we’re prepared to wait. 

26 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’m going to disagree. If Azamara had been fair and honest with people from the outset, cancelling cruises in a timely manner  when it was obvious that they could not sail as all the ports were closed, I would have happily waited until things were back on an even Keel (excuse the pun). Instead they chose to push  this to the last minute, forcing some people  to cancel with no chance of a refund only FCC.  Compared to other companies they behaved appallingly, poor communication and customer service. For this reason I am not prepared to have a FCC or wait for any length of time for a refund. I’m afraid in this case you reap what you sew. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Thats what Viking appear to have been offering for a few weeks which is quite a clever cash flow move

Phil I do think it has a bearing. I prefer to spend my money with companies who have treated their customers fairly in the past. All the cruise lines have suffered but they have dealt with the situation in different ways. There are some who have gone above and beyond to support their customers. They deserve loyalty and increased business. I’m afraid after the experience with Azamara I don’t feel they deserve my loyalty although I sure there are many on here who will disagree and continue to support them. Unfortunately that’s why they feel they can treat customers in this way. 

12 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

Phil I do think it has a bearing. I prefer to spend my money with companies who have treated their customers fairly in the past. All the cruise lines have suffered but they have dealt with the situation in different ways. There are some who have gone above and beyond to support their customers. They deserve loyalty and increased business. I’m afraid after the experience with Azamara I don’t feel they deserve my loyalty although I sure there are many on here who will disagree and continue to support them. Unfortunately that’s why they feel they can treat customers in this way. 

I’d be interested to hear which companies have treated their customers well. I know people have been happier with Viking’s attitude, but haven’t particularly heard of others. Cruise Critic is full of topics complaining about the way in which people feel they’ve been treated by most cruise companies.

• Like 1

Oceana, windstar and Viking are looking after their guests, with effective communication and timely refunds which will result in further bookings. Azamara are still not covering themselves in glory, they behaved very poorly with regard to cancelling bookings and communication and are still incredibly ineffective with regard to communication and refunds. I know some of the people on here are incredibly loyal to Azamara but I feel sad that their loyalty is being taken for granted. I and many others on here refuse to be taken for granted and will take my custom to a company who delivers, Azamara sadly are not doing this. 

• Like 1

I do agree with Sunlover33 that Royal Caribbean brands are neither being honest with customers nor treating them well. This goes double for the cockeyed optimist commencement of sailing dates beginning a month from now.  That is not happening and pretending that it might is no way to treat your customers.  I am not getting on a cruise ship (or expedition ship, in my case) on May 23, but have to wait for Silversea to admit that our cruise will be cancelled in order to make other arrangements (cancel flights and hotels, whose companies are more realistic).  I would have taken a move over offer to same time next year, but I am losing trust in this company. This is not an Azamara issue.  It's a Royal Caribbean issue.  A couple of weeks ago, I might have accepted a move over offer (not at a greater price) to a year out.  If they wait another two weeks, I'll probably just take my refund, no matter when it comes back.  Until their is a vaccination, there is too much risk in extending risk even to 2021 at this time.  

• Like 1

I have been on the side of giving Azamara and the cruise industry a great deal of grace as we are going through unprecedented times. After weeks of struggling I decided a week ago Saturday to cancel my September Azamara cruise and a January NCL cruise. Both were paid in full and within the period of time for normal cancellation. Both said to expect the refund on my credit card in up to 10 days. NCL credited my credit card Saturday after 7 days. Today is the 10th day and nothing from Azamara. I felt 10 days was optimistic by both companies but was thrilled my NCL. I struggled when booking Azamara between them, Oceania, and Regent. If it takes months for a refund from Azamara and it took a week from NCL, it will certainly be on my mind when choosing a cruise when things get back to normal

• Like 2

7 hours ago, papa B me said:

I have been on the side of giving Azamara and the cruise industry a great deal of grace as we are going through unprecedented times. After weeks of struggling I decided a week ago Saturday to cancel my September Azamara cruise and a January NCL cruise. Both were paid in full and within the period of time for normal cancellation. Both said to expect the refund on my credit card in up to 10 days. NCL credited my credit card Saturday after 7 days. Today is the 10th day and nothing from Azamara. I felt 10 days was optimistic by both companies but was thrilled my NCL. I struggled when booking Azamara between them, Oceania, and Regent. If it takes months for a refund from Azamara and it took a week from NCL, it will certainly be on my mind when choosing a cruise when things get back to normal

We have been quoted a 30 day period for a refund. To us that seems reasonable.

Actually the biggest difficulty in obtaining travel refunds seems to be with our Canadian airlines.

That seems a bit odd to us since airlines probably can expect government aid.

33 minutes ago, nordski said:

We have been quoted a 30 day period for a refund. To us that seems reasonable.

Actually the biggest difficulty in obtaining travel refunds seems to be with our Canadian airlines.

That seems a bit odd to us since airlines probably can expect government aid.

30 business days. Not Calendar days. And it should be, not will be. This is code for good luck.

36 minutes ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

30 business days. Not Calendar days. And it should be, not will be. This is code for good luck.

Well, thanks for clarifying everything for us.

• Thanks 1

So to summarize, nobody who is due a full refund (due to the whole cruise being cancelled) has received one, even those whose trips were cancelled over 30 days ago.  The only people that have received a refund are those that got refunds because they decided to cancel a cruise.   

My cancelled NCL cruise was refunded promptly, with excellent communication.  As of yet, I haven't received anything from Azamara, not even an email.  Their communication and the way they treat customers is quite disappointing.  I doubt I will ever do business with them again.   

Edited by larhode
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, larhode said:

So to summarize, nobody who is due a full refund (due to the whole cruise being cancelled) has received one, even those whose trips were cancelled over 30 days ago.  The only people that have received a refund are those that got refunds because they decided to cancel a cruise.   

My cancelled NCL cruise was refunded promptly, with excellent communication.  As of yet, I haven't received anything from Azamara, not even an email.  Their communication and the way they treat customers is quite disappointing.  I doubt I will ever do business with them again.   

Yup!

We were on the Quest 17th March cruise which Azamara cancelled on 10th March. My DH telephoned our TA last week to see if there was any news re our refund. The chap he spoke to kept saying, right, you cancelled the cruise so you will get a FCC. My DH obviously informed him that we did not cancel the cruise, Azamara pulled the plug because of Covid 19,  plus we had confirmation from Azamara that we would get a 100% refund plus 25% FCC. Thought no more and we were just waiting for the refund to appear on our CC. Late yesterday we received an email from TA, again saying we cancelled the cruise and the only money we were due was our deposit and that was as a FCC, which we need to use by 31st July 2021. If we don’t use it by then we will be entitled to a refund. Too late to get in touch yesterday, but although we understand that these are very difficult times for all concerned, we are beginning to think we may need to do a chargeback to ensure we get back everything we paid! Very frustrating!

On 4/9/2020 at 4:44 PM, larhode said:

Just to let you know that some have received refunds, for example see Wendycruises post#590 in this roll call 

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

That’s one out of how many? 6 weeks to refund is shocking. What are they doing, they are not selling many if any cruises, struggling to inform anyone re further cancellations, looks like they have just decided to sit on our  money for a while. They only have three ships for goodness sake, I could understand if they had twenty or thirty ships to cancel and refund.Come on Azamara you are taking the proverbial P now. It’s time you started to have some respect for the people who booked with you and refunded the money people are owed. This is really not good enough. Never again will I book with this company again. 

Edited by sunlover33

10 hours ago, Lindy028 said:

Too late to get in touch yesterday, but although we understand that these are very difficult times for all concerned, we are beginning to think we may need to do a chargeback to ensure we get back everything we paid! Very frustrating!

2018 package holiday legislation stipulates that in the event of a significant change to a holiday, customers must be offered a full refund of the entire cost of the trip. our TA tried to tell us that Azamara were not offering refunds just re booking, but I pointed out the 2018 legislation. We were then  told we would need to wait for 30-40 days. 6 -8 weeks! Because Azamara were taking so long to refund the TA. The legislation states 14 days. I understand these are difficult times for the travel industry, I am happy to wait for a few weeks, but some cruise companies appear to have sorted refunds in much shorter time, I would love someone from Azamara to explain why such a long delay? https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/749498/package-travel-regulations-2018.pdf#page16

Edited by sunlover33

I was on the ill-fated Pursuit 2 March cruise from Buenos Aires to Lima when it was cancelled in mid-cruise. I was also booked on the 23 March cruise From Lima to Miami that was cancelled before it started. I have only admiration for the ship crew. I have opted for full refund of the second cruise and was informed by Azamara that the full cost would be refunded. My TA has told us to expect long delays for refund “processing”. Azamara will eventually refund the TA who will then refund me, but what if the TA goes bust? Has anyone ever asked Azamara to refund them directly?

Edited by blobby113

1 hour ago, blobby113 said:

I was on the ill-fated Pursuit 2 March cruise from Buenos Aires to Lima when it was cancelled in mid-cruise. I was also booked on the 23 March cruise From Lima to Miami that was cancelled before it started. I have only admiration for the ship crew. I have opted for full refund of the second cruise and was informed by Azamara that the full cost would be refunded. My TA has told us to expect long delays for refund “processing”. Azamara will eventually refund the TA who will then refund me, but what if the TA goes bust? Has anyone ever asked Azamara to refund them directly?

I asked, they said yes, then did nothing.  And they won't put anything in writing.  They don't answer emails but you can get them on the phone.   They just say they are backed up, which I believe is a lie.  They have 3 SMALL ships and they haven't refunded anyone.  Of course if you book a cruise, they are able to charge your card immediately.