NSW Police has ordered Pacific Explorer to leave Sydney!!

26 minutes ago, rickays said:

My thought is the Government is telling the cruise ships to leave and go to their home port is one way of saying there will be no cruising in Australia for the rest of this cruise season.  Winter is approaching and the ships can not stay floating around at sea during the winter storms.  All they are doing is wasting time and keeping unnecessary crew onboard, coming into port for more fuel and supplies. The ships leave Australia at the end of the season, so why not leave now. Go to your home port, send crew home, put your ship somewhere safe until this is over and then we can all start to cruise again!

Except they don't. 

Pacific Explorer as just one of a of a number stays here year round.

3 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Except they don't. 

Pacific Explorer as just one of a of a number stays here year round.

But she is not registered here.  Also there is no cruising here now so her unnecessary crew should be sent home and P&O need to put her in a safe place until cruising starts here again.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

No, I believe it is a case of cruise ships cruising under Flags of Convenience.  Would be interesting to see a list of cruise ships cruising in Aust waters and their "Country of Convenience".  I wonder what the medical facilities would be like in these countries.

Aust is already paying a high price for infected passengers off cruise ships.  

i think the medical facilities are OK in the UK where the Pacific Explorer is registered, but they have a lot of COVID in the at the moment.

46 minutes ago, rickays said:

But she is not registered here.  Also there is no cruising here now so her unnecessary crew should be sent home and P&O need to put her in a safe place until cruising starts here again.

It doesn't really matter where the ship is flagged (in this case the UK) she is home ported in Australia and the company home office is in Australia. If they furlough the extra crew and they go home why should the ship sail half way around the world just to turn around and come back? Waste of time and fuel and green house gases. I wonder what the parking fees are for a 266 meter ship are per day. Plus food for the vital crew and fuel to keep the ship alive during the layover.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It doesn't really matter where the ship is flagged (in this case the UK) she is home ported in Australia and the company home office is in Australia. If they furlough the extra crew and they go home why should the ship sail half way around the world just to turn around and come back? Waste of time and fuel and green house gases. I wonder what the parking fees are for a 266 meter ship are per day. Plus food for the vital crew and fuel to keep the ship alive during the layover.

She only homeported in Australia because she was given access to various ports. COVID19 changed everything about cruising. We in very much uncharted territory.  

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

i think the medical facilities are OK in the UK where the Pacific Explorer is registered, but they have a lot of COVID in the at the moment.

In the UK 700 odd dying per day.

1 hour ago, rickays said:

Being where she was was a safe place.

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

Being where she was was a safe place.

I guess the down side of registering in a place like Bermuda or wherever for purely financial purposes comes back to bite when the shxt hits the fan. 

5 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

She only homeported in Australia because she was given access to various ports. COVID19 changed everything about cruising. We in very much uncharted territory.  

She homeported here because that is where all her sailings were, and where she did business, and bought all her supplies from.

She sailed out of Sydney year round, so not sure which home port you think she should have had.

• Like 1

Just now, Pushka said:

I guess the down side of registering in a place like Bermuda or wherever for purely financial purposes comes back to bite when the shxt hits the fan. 

Standard business.  Qantas also base some planes overseas, companies also offshore staff overseas, all have tradeoffs when things go wrong.

Just now, The_Big_M said:

She homeported here because that is where all her sailings were, and where she did business, and bought all her supplies from.

She sailed out of Sydney year round, so not sure which home port you think she should have had.

We have a cruise ship berthed here in Adelaide. The company is based and registered here for tax purposes. She's allowed to stay. 

2 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Sydney is closed. So she not homeported in this current environment. Forget what it was going to be. It it now what it will be. 

whats the point of relocating it anyway? Isnt it like empty and just looking for a way to park? The company is Australian, the port is located in Australia. Australia is its home port, why go anywhere else? I just read a thread about ships being kicked out at sea to wait there till situation resolves. I find it a bit silly. People are going nuts these days. I am with SinbadThePorter on it

3 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

One thing I haven't seen a lot of discussion about is what is the minimum amount of crew requirement to sail one of these ships?

I've seen figures quoted around 120-200.

That would include engineering and bridge crew, and a few chefs and medical staff to keep them all fed and cared for.

All of the hotel staff, cruise director staff, and shop/spa staff would obviously go, as would many of the security staff.

48 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

I've seen figures quoted around 120-200.

That would include engineering and bridge crew, and a few chefs and medical staff to keep them all fed and cared for.

All of the hotel staff, cruise director staff, and shop/spa staff would obviously go, as would many of the security staff.

They would need some hotel staff - cooks, waiters, a small number of room stewards. I suppose there would need to be some maintenance staff to chip the rust off the rails etc.

It does seem this pandemic has highlighted a bit of an issue when it comes to who is responsible for a cruise ship. The ship is registered in one country, the company's headquarters are in another country but the ship's tour route is in a completely different part of the world. This makes it easy for countries to say your ship is not our problem. This is another issue cruise lines will need to sort out before they can get business running again. 

Alright latest news is that all cruise ships have been ordered to leave as they are "a risk to our health system"

I think that is a bit of a political stunt and diversion of attention to make it look like the government is doing something good.

As you can see there are multiple ships off our coast from mainland china. The green ones are predominately cargo ships. Bit of a moot point to banish the small number of cruise ships from our waters just to divert attention from the fact that our government stuffed up by allowing such a virus into the country and onto that ship.

coast1.JPG

coast2.JPG

coast3.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We must have freight. They carry oil, medicines, supplies. We don't need cruise ships at the moment. 

Moot point. They all have chinese crews. The cruise ship crews of some ships can be certain are 100% free of the virus and if they stay on the ship they will remain 100% free. Therefore political stunt. The number of necessary cargo ships with a greater number of more high risk crews prove its a political stunt.

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Standard business.  Qantas also base some planes overseas, companies also offshore staff overseas, all have tradeoffs when things go wrong.

Qantas has no aircraft "based" outside of Australia. They have a foreign crew base in the UK, but they don't have actual aircraft attached to it. All are VH (Australian) registered, and ultimately home-based out of Mascot.

There are the various Jetstar subsidiaries, but their aircraft are locally-registered with their headquarters in their respective countries.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

Moot point. They all have chinese crews. The cruise ship crews of some ships can be certain are 100% free of the virus and if they stay on the ship they will remain 100% free. Therefore political stunt. The number of necessary cargo ships with a greater number of more high risk crews prove its a political stunt.

As I said on the other thread I can no longer respond to your political comments. Best wishes. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

As I said on the other thread I can no longer respond to your political comments. Best wishes. 

There is nothing political about it.

What is wrong with doing the right thing and showing humanitarian support to a cruise ship crew who have helped generate 5 billion annually to our economy and bring in countless jobs. It makes me ashamed to be Australian to see our government demand they all leave our waters. If I were running this country or in charge during this crisis I would let the cruise ships dock in a safe port but the crew stays on board or are flown home and the ship laid up until the crisis is over. I feel that is the right thing to do. As proven with my above map they are no more of a risk than the higher risk cargo ships bringing essential freight to our country.

8 hours ago, icat2000 said:

Sydney is closed. So she not homeported in this current environment. Forget what it was going to be. It it now what it will be. 

No reason that Sydney has to be closed, except meanness and xenophobia.

Of course, everything will always be what they will be - but that doesn't mean that is a good or worthy state of being.

• Like 2