Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

23 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Here is a photo of a absentee ballot from Florida. The return envelope has a bar code and name that is scanned upon receipt. 

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

How you voted is anonymous, the fact you voted (or not) via any method is available online to you and voting officials

Same in Georgia

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Sadly, it is all done by hand... and we had 33 parties in the last election. 

The vast majority of elections I wish there were more choices, but 33 parties has me questioning that feeling. 

From what you said, I take it you don't vote for individuals in each position, you are voting for a Party in totality?

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

We cannot vote by mail in Israel -- we have another "method" for those who legally have not the possibility to vote in their designated location -- like policemen, soldiers in active duty, sailors, diplomats. They vote in "double" envelopes, which are opened and counted AFTER election day. The regular are blue, and the "double" are white.

Every "double" envelope is checked against the list who have already voted, and only then their vote is counted. You'll see a big hangar with hundreds of tables -- people opening envelopes under strict scrutiny.

Sadly, it is all done by hand... and we had 33 parties in the last election. You give the election committee your ID, they cross you off the list, give you the blue envelope. If you're "absentee" -- they put your blue envelope in a white one.

You choose one slip of paper with the "letters" assigned to the parties, put it in an envelope and then drop it in the box in front of the election committee. Only then you get your ID card back.

Here's how it is in "real life"....

kalpi_israel_18.jpg

So is this out in the open where anyone watching can see what slip you grab?....that really wouldn’t foster a “secrecy of the vote”

Also, wouldn’t seeing that some slots have less papers in them give people an early indication of who was voting for who and thus potentially other voters decisions?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

How you voted is anonymous, the fact you voted (or not) via any method is available online to you and voting officials

Thanks, my [bad] English -- what I've meant should be -- does you name appear in a list of "already voted by mail"?

So I assume that, should XYZ decide to vote twice, the moment his ID card is scanned at the voting local, it should appear that XYZ had already voted....

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

So I assume that, should XYZ decide to vote twice, the moment his ID card is scanned at the voting local, it should appear that XYZ had already voted....

That totally depends on the location you vote, but it is quite likely the local polling officials won't check that you already voted at another location or via another method.

Edited by Biker19

13 minutes ago, Domino D said:

From what you said, I take it you don't vote for individuals in each position, you are voting for a Party in totality?

YES, for a party.

But you need a certain number of votes to enter the, let's say, Israeli Senate. Like electors in US.

In the last election, a party was missing 1400 votes to make it, and all those who voted for this party ""wasted" their ballot....

The equation is roughly -- # of eligible votes : 120 places in "Senate". Let's say it gives you 25,000 votes in order to enter one member.

The threshold will be: 100,001 votes (a minimum of 4 members of enter the "Senate"). 

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So is this out in the open where anyone watching can see what slip you grab?....that really wouldn’t foster a “secrecy of the vote”.

The pic is only of the paper slips. There are walls around this, and nobody, really nobody (spouse, etc.) is allowed inside the "walls". If someone is unable to pick the slip, he's allowed to have someone with him, but the someone has to provide a very valid proof for it.

Also, wouldn’t seeing that some slots have less papers in them give people an early indication of who was voting for who and thus potentially other voters decisions?

Excellent question, as the politicians say....😁 

It has been addressed -- there're "observants" on every cluster of voting locations (usually classes in schools), from different parties, who "travel" between those classes and, between voters, are checking out that the "right level" of papers is there, also that slips aren't damaged or "misteriously" disappeared.

I volunteer every election to stay in the voting committee for my party, and I'm also doing "the rounds" every few voters, to check that all slips are in "good health"....

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, being involved with our electoral  system in Canada I find it interesting the differences between countries and in the case of our southern neighbours the differences between states. 

With 38 parties to choose from I can see why they have chosen this method.  I would hate to see how large a single ballot would be that listed all the parties. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

With 33 parties to choose from I can see why they have chosen this method.  I would hate to see how large a single ballot would be that listed all the parties. 

I usually choose to volunteer for the 2nd part of the day ("grave yard"), which involves closing the voting at 8PM-10PM, cross-referencing the # of envelopes provided v. the # of crossed-off names. Sometimes we have to repeat this 2-3 times.

When the #s tally, we open all the envelopes, take out the slips, show them to the members of the committee, and "impale" them on a provided table with spikes....

Fill the protocol. Then, at around 3-4 AM, one of the committee members, along with the secretary (which is a-political/paid by the state), travel with all the slips to a central location, to register the votes...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks, being involved with our electoral  system in Canada I find it interesting the differences between countries and in the case of our southern neighbours the differences between states. 

With 38 parties to choose from I can see why they have chosen this method.  I would hate to see how large a single ballot would be that listed all the parties. 

Having been a part of political campaign back in 1993 I was an overseer in the ballot counting in a riding where only three parties were involved. I can only imagine what it would be like with 38 parties with one individual from each campaign. 🤯

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I usually choose to volunteer for the 2nd part of the day ("grave yard"), which involves closing the voting at 8PM-10PM, cross-referencing the # of envelopes provided v. the # of crossed-off names. Sometimes we have to repeat this 2-3 times.

When the #s tally, we open all the envelopes, take out the slips, show them to the members of the committee, and "impale" them on a provided table with spikes....

Fill the protocol. Then, at around 3-4 AM, one of the committee members, along with the secretary (which is a-political/paid by the state), travel with all the slips to a central location, to register the votes...

Canada controls the ballots (usually only 4-10 parties or independents running)and not the envelopes but at the end of the night we need to balance the number of ballots in the box with the number of names struck from the voters list.  Other than Scrutineers  from the parties who can observe everyone working is a paid official. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Having been a part of political campaign back in 1993 I was an overseer in the ballot counting in a riding where only three parties were involved. I can only imagine what it would be like with 38 parties with one individual from each campaign. 🤯

Things have really changed from 93.  There are very few scrutineers at the individual polls anymore.  The parties just don’t have the resources that they once did.  The scrutineers tend to show up at some of the larger polling locations as well as the office where Advance polls are counted. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Other than Scrutineers  from the parties who can observe everyone working is a paid official. 

The committee secretary is paid by the state.

Scrutineers/other members of the committee are paid by the parties. 

My very small party is lacking the funds -- so it relies on volunteers like me....

The allocation to committees is per party size -- so the big parties have more places to fill.

Our allocation is so that we can fill the "positions" with volunteers only.

I think only 8-10 parties out of 33 have "allocations", since most do not pass the minimum votes.

As of the last election, only 10 parties had "made it to the Senate"....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yes you can. My Mom, who lives in Titusville, voted by absentee. I check the status twice a day for her. It’s been received but not yet counted. They have had it over a week now. I wonder when they will count them?  If you’re Brevard, I can provide the link. 

M8

Thanks!  But I did check on them already.   Same as John, showing received but not counted.  Perhaps waiting until actual election day?  At least good to know they got them.  🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Domino D said:

@John&LaLa I guess I stand corrected.  She says there were mason jars.  

We have a large magnet collection from that trip too.  Each Greek Island, Multiple Athens, Several Rome, Naples, Amalfi, Cinque Terra (5), and Pisa.  Oddly enough, as much as we have been to the Caribbean I don't think we have a single magnet.

Not enough room on my fridge any longer...had to expand to doors on the porch!  😮  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  But I did check on them already.   Same as John, showing received but not counted.  Perhaps waiting until actual election day?  At least good to know they got them.  🙂 

Florida, I believe what I read said they can begin counting absentee ballots as early as 22 days prior and they can count Election Day and sometimes after.  The election boards have a number of days to certify the results. 

There was a time when absentee ballots where only counted if it could make a difference in the results. But now, I believe there are so many, it will make a difference and therefore counted. 

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

That totally depends on the location you vote, but it is quite likely the local polling officials won't check that you already voted at another location or via another method.

That's a provisional ballot down here, I think.

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Florida, I believe what I read said they can begin counting absentee ballots as early as 22 days prior and they can count Election Day and sometimes after.  The election boards have a number of days to certify the results. 

There was a time when absentee ballots where only counted if it could make a difference in the results. But now, I believe there are so many, it will make a difference and therefore counted. 

I think I would be pissed if they didn't count all the absentee votes!  Yikes!  Every vote should count.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, island lady said:

I think I would be pissed if they didn't count all the absentee votes!  Yikes!  Every vote should count.  🙂 

It does count but say candidate A had 20,000 votes and candidate B had 10,000 votes and there were 5,000 absentee votes cast then it would not affect the outcome of the results even if 100% of the absentee ballots were cast for candidate B which in itself is highly unlikely.

I agree that at sometime post election they should be counted and added to the overall results to get an accurate picture of the total number of electors and the final vote tallies but they are not needed for election night to declare a winner.

more math....

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Haha 1

@dani negreanu - Interesting about the voting process in Israel.  Do all of these various parties form coalitions for various topics?  Is the Prime Minister similar to the UK where it's the leader of the party with the most seats?

I've wondered recently if the US would benefit from more political parties, or if that would just make things worse.  There is very little compromise today.  Having more parties MIGHT allow for more compromise on specific topics where it's not as important for members of the House or Senate to vote along party lines.