Renderings and Itineraries are out for USA river cruising

Dauntless

After watching the email message from TH I logged onto the river site and Mississippi itineraries are showing up.  Not a lot of detail but fun to dream about!

Edited by molymoo
Deletion

I saw a youtube video showing a full tour of the ship in a lot of detail.

Looks like a cross between a viking river long boat and one of their ocean vessels.

Great looking two level explorers lounge but at a lower level than at sea.

All state rooms are above this level.

Wrap around promenade deck also retained.

300 and something passengers.

Very tempted.

Some Brits have already booked using their generous future cruise credit.

The ship is really stunning, and I like the Viking approach to travel so much that I'm tempted - and it's very odd to me to think that I could drive 15 minutes and board a Viking vessel 🙂 Living along the Mississippi all of my life, I've never given it much thought as a vacation. Growing up near and spending tons of time in Hannibal, MO -  it would be really cool to see the town and the tourist sites through new eyes!

But when looking at the pricing, I'm sure that we'll pick other places around the world first before doing one of the Mississippi itineraries. 

I do predict that Viking will be *very* successful with this new venture!

Jeff

• Like 1

I live  ten minutes from the lower landing  in St. Paul MN.

I will be  down there to welcome the first Viking  River boat in 2022.

If anyone wants to know about  points of interest to see and do  in the upper Mississippi I will be happy to give suggestions.

The  renditions looks lovely, especially  the explorer lounge on this river boat. 

I would love the the 15 day trip from St.Paul to New Orleans. 

Edited by Azulann

7 minutes ago, Azulann said:

If anyone wants to know about  points of interest to see and do  in the upper Mississippi I will be happy to give suggestions.

The  renditions looks lovely, especially  the explorer lounge on this river boat. 

Lunch at Mama Cossetta's should be on the list.

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Hey Azulann,

We saw Torstein Hagen's video yesterday and then went to the Viking Mississippi's web site.  Very interested in the St Paul to New Orleans cruise in October 2022; enough so to have our TA look into it for us. We have a tentative reservation that we will have to act on by Saturday midnight. The Mississippi River cruises are priced similar to those on Expedition ship(s). Quite expensive. Do like the design and amenities of the ship.  

Senior Gators

2 hours ago, Senior Gators said:

Hey Azulann,

We saw Torstein Hagen's video yesterday and then went to the Viking Mississippi's web site.  Very interested in the St Paul to New Orleans cruise in October 2022; enough so to have our TA look into it for us. We have a tentative reservation that we will have to act on by Saturday midnight. The Mississippi River cruises are priced similar to those on Expedition ship(s). Quite expensive. Do like the design and amenities of the ship.  

Senior Gators

I am sure they are expensive because they ahve to abide by  US labor laws , river docking  charges etc.

If you do  book this   for Oct 2022, I would love  see you two again  and have   lunch  or dinner with you two before you leave  . I expect you would fly into  MSP  airport the day before. St. Paul is a lovely river town  with lots of history. Minneapolis is also cool but tries to be  the New York  of the MIdwest. You  now see my prejudice . LOL

Rivalry has been going on since the  mid 1800. 

Ok, speculation ad nauseam.  Supposedly Edison Chouest is building and owning the vessels.  I also love the renderings which bring much of the ocean ships to the rivers.  As to pricing, it is really no more than the faux paddle wheelers.  Here's my issue.  Nowhere on Edison Chouest do they show an actual build contract.  I get the US built/owned, leased to Viking USA.  This really big deal will be can they do the no kids policy and what will they be like with US crew.   Would y'all really want me to take care of you???🍸

Hey Jim,

What else do we have to do but speculate  on an evening while we are all  stay in place  in our homes during the pandemic?

I am just happy that  we  will   in the  Midwest  be close  to a Viking  river boat in 2022 !!!! 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Ok, speculation ad nauseam.  Supposedly Edison Chouest is building and owning the vessels.  I also love the renderings which bring much of the ocean ships to the rivers.  As to pricing, it is really no more than the faux paddle wheelers.  Here's my issue.  Nowhere on Edison Chouest do they show an actual build contract.  I get the US built/owned, leased to Viking USA.  This really big deal will be can they do the no kids policy and what will they be like with US crew.   Would y'all really want me to take care of you???🍸

Given the slamming that NCL got for their US flag Hawaii cruises, and that Blount gets for their cruises, I expect Viking will be in for a bit of a surprise.

58 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Given the slamming that NCL got for their US flag Hawaii cruises, and that Blount gets for their cruises, I expect Viking will be in for a bit of a surprise.

Hi Chief,

Hope all is well with you ashore and afloat.  You are spot on.  In the very early days of my seagoing career, I was an Oil Patch Rat.  Had the "privilege" of driving both Blount and Choest products (among others).  Chouest built sturdy, well powered but noisy supply ships.  Nothing wrong with them for that but if they build for Viking, someone else will probably be tasked with fit and finish and, I hope, really good sound shielding.  Haha, Blount passenger vessels still look like the old oil field hulls...😎  Always good to hear from you.

Edited by Jim Avery

16 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Hi Chief,

Hope all is well with you ashore and afloat.  You are spot on.  In the very early days of my seagoing career, I was an Oil Patch Rat.  Had the "privilege" of driving both Blount and Choest products (among others).  Chouest built sturdy, well powered but noisy supply ships.  Nothing wrong with them for that but if they build for Viking, someone else will probably be tasked with fit and finish and, I hope, really good sound shielding.  Haha, Blount passenger vessels still look like the old oil field hulls...😎  Always good to hear from you.

Hey, Jim;

All is well here, since we've been declared "essential" personnel, but our crew changes have been frozen, no idea how long I'll be pushing oil up the East Coast.  Feel for my relief, who can't come back to work.  Hadn't thought about the craftsmanship of the builds, but makes sense, as US yards are way behind European yards in quality shipbuilding.  Was mainly thinking of the crew, and the US version of hospitality:  "do you want fries with that?", and that can be a culture shock to many cruisers more accustomed to the international crew.  If Viking is anything like NCL, the hotel staff will be minimum wage.

I did 12 years in the offshore oil field, but on mobile rigs and ships, not on the crew/work boats.

• Like 1

OP, thanks for this thread.

I spent some pleasant time looking at the cruises and the boat, especially the fifteen day one that goes the full length of the river.

I also realized that over my years of land travel, I have visited all the ports of call and have spent a good period of time in all of them.

My husband is greatly relieved that I came to that revitalization.  🤑

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2020 at 8:40 AM, Homosassa said:

OP, thanks for this thread.

I spent some pleasant time looking at the cruises and the boat, especially the fifteen day one that goes the full length of the river.

I also realized that over my years of land travel, I have visited all the ports of call and have spent a good period of time in all of them.

My husband is greatly relieved that I came to that revitalization.  🤑

Not "the full length of the river" by any means. There is, in fact, disagreement as to where the river starts.

Azulann, we also are close to the “Twin Cities” only just a bit to the east on the St Croix River.  We will be there for the first arrival.  The cities offer lots of great places to go and some awesome music venues in Minneapolis.