June or July

rfbk50

I am checking prices for a 7 day inside passage cruise to Alaska and find that if I go the last week in June, I can save at least $500 over the same cruise the first week of July. How is the weather the last week in June compared to July. I know in May prices are much less but it rains a lot. Thanks

You have a better chance of more rain in July compared to May. Historically - May and June have better weather (less rain) compared to July and August.

Though, it can rain at any time in Alaska, so be prepared. I personally would go with the June dates - though May would be my first choice. Our July 4th cruise a few years ago saw continuous rain.

The first week of July is probably more expensive because it is over a holiday.

According to the Weather Channel, monthly average rainfall in Anchorage, if it is representative of your proposed cruise, is

May = 0.70 inches

June = 1.06 inches

July = 1.7 inches

See http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USAK0012&from=search

May has the least rainfall of the cruise season. The only time with less rainfall are the winter months.

Anchorage, being shielded by the mountains of the Kenai, is very dry compared to the area you'll be cruising - Southeast Alaska. However, it is true that as the summer goes on it gets wetter and wetter, on average.

Murray

Right, the same source I quoted for Anchorage gives the folloing average monthly rainfalls for Sitka on the coast in Southeast AK,

May = 4.38 inches

June = 3.28 inches

July = 3.85 inches.

The driest month in the year is June.

Source,

http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USAK0224&from=search

The average monthly rain data for both Anchorage and Sika are given in one bar graph at the following location,

http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/climo-compare.html?locid=USAK0012&sfld1=Anchorage,%20AK&sfld2=Sitka,%20AK&clocid1=USAK0012&clocid2=

You can also obtain the temperature data for the same locations.

Archived