Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, fredflint said:

I picked up one of these last year it is great on leaves would probably work for pine needles  but both Amazon and  Home depot carry it so not much risk.  I did pick up the trash can adapter and it is a bit messy but does let you pick up more!

Found this Amazon review

Reviewed in the United States on March 31, 2018

I am a 63 year old woman with several trees that drop thousands of pine needles in my driveway and I live in Seattle where it's wet most of the time. Three strikes against me for a leaf blower! So I was hesitant about buying this. However, I purchased the Toro UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum because it was electric, affordable and fairly light to carry. To my delight, this leaf blower works great! It blows over the pine needles on my concrete driveway into nice piles. Of course, it won't blow wet needles or needles caked in mud but it does a very good job with the dry needles, pinecones and leaves. The vacuum works great too! It sucks up the piles of needles into this nice bag that hooks up to the blower and has a belt to hang over my shoulder. It's really easy to empty the bag because it has a zipper on the bottom. The blower and vacuum have attachments that are pretty easy to figure out and put on/take off. There's two handles to hold the blower so it's easy to maneuver. All in all, I'm very happy with this new "toy" and my only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/Toro-51621-UltraPlus-Variable-Speed-Impeller/dp/B00TNCJU3E/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Toro+51621&qid=1601826998&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1

https://myleafblower.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/toro-51621-best-garden-vac-for-wet-leaves-2018-review.jpg

toro-51621-best-garden-vac-for-wet-leaves-2018-review[1].jpg

I have had this exact same thing for about 15 yrs now except mine is called a garden eater.  Loved it so much I had got my Dad and my Brother each one for christmas several years ago.  All still working, great!

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

One week update at once. Office job has made me want to stab my eyes out with a spoon. Enough said. 

Around the farms gives me solace and a needed break. Phase one of the bush work is done. 

E0EA9291-9D5C-4FE6-8FFF-1EAA1D424FEF.thumb.jpeg.eca2e3e08fd8fa4ebb754838141b920f.jpeg

Cedars trimmed back. Phase two will start when harvest is done. 

7D787630-AA68-43A0-A783-1DA5CA8E0962.thumb.jpeg.e277072a9905d1f3276f1e78c2996d4a.jpeg

Took Friday afternoon to clean out the barn at moms and reorganize it. Always feels good to see what you have accomplished and the office never gives you that. 

1C629F92-5EF3-49A9-9BB8-7606481AC7BE.thumb.jpeg.d460019e54b0715dbc9407c20cb9faac.jpeg

0C1ED43D-661F-4267-B342-4230AB8365F7.thumb.jpeg.f4fcf5d5f980681e66abb9cb6cfcafe3.jpeg

Could not help but notice there is no cross bridging on the floor

see this 

http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/floor-joist-bridging.html

The house does not look new but it could help it you have any squeaks or bouncing.  Not sure where you live but most any building inspector would call it out.

https://www.yourownarchitect.com/is-blocking-required-for-floor-joists/#:~:text=Building code requires the use,supporting end of a joist.

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

9 minutes ago, fredflint said:

see this 

http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/floor-joist-bridging.html

The house does not look new but it could help it you have any squeaks or bouncing.  Not sure where you live but most any building inspector would call it out.

https://www.yourownarchitect.com/is-blocking-required-for-floor-joists/#:~:text=Building code requires the use,supporting end of a joist.

That is a picture of a barn, not a house.  Those joists are not 2X4's, they are way beefier than that, at least 10, if not 12 inches, though in Canada, they are liable to be metric.  Looks pretty sturdy to me, would love to have whoever did that stonework come and fix my wall!

34 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

though in Canada, they are liable to be metric. 

Nope, pretty much all building products are still in Imperial.

Found an old guide put out by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp from the early 70’s stating that by the early 80’s The entire building industry in Canada would be converted to metric....almost 50 years later still hasn’t happened.  I actually need to teach many of my younger students how to read a Fractional tape measure and work in 1/16th, 1/8th.....they just learn metric in school which doesn’t do them any good on a job site. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fredflint said:

toro-51621-best-garden-vac-for-wet-leaves-2018-review[1].jpg

I'll have to look into this. We also have a honey locust tree with tiny leaves. Always the last tree to drop leaves.

We also just found out that the neighbors are going to have twins so they are going to move. John's going to chop off the branches that hang over on our side of the fence. That will take care of some of the needles.

The highlight of the day was cleaning the fish pond for the up coming winter, the task was E-Z , because the local raccoons had come by and ate all the fish, just need to trim a few plants and add some fresh water. 

• Haha 2

On 10/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, A&L_Ont said:

That’s great news. On a side note, I know where I am staying when I come down for the Amelia Island Concourse. 🙂

That's a big part of our plan...friends and family coming to visit and enjoy the island.  2 guest bedrooms each with their own bathroom.  We haven't been there yet for the Concourse but we're about a 10 minute walk from the Ritz where it's located.  Looking forward to it in March.  It took me a minute to figure out what you meant when you said there was a funk in the air at your neighbors farm.  Interesting.  Explains the security trailer.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:29 PM, singinalot said:

congrats @bobmacliberty that’s wonderful news! let the adventures begin

Thanks.  Google Maps says 2 hours and 53 minutes to Port Canaveral.  That's not @John&LaLa close, but much better than Cincinnati.  

On 10/4/2020 at 7:32 AM, dani negreanu said:

Congrats, sounds great.

I had to google Amelia Island, looks like a nice place with lots of golf courses 😁

Thanks.  We looked at several places to retire and Amelia checks all of our boxes.  Golf and tennis, good beaches, great restaurants and bars, warm weather most of the year, an island feel while also having good access to airports/hospitals/shopping/etc. within a relatively short drive.  I probably would have gone a little further south for even more year round warmth, but DW wanted more of a change of seasons.  I can suffer through golf with a sweater during the winter months.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It is my understanding that @John&LaLa 's new house is much farther than CB, if I remember correctly -- 3.5 hours (which for me is much better than the 14 hours flight Tel-Aviv-Miami 😁😁)

Yup, they moved to a community near Ocala.  Middle of the state, but is seasonal for them.  

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We haven't been there yet for the Concourse but we're about a 10 minute walk from the Ritz where it's located.  Looking forward to it in March.  It took me a minute to figure out what you meant when you said there was a funk in the air at your neighbors farm.  Interesting.  Explains the security trailer.

I have been invited to display by a member of the selection committee, but have yet to make it. I have heard that it is one of the most fun concours on the circuit.  I know a few that have shown and sold at the auction there and have enjoyed it thoroughly.  There is an expression something like... you go to Pebble Beach because it is Pebble, you go to Amelia for the fun.  

As for the “funk”, I’m amazed you are the only one who noted the comment.  It was wafting through the air today. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

So my day, we had booked a boat for four nights on the Thames. We did our helmsman course, mugged up on going thru locks, learned how to do knots. Worked out best riverside pubs to stop at each day and then with car all packed up, just about to leave we get a phone call from holiday company to say the Thames is at code red due to all the rain on last few days and environmental agency has barred all boats from using the Thames 🤔 holiday is canceled 

2020 wins again... 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 8:51 PM, fredflint said:

If it is a barn then it is all the better to have the crossbracing done to spread any load like a vehicle, have to admin have not seen that many barns that had a basement.

LOL, no basement but we have a fire zone room (vault) in the barn for paperwork storage. 

Since you seemed interested in the construction I though I’d share the story of the barn. It is a century barn, well over a 100 years old and orginal to the farm. The people who homestead here built it, and it last housed dairy cattle well over 50 years ago when they used to milk cattle by hand and the milk to the local creamery in canteens. 

Mom and dad purchased the farm in the early 70s. Dad was an architect and wanted to keep the history of the building, while giving it strength to last another hundred years. In the late 1980s Mennonites we know re-floored the hayloft and replaced the trusses.  The aged and original hand hewn beams, cross beam logs and milled floor planks were removed.  Aircraft cable kept the building secure and square. The original floor to ceiling posts were replaced with three 6.5” steel posts, set 4’ deep in cement.

At that time the entire floor was removed and replaced with new cement. The old electric service was replaced with breakers and conduit at the same time.  The aged hand hewn support beams were replaced with 10” and 20” steel I-beams.  They support the new 2X10 oak cross beams, and the 2X10 cross braces which were not easily visible in the first photos. The outer portions of the cross beams rest on the field stone walls which are 2’ thick.  In the hay loft we used to back loaded hay wagons, trucks and tractors in from the barn ramp, which is supported by 2x10s cross beams on 10” centres.  The rest of the barn trusses are on 20” centres.

I snapped some photos today of the hayloft where we left the original lumber, tree trusses, and roof planks. We added more wall support to the original to strengthen the building.  I wish we had photos of what the original lower barn looked like, but there were cattle tie outs, a few pig pens and wood feeding troughs. 

You can see the cut trees that were used as roof truss supports and the hand hewn beams. 

998C1E99-6FA5-4845-8DB7-2C21A1859673.thumb.jpeg.e7f02b09af755de68908bc4bfcebc354.jpeg

The wood beam track for the hay trolley is found at the top of the ceiling and runs the length of the barn.  We still have the trolley and the rope. The arrow points to the trolley. 

DA59AEA6-B227-4D0C-AA89-DE1E952D304B.thumb.jpeg.0e6e74cbc31f467352c52d54b985219c.jpeg

They used horses and pulleys to move and raise the hay/straw long before bale elevators. 

FE706E09-9309-45B5-B6B7-A93BE78BA8A1.jpeg.e99955e2f64aac9abf31003928e59422.jpeg

20 years ago we replaced the roof with new steel, replaced the lightning cable, and re-planked the outside walls and added drip edge to protect the stone walls.  Every few years we repoint the stone walls, when we do the house and garage. The freeze thaw cycle is rough with the Canadian Winters. 

This is the ramp the horses used to walk down decades ago to load the hay. It isn’t the same as first build but will last my lifetime and then some. 

BDB6904A-2124-433E-9178-37B8A144AA0D.thumb.jpeg.c128069f78b9a155e7b31f890d91d37b.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 9

Beautiful colors, singinalot!  With the exception of one tree in our yard, all of the other trees are still all green;  and we have a lot of trees not only in our back and side yard, but also in the woods behind our property.  We're heading to Ct. in two weeks, I expect to see a lot of Fall foliage there!🍁🍁

We're heading to a farm today after school, with 2 of our grandsons for a hay ride, corn cob shooting, etc.  DH and I have never been there, but our grandchildren have been going there for several years now.  It is absolutely beautiful here today, sunny and going up to 68 degrees this afternoon.

• Like 4