Further Cancellations - Alaska, San Francisco, Radiance and Legend

lensonlife

1 minute ago, quattrohead said:

I am going to stick my neck out and say they will be scrapped and the new builds will survive and be delivered, eventually.

Lol, not sure you are sticking your neck out, theirs is def out there.  I see no way they walk away, absolutely none.  We will see.  

Supposed to sail at the end of August but now we're just waiting for an update with everyone else. This looks like it's a combination of the delay in construction and the suspension of operations. I've been making payments for awhile so that money would just go into savings until we figure out what to do.

They should cancel because they would only lose $200 million, probably less where as the Mardi Gras is costing $950 million to build. It will be more economical per pax to run and be cleaner to operate.

The only time new builds get cancelled/stopped is when the company goes under, indeed this is how MSC renewed their fleet when they bought the ships being built for Festival.

3 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

They should cancel because they would only lose $200 million, probably less where as the Mardi Gras is costing $950 million to build. It will be more economical per pax to run and be cleaner to operate.

The only time new builds get cancelled/stopped is when the company goes under, indeed this is how MSC renewed their fleet when they bought the ships being built for Festival.

Ummm, who said anything about going under?  Can you explain how they only lose 200 mill?

I have a feeling it's more of a porting out of NYC issue than a Radiance issue, but it could be a combination of both. I have a feeling my September cruise will be cancelled, and I'm (almost) resigned to that - even though I'm broken-hearted. I will likely request a refund, because I was really looking forward to the Canada/New England itinerary. (We're not big fans of the heat & sun. :classic_wacko:) I'm not sure I can start another countdown for a 2021 cruise - I've already been counting down for a year and a half. :classic_sad:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mother27 said:

I have a feeling it's more of a porting out of NYC issue than a Radiance issue, but it could be a combination of both. I have a feeling my September cruise will be cancelled, and I'm (almost) resigned to that - even though I'm broken-hearted. I will likely request a refund, because I was really looking forward to the Canada/New England itinerary. (We're not big fans of the heat & sun. :classic_wacko:) I'm not sure I can start another countdown for a 2021 cruise - I've already been counting down for a year and a half. :classic_sad:

I think you will be fine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mother27 said:

No, the other ships leaving from NY are still showing as "bookable".  But, I can understand "people not wanting to leave from NY".

I'm in the heart of NYC....just got back from CVS & supermarket.  Streets are empty and everyone in masks.  It reminds me of the cold war days (1950s) when we all had gas masks...just in case.  Pictures you're seeing on TV is not false news.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

No, the other ships leaving from NY are still showing as "bookable".  But, I can understand "people not wanting to leave from NY".

I'm in the heart of NYC....just got back from CVS & supermarket.  Streets are empty and everyone in masks.  It reminds me of the cold war days (1950s) when we all had gas masks...just in case.  Pictures you're seeing on TV is not false news.

You're lucky, all I had for protection was my school desk (in the early 60's).

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

That makes me sad - not just for me, but for NYC. One of the biggest draws to me for this itinerary was leaving from NYC. I was really wanting to see a little bit of the Big Apple. We were coming in the day before the cruise left, staying near Times Square, and were going to catch a Broadway show. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I’m worried about the New Yorkers. We love NYC, and are saddened by the news. We visit often and were looking forward to cruising from the city. Stay safe. It’s a strange time. 

45 minutes ago, Psweets said:

I am booked on a July cruise on the Radiance.  Does anyone know when Carnival is suppose to make an announcement today?

The email I received last Friday indicating that Carnival would be sending an update today was emailed at 11:00 p.m. (central time) I suspect the announcement today will be sent out similarly late.

19 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

I’m worried about the New Yorkers. We love NYC, and are saddened by the news. We visit often and were looking forward to cruising from the city. Stay safe. It’s a strange time. 

Strange is the understatement of the day.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Stay hunkered down

Besides the gutting of the Victory already started like mentioned above, a lot of the materials for the dry dock would have already been purchased so there wouldn't be much additional cost to just continue with the refit. Add in any contract cancellation fees they would have to pay the shipyard that it would probably be an even wash. I do expect the work to be delayed which would be good news for both parties. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shof515 said:

during the transatlantic to the shipyard, they are did some work on the ship and from what i saw on various sites that posted pictures. the inside of the ship is already gutted. there is no turning back. the transformation of the victory is happening and i wont be surprised to see it sit at the shipyard for many months. most likely both carnival and shipyard has an agreement to wave any additional fees due to the additional time in drydock

Where can we see the pictures of what they’ve done so far?

2 hours ago, bigcstyle4 said:

Where can we see the pictures of what they’ve done so far?

I found these two. I think I saw two others- inclusive of the covering of a pool being removed, and maybe deck sanding? Can’t find them though. I’ve also never sailed Victory- so don’t really know what I’m looking at! 

875E75D9-C149-4DDB-A71C-60D28ECD81C9.png

FB6EEFB7-1AE3-4A92-BC07-CDE70F83FA39.png

7 hours ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

Besides the gutting of the Victory already started like mentioned above, a lot of the materials for the dry dock would have already been purchased so there wouldn't be much additional cost to just continue with the refit. Add in any contract cancellation fees they would have to pay the shipyard that it would probably be an even wash. I do expect the work to be delayed which would be good news for both parties. 

Again, zero chance of walking from a ship.  

20 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I think he meant to say "zero chance of walking away from a ship" as in there is too much invested to just desert the project at this stage. Just a guess.

Thanks. That is much clearer and probably true.  🙂

• Like 1