What is the earliest you'd rebook?

stlrod

We are booked for Oct 11. Trying to stay optimistic, but not sure how this will all shake out. 

We are going to decide early June to keep reservation or reschedule.

Not sure what  post pandemic tourism will look like.

That is a good question. We were scheduled to cruise next month on the Rhine / Danube but of course not going anywhere this summer and most likely not even in the Fall.  I doubt we would re-book until there  is an 'all clear' and a vaccine to be truthful. Also I wonder how much time those wonderful European countries will need to recover and be in a place where tourists would even be welcomed. I'm being optimistic here in thinking that the cruise companies will be able to withstand the financial impact and be back on the rivers.

11 hours ago, stlrod said:

Would love to rebook for the Fall, but will probably wait until Spring or next Fall.  How long are others waiting before taking another chance?

We changed our April Netherlands river cruise to an October Ireland land tour.  We're hoping that pans out.  

We are booked for the lower Danube (Bucharest to Budapest) in early October.  This is already a rebooking - as it was cancelled due to low water 2 years ago.  If it gets cancelled again, highly doubt I would try a 3rd time.

We have extra days scheduled before and after the cruise - but always book our hotels with free cancellation options - even though it costs a bit more.

I feel very blessed to have traveled as much as DH and I have over the last 5 - 7 years.  Not sure we will be able to travel so freely in the future given the current situation.  

Stay safe everyone!!

Fran

• Like 1

Can't predict the earliest I would rebook.  Have no clue when airline travel will be back or when I would be comfortable getting on a plane with several hundred random folks.  I am still booked for this July but am waiting for the cancellation. Hopefully, summer 2021 will be OK.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, franski said:

We are booked for the lower Danube (Bucharest to Budapest) in early October.  This is already a rebooking - as it was cancelled due to low water 2 years ago.  If it gets cancelled again, highly doubt I would try a 3rd time.

We have extra days scheduled before and after the cruise - but always book our hotels with free cancellation options - even though it costs a bit more.

I feel very blessed to have traveled as much as DH and I have over the last 5 - 7 years.  Not sure we will be able to travel so freely in the future given the current situation.  

Stay safe everyone!!

Fran

We rebooked this cruise for Spring of 2021 HOPEFULLY 

1 hour ago, cruiser02 said:

We rebooked this cruise for Spring of 2021 HOPEFULLY 

It is a great itinerary...  We did it with Viking a number of years ago, and have rebooked with Avalon as we are scheduled to be on the boat for 9 nights (instead of 7) - getting to Transylvania for 2 night before getting on the boat.

Hopefully you will be able to get there  - it is a wonderful trip.

Fran

We have an Egypt cruise scheduled for 09/21 which I am comfortable with. We also have China scheduled for 9/20. That one I am not comfortable with...our work hours have been cut significantly and when things attempt to return to normal and work schedules resume who will be able to take vacation time?  And with the tragic financial times ahead for the entire world who can afford a vacation?..not to mention of course vaccine availability etc etc

We still have a Scenic south of France booked for July 2020, and am hopeful it will go forward. Just lost a land trip to Kenya in May, that the tour provider cancelled, but am considering re-booking for September 2020. As soon as travel resumes, I will resume traveling. 

No cruises booked.  I shall wait until early next year to assess situation before deciding.  Do not care if the cost will significantly increase then.  My safety is much more important than money, and I do not want to take valuable medical resources away from others in case I get infected during trip.

Booked two land tours this year, in June and October.  Will cancel June tour (more likely cancelled by tour company), and watch situation before cancelling the October one. 

Agree with others about waiting for vaccine and doubt other countries will be ready for visitors.

Edited by dreamercruise

We booked our May Budapest to Prague tour for May 2021 in mid February...hoping things will be sorted by then, but if not, then we will just have to re-book.  It's for my husband's retirement, so we (hopefully) have many years still to travel.  I notice that the cabins are starting to get filled up, possibly from those who had their tour cancelled this year.

I had hoped for a short cruise of three to five days as work schedule does not allow me more. It would have been any time this year on the Rhine. Now with the borders closed and no return whatsoever to normal tourism in May, I will wait for June to come and then look at a three day trip in November or December. My budget will now not allow a five day trip. If I needed air travel I would be wary of booking anything for this year and certainly not re-book any time soon.

So what do people in the industry think? Here is one example: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/europe-could-be-cruising-july-us-big-unknown-amawaterways-schreiner

Perhaps it is helpful.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Nice to know crews are being cared for, I know there are several companies who look after the hiring of cruise staff, hope they are all able to do the same.  When you think of it, the crews give up a lot of their lives to give us a great week or two,  being away from family for so long.  It's nice to know that there is help to get them through this crisis.  

On 4/4/2020 at 9:55 AM, terry&mike said:

We still have a Scenic south of France booked for July 2020, and am hopeful it will go forward. Just lost a land trip to Kenya in May, that the tour provider cancelled, but am considering re-booking for September 2020. As soon as travel resumes, I will resume traveling. 

We are booked on the Seine in July.  Can't imagine that things will be normal enough to take a trans Atlantic flight by then.

Our May river cruise was cancelled by AMA.  They have a 5% early re booking for next year;.  Have to book something by June.  We are taking the 115% FCC;  so with that money and the 5% early re booking; we hope to stay with the Rhine River cruise for next May.  We were booked for this May;  moving back a year;  hopefully things will be back to normal.

7 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I moved a cancelled bike and barge trip on the Moselle from May 2020 to September 2021.

Please do a trip report when you're back.  The Moselle is beautiful, I think you'll have a great time.

Are you with Radreison?

21 minutes ago, ural guy said:

Please do a trip report when you're back.  The Moselle is beautiful, I think you'll have a great time.

Are you with Radreison?

No, we booked through a company (not sure I can mention the name - might be considered a travel agent) that markets owner/operated bike and barge tours to the North American market. There are a whole lot of barges plying European waters this way. I will be on the Iris.

I have wanted to sail the Moselle for years. When my sister suggested we do a bike and barge together, that was the only river I would consider; I have done a lot of cycling in Europe (in my younger days) but never got to this part of the world.

Edited by gnome12