NSW Police has ordered Pacific Explorer to leave Sydney!!

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Some are still on board the Coral Princess, but passengers have been disembarked when flights or cars for Florida residents have been available.

P.S. Only 70 passengers left on the Coral after the current lot of disembarkations. They are probably from countries where there are only a small number of people so it is difficult to arrange charter flights.

We have friends from Sydney who were entertainers on Carnival Breeze. They did a FB live session last night to celebrate their escape today from 14 days in isolation (at home) after their return from Florida (via Dubai!!) after sailings were cancelled. They report that crew from South Africa are still stuck in USA, as they cannot return home to Sth Africa at this time.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Les, I hope you don't think my recent comment was taking a run at NSW Police. I do think they could have handled this better. In my opinion the whole "ordering the ship to leave" was a bit much, shouldn't that order come from the Crown? With the police obliged to enforce it? What happened seemed like the commissioner acted unilaterally. Of course both our countries being part of the commonwealth the laws would be similar but different. So perhaps the Commissioner could make that blanket order.

I did have a bit of a run at our own RCMP a few posts back, I can't understand how a couple of travelers who returned after the Quarantine Act was declared are blatantly refusing to comply with the self isolation requirement. Don't understand why they weren't arrested and charged. No use having a law in place if you don't enforce it.

Not sure who you mean by Crown? The order to leave was made I believe by the Commissioner of Police. Or a rubber stamp by him if he didn't order it directly. It's a state matter at that time. 

15 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Not sure who you mean by Crown? The order to leave was made I believe by the Commissioner of Police. Or a rubber stamp by him if he didn't order it directly. It's a state matter at that time. 

By Crown I presume he means a Commonwealth or Federal body such as Border Force. I think the jurisdiction relating to power between state and federal in NSW was explained earlier in this (or another) thread.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Geez the NSW Police are getting a bit of a pounding from a lot of people, not fair.   In days gone by anybody who had a go at cops got thrown in the slammer, guaranteed.😈

Times have changed in the digital era and in particularly with the "metoo" movement. People are now calling out injustice, corruption and are not afraid to shame and record even the police now. They have lost their teeth. 

I am sorry to say but in this instant the commissioner has disgraced himself and the entire police force by his biased comments and one tracked investigation. People know this. I have written to my local MPs both State and Federal and in my electorate I am in an opposition seat now. There is a lot of community sentiment coming in about this and passengers of the ships have been contacting their local members about it. What we are seeing is corruption and abuse of power. The sentiment is out there I can guarantee it and people are talking in the community and this police investigation stinks of a cover up.

Do not forget that millions of Australians have done cruises, they love the crew, they have an awesome time and keep going back. We had Spectrum of the Seas giving free cruises to our fire fighters and people still love the cruise industry and feel sorry for it and the travel industry in general. People know what this is. We have all seen the emails by now that Ruby Princess sent the NSW Department of Health. We all know Ruby Princess supplied the health department with swabs of something that was not influenza. We all know that the Ruby Princess requested an ambulance on arrival. We all know the facts.

When we see the police chasing the innocent party trying to give them a gag order and trash their name of course people are going to run down the name of the police. They picked the wrong side. Never in my life did I ever think I would see the day that I could no longer respect and look up to the police force in this state. I see them now as corrupt. That is all I see them. Check out the cruise line pages and the police are copping it big time.

Latest update, indicating further why blame has appeared to lie between NSW Health and Border Force - who are the responsible authorities..

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/border-force-allowed-ruby-princess-to-dock-20200408-p54i95.html

"According to the sources, the harbour master was told by the Border Force officer that they needed to check with a supervisor and 15 minutes later, the officer called back and said the ship could dock."

"Premier Gladys Berejiklian told her MPs in a recent party room meeting that Border Force had wrongly told NSW Health that the cruise ship was deemed "low-risk" before it docked on March 19."

An MP who was in the party room meeting said Ms Berejiklian "made it very clear that we did not fail, we were not responsible".

"She was very defiant. We were absolutely not to blame," the MP said.

Yet, the Police Commissioner only makes noises against the cruise companies... "Look over there."

Yes, there are critical questions which need answering... like why the Police investigation is not investigating the key parties responsible for border control and who gave approval for the entry decision.

Edited by The_Big_M

If the ship has sick passengers on board then from my understanding it is illegal to turn them away if their life is in danger and need urgent medical support. There are international laws and treaties that make it clear we have to offer support.

Allowing the ship to dock or not is an irrelevant distraction. 

The passengers should have been quarantined.

3 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

If the ship has sick passengers on board then from my understanding it is illegal to turn them away if their life is in danger and need urgent medical support. There are international laws and treaties that make it clear we have to offer support.

Quarantined on the ship they should have been, not released, at least we would have known where they were.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

By Crown I presume he means a Commonwealth or Federal body such as Border Force. I think the jurisdiction relating to power between state and federal in NSW was explained earlier in this (or another) thread.

the Crown can be representative of fed or state.

On the matter of the investigation into the Ruby Princess debacle, I hope it does not result in an enquiry like the one into the handling of the Brisbane Valley dams during the 2011 floods. Experts involved gave evidence that contrasted with the truth (I am avoiding using the 'L' word). This is not my opinion, this was revealed by an independent  hydrological expert and The Australian newspaper.

The Commission of Inquiry was about to be concluded. At the last minute, the Commissioner extended the hearing, with evidence from people identified by the newspaper. This evidence totally changed the focus of the hearing. However, some people believe that there were some politically inconvenient facts that would have been revealed if the scope of the hearing was not so limited.

Edited by Aus Traveller

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8200765/Ruby-Princess-night-raid-police-captain-questioned-virus-debacle-15-dead-600-infected.html

Ruby Princess cruise ship is raided by hazmat-clad police in the dead of night as they search for evidence and question captain over debacle that's left 15 dead and 600 infected

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8202341/The-small-object-unlock-mystery-Ruby-Princess.html

Police have sized the black box from the Ruby Princess cruise ship to find out what crew members said to each other and port officials before hundreds of COVID-19 patients disembarked in Sydney.

Edited by icat2000

To clarify my use of the word "Crown" Les pretty much has it right. Crown council in Canada would be like the Crown prosecutor or State Prosecutor in Australia. They would seek a court order from a judge to have the ship expelled and the Cruise company would be able to show cause why it shouldn't. If the court order is granted then the police serve and enforce the order. The police here couldn't just order a ship to leave without a court order. The State (or in our case Provincial)and Federal Governments make the laws. Courts interpret the laws and the police enforce the laws. 

Can the police just make up an order like that in Australia? Without seeking approval of the court.

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

To clarify my use of the word "Crown" Les pretty much has it right. Crown council in Canada would be like the Crown prosecutor or State Prosecutor in Australia. They would seek a court order from a judge to have the ship expelled and the Cruise company would be able to show cause why it shouldn't. If the court order is granted then the police serve and enforce the order. The police here couldn't just order a ship to leave without a court order. The State (or in our case Provincial)and Federal Governments make the laws. Courts interpret the laws and the police enforce the laws. 

Can the police just make up an order like that in Australia? Without seeking approval of the court.

In a state of emergency as has been declared apparently things can be done without court approval.

48 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8200765/Ruby-Princess-night-raid-police-captain-questioned-virus-debacle-15-dead-600-infected.html

Ruby Princess cruise ship is raided by hazmat-clad police in the dead of night as they search for evidence and question captain over debacle that's left 15 dead and 600 infected

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8202341/The-small-object-unlock-mystery-Ruby-Princess.html

Police have sized the black box from the Ruby Princess cruise ship to find out what crew members said to each other and port officials before hundreds of COVID-19 patients disembarked in Sydney.

Hopefully getting voice recordings from the bridge will clear them. I hope Princess has made copies before the police get it and vital information goes missing. I can only hope that they have sent all the data to head office so that it cant be tampered with or altered or erased.

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

I like some of the language used in the newspaper articles: "police storm the ship" "raid in the dead of night". Anything to make it more dramatic.

We know that NSW Police are conducting an inquiry. Of course they would have to visit the ship to interview officers and retrieve any evidence.

Edited by Aus Traveller

55 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

What a ridiculous headline - raided in the dead of the night - then according to the article it was 7pm!  Typical Daily Mail article. I heard the police commissioner just now speak about it and it sounded like a pre-arranged visit to the ship by the police, he siad the captain co-operated at all times. I would think it is a normal part of the investigation.

They did take the black box with them, which would be expected.

Leigh

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

What a ridiculous headline - raided in the dead of the night - then according to the article it was 7pm!  Typical Daily Mail article. I heard the police commissioner just now speak about it and it sounded like a pre-arranged visit to the ship by the police, he siad the captain co-operated at all times. I would think it is a normal part of the investigation.

They did take the black box with them, which would be expected.

Leigh

Well it was dark at 7pm!. Damn media. We would be better off without it. What would a ship black box record? Just Bridge conversations? 

21 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Well it was dark at 7pm!. Damn media. We would be better off without it. What would a ship black box record? Just Bridge conversations? 

They said in the newspaper article that the 'black box recorder' recorded conversations between the Bridge and the Medical Centre. There could have been phone conversations, but a lot of the communications between departments on the ship are via email. Princess stated last Friday that copies of these emails had been supplied to the Premier's Department along with emails between the ship and NSW Health and Border Force.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I like some of the language used in the newspaper articles: "police storm the ship" "raid in the dead of night". Anything to make it more dramatic.

We know that NSW Police are conducting an inquiry. Of course they would have to visit the ship to interview officers and retrieve any evidence.

That just clickbait from journalists they all do it to get you to read the article. I think its good that the black box is being examined. I didn't know that Cruiseships had one similar to airplanes. It was on the news on the radio too.

Geez more conspiracies from that guy. I'm guessing there are only a few laboratories able to extract the data from the "Black Box" and chain of evidence would log the unit in sealed wrappings throughout it's journey.

Was there really a "Police storm the ship" headline? There wasn't enough melodrama already? 

Les, I suspect that this operation would be done by a police force not tied to the alleged "Criminal" activity that this investigation is meant to explore.

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Geez more conspiracies from that guy. I'm guessing there are only a few laboratories able to extract the data from the "Black Box" and chain of evidence would log the unit in sealed wrappings throughout it's journey.

Was there really a "Police storm the ship" headline? There wasn't enough melodrama already? 

Les, I suspect that this operation would be done by a police force not tied to the alleged "Criminal" activity that this investigation is meant to explore.

There is no conspiracy. The truth is Princess has already released the communication with NSW Health as well as Port Authorities, supplied swab samples, influenza results and requested an ambulance on arrival. The ship did not have testing kits for the virus from china and were informed by NSW Health that tests for it would be undertaken on the swabs with same day results.

It is 100% clear that Princess was 10% honest and did not hide anything from the start.

The fact that the police are not investigating government departments like NSW Ports, NSW Health, Border Force clearly indicates that it is a one tracked investigation and that makes it corrupt.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes. There was a "Police storm the ship" and "Dead of night raid".  The links to these UK newspaper articles are included in a post by icat2000 further up this page.

The fact that the police are not investigating government departments like NSW Ports, NSW Health, Border Force clearly indicates that it is a one tracked investigation and that makes it corrupt.

Where is your evidence that Government Departments are not being investigated?