Jump to content

"Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Any Texans over age 50 can now sign up for the vaccine. Just out.

Still waiting for Florida to announce their next wave. I’m 59 and will be 60 in June.  We head back to Ohio end of April to sell our house there and Ohio will start vaccinating 60 year olds soon. If I get jabbed in Ohio in June, we’d be back in Florida before 4 weeks are up for the second shot. Don’t know if I can get the first shot

in Ohio and the second in Florida??  Maybe thru CVS since they’re in both places?  Unless Florida allows 50 and up in the next couple of weeks and we can get both shots in before end of April when we leave, we will probably need to wait until July. ☹️

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another nice day here (67F and sunny) so more exploring of Amelia Island. Today, we checked

out the Fort Clinch State Park at the north end of the island. We’d been there before to tour through the fort there so this time was the bird walk and beach. The beach is undeveloped and natural. 
A3C85E17-4E6A-44F9-94D8-795D33B45F92.thumb.jpeg.2f8e6913fc68fef4b43c51fe9333ed67.jpeg


Went to dinner after at a restaurant in the Amelia Island Marina called Kitchen 251. We decided

that we need to become friends with people who

own big boats. 

F57F8A25-B143-4D92-B8C9-7A5FDCBFD42C.thumb.jpeg.88c5c1e26c610cfa57f53805a74593d5.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I made the meat packer run today. The drive took me through the exotic hamlet of...

 

AB7FEC1C-D971-4A8B-95CB-CB730E672296.thumb.jpeg.0bf4256434ce266201545251751ce91f.jpeg
 

It’s a 4 way stop sign hamlet. 
 

Hope these guys don’t figure out their end destination. 😳

 

33BE28CA-96FD-4343-A68E-AC15AA75CA38.thumb.jpeg.42aed4fbf60c7cabd76dced9181b7e96.jpeg

 

 

6 boxes of steaks, 3 ribs and 3 strips. 6 in each box. Doesn’t that newly defrosted freezer look great. That was the afternoon job. 

 

FE106AD4-0723-4E7D-80AC-100F45E89E3C.thumb.jpeg.1b744eea33c1d3fc6542f6334d8ad2c4.jpeg
 

 

The 78 year old Aunt that runs the retail store sent me home with three packs of oversized hot dogs, more than enough pepperettes and a roast. All on the house. She also discounted the ribeyes $10 a box. Did I tell you I love her. Really, she reminds me of my long passed Oma. Eastern European and full of personality. 
 

She never leaves me empty handed. It is an all cash retail store. Lord knows how they balance the books of this family business but the retail store is a small portion of their facility. I appreciate their hospitality.
 

Food porn to come over the months ahead. Next visit I’m going to get some beef ribs. 😋


3F4ECFC6-4A03-4399-BFBA-8DEE03837D34.thumb.jpeg.47d7a3d1c9cc16dc691b620bbcb9d2a6.jpeg

That is very nice of her.  $10 for a box of rib eyes is a steal!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you get corn already? Frozen? We won't have decent fresh corn on the cob until late May at the earliest. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 5:10 PM, sgmn said:

I love 'strictly come dancing' and 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here' but hubby hates ALL reality shows. Causes friction sometimes..... 

Maybe get a second tv?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:


This photo is from a friends shop today in Chatsworth CA, basically LA.  Tomorrow we are supposedly between 15-20C with a chance of a thunderstorms.  How the tides have changed. 

 

1F4742C0-DE6F-4987-A584-70AF40C1CAD2.thumb.jpeg.5a81b3eaa786f1ea05d36c335f89e74c.jpeg

Same across the pond, we went 

from a lovely sunny spring day on Tuesday to cool, wet and very windy today 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Same across the pond, we went 

from a lovely sunny spring day on Tuesday to cool, wet and very windy today 🙄

The same up here in NE England.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Coralc said:

Where did you get corn already? Frozen? We won't have decent fresh corn on the cob until late May at the earliest. :classic_biggrin:

 

 

Every August when the bread and butter corn is available at the farm just outside of town, we go and buy 4-5 dozen.

 

Then we follow my mothers recipe to freeze.

 

We come home put the super large kettle on that  holds about 3 gallons of water and put one cup of salt in it.  We use the old fashioned Mortons with the little girl and the umbrella on the label.

My salt is probably older than the hills, my mom bought tons of it when she was alive and I still have a bunch of containers left.  I am sure you can use any salt.  I just use what is on hand.

 

While this is getting ready to boil we get a second pot of cold water and and  ice to make a large ice bath.

 

We remove the husk off the corn and drop about 6 in the boiling water and set the timer for 3 min.

When the timer goes off we use tongs and drop the corn in the ice  water for about 5 min.

 

While the corn is chillin we pull 6inches of saran wrap and lay on counter.  (We wrap in GLAD press and seal wrap).  

Then we place 4 in a ziplock freezer bag.

Then we just lay them flat in the big chest freezer.

 

When your ready to use, I pull them out of the freezer and place them in my asparagus pot (the one with the metal basket) add cool water (no salt) and set on medium flame (we use gas burner on stove) and set timer for 15 min.

 

This is the longest we have waited to use the corn, and it was still good.

 

I cannot believe how it stays fresh and tasty.  We have done this for about 15 years.  In my first life we used to take the kernels off the corn cob after boiling and then freezing after bagging, but this is so much easier and tastier.

 

It is amazing how the kernels do not pucker or shrivel up, they look like fresh corn on the cob.

 

Easy and worth enjoying when fresh corn not available.

 

🙂

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

 

 

 

 

Then we follow my mothers recipe to freeze.

 

 

 

 

 

Just took a screenshot of your instructions to try this year.   We have wonderful local corn here, late summer is best. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Momof3gurlz
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I wonder what they would do with the box that the chair came in?  🤣

 

They made a whole mess of my working station... this chair is way much older than my grandkids... 

 

But this is what he used with a "workbench" toy box their dotting grandpa (aka DH) bought  ...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few pictures from our early morning to the beach.  

A couple along the intercostal waterway. 
 

6858F3C9-DEDB-4BA5-91E5-C4E45138BC1C.thumb.jpeg.96f4820c96c83d43d54d2f96584298b1.jpeg

 

Hardly anyone at the beach before 9 am.  
 

BA6B97C4-F188-4BF8-9D3C-1959AA8A5166.thumb.jpeg.466f87bf1e0971cf862bc47e101d1603.jpeg

 

1C9564DB-77FB-46E4-805D-255845CEABFD.thumb.jpeg.62dc2b7ed2b47b18db70eb491b17ba98.jpeg

 

Very windy, but a good day if you like to kite surf. 
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you that have made to move to Florida- how did you decide on location?  It seems like a daunting task- Gulf side vs Atlantic side?  My husband and I are about 7 years out and when we visit Disney each year, we pick a city or 2 in Florida to check out for possible places to move to.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sara mom said:

For those of you that have made to move to Florida- how did you decide on location?  It seems like a daunting task- Gulf side vs Atlantic side?  My husband and I are about 7 years out and when we visit Disney each year, we pick a city or 2 in Florida to check out for possible places to move to.  

We’ve done this exact same thing. Although the original plan was to move to FL once we retired, or at least become snowbirds, having grandchildren changed all that.  Ours are all in the Northeast & we just don’t want to be in their lives only “sometimes”.  New plan, which was supposed to start last month (but - COVID) is to rent a place for 6-8 weeks sometime from Jan to March each year to escape the worst of winter.  So far we think we like the west coast, anywhere from Sarasota to Naples.  But renting would allow flexibility to change locations.  So maybe try renting before you buy?  

Edited by Momof3gurlz
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lionesss said:

 

 

Every August when the bread and butter corn is available at the farm just outside of town, we go and buy 4-5 dozen.

 

Then we follow my mothers recipe to freeze.

 

We come home put the super large kettle on that  holds about 3 gallons of water and put one cup of salt in it.  We use the old fashioned Mortons with the little girl and the umbrella on the label.

My salt is probably older than the hills, my mom bought tons of it when she was alive and I still have a bunch of containers left.  I am sure you can use any salt.  I just use what is on hand.

 

While this is getting ready to boil we get a second pot of cold water and and  ice to make a large ice bath.

 

We remove the husk off the corn and drop about 6 in the boiling water and set the timer for 3 min.

When the timer goes off we use tongs and drop the corn in the ice  water for about 5 min.

 

While the corn is chillin we pull 6inches of saran wrap and lay on counter.  (We wrap in GLAD press and seal wrap).  

Then we place 4 in a ziplock freezer bag.

Then we just lay them flat in the big chest freezer.

 

When your ready to use, I pull them out of the freezer and place them in my asparagus pot (the one with the metal basket) add cool water (no salt) and set on medium flame (we use gas burner on stove) and set timer for 15 min.

 

This is the longest we have waited to use the corn, and it was still good.

 

I cannot believe how it stays fresh and tasty.  We have done this for about 15 years.  In my first life we used to take the kernels off the corn cob after boiling and then freezing after bagging, but this is so much easier and tastier.

 

It is amazing how the kernels do not pucker or shrivel up, they look like fresh corn on the cob.

 

Easy and worth enjoying when fresh corn not available.

 

🙂

 

 

 

 

 

We've done the same and it turns out great.  We have also taken it off the cob and frozen it and its still a lot better than the supermarket stuff

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I swear everytime I see NE England I first read it as NEW England.😄

 

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Same here!

 

Me three!  That's because we've got New England in our blood.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sara mom said:

For those of you that have made to move to Florida- how did you decide on location?  It seems like a daunting task- Gulf side vs Atlantic side?  My husband and I are about 7 years out and when we visit Disney each year, we pick a city or 2 in Florida to check out for possible places to move to.  

 

Do you like sunrise or sunsets over the ocean? I'm never awake at sunrise so I would probably choice Gulf side.🙂

 

Although, I would need to know how big the waves are on the Gulf side. While my body surfing days are long behind me, I enjoy the sound of ocean waves roaring and crashing onto the shore.  Hmmmm, sunsets are overrated. I'll just hang  a picture on the wall should I ever make the move. LOL

 

Great question. Curious to see what the answers are.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

 

Maureen 💐, welcome,

 

Any news on the Cozumel 🐸  "front"? 

 

 

 

Umm, I have to be careful with what I say, but, it looks like I'm not going to Cozumel .  It'd take a miracle at this point.   Thanks for asking, though.  I was really excited about it, wanted to bring home that peanut butter tequila, yummy!   Just the final kick in the face from 2020, I guess.  I've still got air credits and a $1200 Carnival credit that has to be used by January 2022.  I'm sailing MSC Divina September 19 for my birthday and doing a B2B on Harmony in November, so not sure when I'll do Carnival.  The good thing is these trips are already paid for, because of FCC, etc.  I was approved last month for Social Security Disability, so, figuring out how much money I'll have to travel from now on.  Then, yesterday, my glaucoma Doc said I  have more damage to my optic nerve.  We're trying to avoid surgery, so, I'm now using eyedrops for it.  The hits just keep coming, lol.  I've always been an introvert, despite what you read in my reviews (or see in my Hop pictures 😈 ), but, I've been at home since last February and it's starting to get to me.  The good news is I'm fully vaccinated, so, I'm meeting a friend tonight for dinner.  I'll try and get some food porn for y'all.  That always cheers me up, lol.  I hope things are going well for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...