The "Buffet" and the Future of Cruising

wilsonsmw

32 minutes ago, Tarrian said:

Oh and what really pisses me off is the arrogant guest who fills their personal water bottle up at the drink station, clearly when looking at the big sign "Don't use personal water bottles".

They can put up all the signage they want. Many don't care, they see the signs but choose to ignore. 

12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We cruise Celebrity but have always avoided the Oceanview Cafe long before this. Not our thing. Agree with others, self serve needs to go way and staff up the OVC with servers. 

I also avoid buffets both at home and on cruiselines. I like the Aqua Spa on the S class ships but even there just request a soup and small sandwich. If I feel like dessert I'll go to the Bistro on 5 mid afternoon. 

For all the entirely valid reasons mentioned in this thread, self serve buffets will surely have to end,.

As for the passengers who insist on walking past the hand washing bays and also decline to sanitise, they absolutely should not be allowed in to any eating facity under any circumstances.

Nor i.m.h.o., should the vest wearing individuals who wander into the buffet after spending time by the pool, or the gym, and insist on sharing with everyone the contents of their sweaty arm pits and other unmentionable areas.

• Like 2

I can't see them hire more staff to staff-serve the buffets and even if they did, I can't see them hiring enough to limit long lines.  In my personal opinion, I would happily love to see them replace the buffet with a cooked to order "food hall", similar to what virgin is doing.

1 hour ago, OuiOnboard said:

Right! Unfortunately, stupid is as stupid.....

My DW laughs when I call the buffet        " The trough". We try and avoid that. Some of the guests think tongs are for wearing in the hot tub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tarrian said:

Oh and what really pisses me off is the arrogant guest who fills their personal water bottle up at the drink station, clearly when looking at the big sign "Don't use personal water bottles".

I think it would be helpful if the sign said "Dont use personal water bottles as if the mouth touches the spout you could transfer germs to it"  or something similar. People may not realise the effect it has

I asked a lady filling multiple personal water bottles - coughing in between filling - if she understood English trying to be polite but disgusted with her behavior.  I was told in very loud American English to f myself.  There unfortunately are a few that feel entitled and the rules that keep society safe don't apply to them.  Similar to 2 large parties of college age kids last weekend where In live. Sad.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

I asked a lady filling multiple personal water bottles - coughing in between filling - if she understood English trying to be polite but disgusted with her behavior.  I was told in very loud American English to f myself.  There unfortunately are a few that feel entitled and the rules that keep society safe don't apply to them.  Similar to 2 large parties of college age kids last weekend where In live. Sad.

I guess because they've paid their cruise fare they are Entitled to do whatever they please.  I've encountered these types of people on just about every cruise ship I have been on. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Can I " assume " her native tongue was not English ????  

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

If and when cruising starts back up, there will be a new normal, things will not be like it was before the shutdown.

Yes and  we will move on. It has been a wonderful ride.

6 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes, I think all cruise ship buffets should change to no self service. It would help with all viral spread especially noro which is a constant problem.

Agree. We usually avoid the buffets. Too many people who feel no need to wash their hands, pick up food with their bare hands and the list goes on. They should also do away with all self service drink stations. 

Another thing is consider is all "staff-served" buffets aren't the same.  If you as a passenger didn't wash your hand and keep handing your big plate to different staff members, that's hardly any better preventing germs spreading than a self serve buffet.  A safer way which a lot of people will hate as it's somewhat cafeteria style is you get a tray and then staff hands you food on a small plate.

One suggestion I have: Make the entrance to the buffet only after washing hands at a washing station.  Celebrity ships now have these as optional in the buffet, but they should add more stations and make it mandatory.  Just an idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, OuiOnboard said:

Right! Unfortunately, stupid is as stupid.....

I don’t think it’s stupidity but rather an attitude of “I will do whatever I want” chair hoggers know they should do it.

• Haha 1

Hogging chairs is rude and annoying but ultimately harms no one. Filling your water bottle directly from the water dispenser at the drink station poses a potential risk to the health and safety of other passengers and really is stupid.

• Like 6

As far as the water bottles go... Most reusable water bottles have a spout that you remove prior to filling. Those I will fill up because using a cup to transfer is no more sanitary and it just takes extra time, clogging the station up. I haven't ever actually seen someone attempt to fill a "single use" water bottle at a drink dispenser. But I agree that if the portion you mouth touches is held up to the dispenser that that is unsanitary and inappropriate.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1