Oceania Refunds - Has anyone actually received any cash yet?

Pster55

So we're about two months into this pandemic, more or less. I'm curious, has ANYONE recieved a cash refund from Oceania yet? Despite all the rhetoric,  Traveler's Assurance Program, etc. has anyone actually recieved their cruise fare, or any other deposit for that matter, owed by Oceania? 

Edited by Pster55
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

So we're about two months into this pandemic, more or less. I'm curious, has ANYONE recieved a cash refund from Oceania yet? Despite all the rhetoric,  Traveler's Assurance Program, etc. has anyone actually recieved their cruise fare, or any other deposit for that matter, owed by Oceania? 

Have you read any of the existing threads already discussing this? For example, many of us who were among the first to be affected by modified/cancelled Oceania cruises in February through May (the latter for ATW segments in the Asia region) on Nautica and Insignia have already received promised refunds (ranging from 50% (modified/completed cruises) to 100% (cancelled cruises) of cruise fare paid plus 100% refund for excursions, visas, etc) AND reasonable FCCs of 25% or more for the inconvenience . 

With almost Oceania 30,000 passengers affected so far, it's safe to say that Oceania is doing a very good job at taking care of its customers.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Have you read any of the existing threads already discussing this? For example, many of us who were among the first to be affected by modified/cancelled Oceania cruises in February through May (the latter for ATW segments in the Asia region) on Nautica and Insignia have already received promised refunds (ranging from 50% (modified/completed cruises) to 100% (cancelled cruises) of cruise fare paid plus 100% refund for excursions, visas, etc) AND reasonable FCCs of 25% or more for the inconvenience . 

With almost Oceania 30,000 passengers affected so far, it's safe to say that Oceania is doing a very good job at taking care of its customers.

Nope, I don't read the roll calls for cruises other than my own, nor will I, and I haven't read of any cash refunds actually received over the past month. Your reply to my post REAKS of Travel Advisor marketing.....calling you out.....you are a TA or Oceania employee. Seems there are those on this web site that don't get the "critic" part of "cruisecritic.com". 

Edited by Pster55

12 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

Nope, I don't read the roll calls for cruises other than my own, nor will I, and I haven't read of any cash refunds actually received over the past month. Your reply to my post REAKS of Travel Advisor marketing.....calling you out.....you are a TA or Oceania employee. Seems there are those on this web site that don't get the "critic" part of "cruisecritic.com". 

No need to follow other "roll calls." There's currently a very active thread on O refunds in general. I and numerous others have discussed in that thread the nature of our affected cruises and the refunds received in March.

BTW: Call out all you want since you've got a wrong number on my background. We're just regular cruisers whose preferred line is Oceania.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have not heard of Oceania giving "Cash" refunds 

Usually they credit it back to your credit card  or probably would mail you  a cheque  if you paid by  cash

Yes we are all employed by Oceania here or travel agents  🙄

Enjoy your day & wash your hands

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Two things to OP

1) Do you actually and specifically mean CASH refunds or refunds to CC count as well?

As LHT28 pointed out, most refunds are paid back to the CC used to pay for the cruise.

2) No need to dig into roll calls. Here is a thread that is now 8 pages long that discusses

the topic that you are interested in (right on the Oceania Forum):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735392-refunds-from-oceania/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In response to OP:

I cancelled a cruise approx 3 weeks ago and have yet to receive the deposit back on my CC from Oceania.   Also waiting for reimbursement for a cruise cancelled by another company that happened 2 weeks ago .  Hotel reservations, tours, etc have also been cancelled and credits have not been showing showing up yet either.  The entire system is overloaded unfortunately and these transactions will time and patience on our part. 

If it's any comfort, you are not alone.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I have not heard of Oceania giving "Cash" refunds 

Usually they credit it back to your credit card  or probably would mail you  a cheque  if you paid by  cash

Yes we are all employed by Oceania here or travel agents  🙄

Enjoy your day & wash your hands

Yes, of course, by cash refunds I mean credits back to your credit card or other means of original payment. I used the term cash to differentiate from Future Cruise Credits.

43 minutes ago, Condocat said:

In response to OP:

I cancelled a cruise approx 3 weeks ago and have yet to receive the deposit back on my CC from Oceania.   Also waiting for reimbursement for a cruise cancelled by another company that happened 2 weeks ago .  Hotel reservations, tours, etc have also been cancelled and credits have not been showing showing up yet either.  The entire system is overloaded unfortunately and these transactions will time and patience on our part. 

Personally, I don't buy it. Refunds to a credit card can be done literally in minutes. I find it the height of hypocrisy that Oceania can say refunds take 90 days when you can still go onto their web site and sign up - and pay - for future cruises in seconds. Travel Insurance providers are now saying the same thing - it will take us 4-6 weeks to process claims. This is obviously deliberate as they want you to wait for refunds from the cruise lines first....they are deliberatly sitting on claims...they told me they would NOT pay me now accept subrogation from Oceania......they are all gaming the situation.

Edited by Pster55
  • Like 1

In answer to the OP's question:

I waited until Oceania canceled my cruise which they just did, and requested a refund.  Prior to this about 3 weeks ago I advised my TA to cancel items that I had prepaid Oceania for.  Post cruise hotel, excursions, and a culinary class.  

I received the refund on my cc in two days.  I'll let you know here when I get my refund for the rest of the cruise costs.

On a side note, about three weeks ago I canceled my AA flights.  I also received a refund to my cc.  That took about 5 days.

I'm the first person to admit that I'd prefer to get immediate refunds for all sorts of purchases -not just a cancelled cruise.

However, when it comes to our current Covid-19 situation, there is a very new "normal." 

At the very least, the call and processing centers of most businesses have been downsized and disaggregated resulting in understandable delays. At the other end of the spectrum, even buying a roll of toilet paper can turn into a quest.

As aforementioned, approx. 30,000 Oceania customers - all with a variety of circumstances including necessary review of each booking's conditions (e.g., penalty dates, book onboard SBC adjustments, optional purchases, TA commissions, et al.) and the processing of customer decisions regarding cash and/or FCCs (with their own varying conditions) takes significantly longer than the oversimplified "few minutes" suggested by the OP.

As for the insurers (for which I have no great love), any thought of "gaming the system" is a two way street. Don't you think that there are a significant number of folks who will try to "double dip?"

As per my earlier post, we had no problem getting back more than $35,000 for two affected Oceania cruises. Admittedly, we're still going back and forth with O about what constitutes a DIY airline "change" fee for a cancelled cruise and that, in turn, will affect the completion of any claim I make with our insurer. We're also waiting to see a wire transfer from one airline and a CC credit from another.

Gotta go now and try for the umpteenth time to get HP to answer my call about a printer problem.

When we have had an insurance claim they wanted the paperwork from the cruise line to see what we had paid and what they paid us (if anything)

So people claiming for things they got reimbursed for  were  not gaming the system

double dipping or fraud  how ever you want to spell it 🙄

JMO

I requested a refund in mid-March (for a late March sailing), the morning after complete cancellations were announced and full refunds were offered. I have not received any refund either. I have called Oceania back and just gotten a weak "we're working on it."

I'm highly concerned NCL will bankrupt before we get refunded. And I think it's gross to jump down the throats of posters asking these questions and raising these concerns just because you were one of the lucky ones who got a refund already.

• Like 3

Many of us agree that there is a real concern of bankruptcy. Then all refunds, FCC will all be worthless. So the sooner you get it,  the better. But hey there are still foolish people that are making final payments. Just think about that one. 

Edited by jonthomas
spacing

11 minutes ago, Gee & Gee said:

And I think it's gross to jump down the throats of posters asking these questions and raising these concerns just because you were one of the lucky ones who got a refund already.

I think the point was more that there already is a long thread discussing this issue - no need to have a new one.

Just now, Paulchili said:

I think the point was more that there already is a long thread discussing this issue - no need to have a new one.

In the longest, snidest and most condescending manner possible, so no thanks, I stand by my post.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I'm the first person to admit that I'd prefer to get immediate refunds for all sorts of purchases -not just a cancelled cruise.

However, when it comes to our current Covid-19 situation, there is a very new "normal." 

At the very least, the call and processing centers of most businesses have been downsized and disaggregated resulting in understandable delays. At the other end of the spectrum, even buying a roll of toilet paper can turn into a quest.

As aforementioned, approx. 30,000 Oceania customers - all with a variety of circumstances including necessary review of each booking's conditions (e.g., penalty dates, book onboard SBC adjustments, optional purchases, TA commissions, et al.) and the processing of customer decisions regarding cash and/or FCCs (with their own varying conditions) takes significantly longer than the oversimplified "few minutes" suggested by the OP.

As for the insurers (for which I have no great love), any thought of "gaming the system" is a two way street. Don't you think that there are a significant number of folks who will try to "double dip?"

As per my earlier post, we had no problem getting back more than $35,000 for two affected Oceania cruises. Admittedly, we're still going back and forth with O about what constitutes a DIY airline "change" fee for a cancelled cruise and that, in turn, will affect the completion of any claim I make with our insurer. We're also waiting to see a wire transfer from one airline and a CC credit from another.

Gotta go now and try for the umpteenth time to get HP to answer my call about a printer problem.

We filed a claim with our Travel Insurer (I will withhold their name for the time being) for a HEALTH RELATED issue with an elderly family member that has resulted in our not being able to cruise. This health event occurred a weak prior to Oceania cancelling our May 9th cruise this past Monday. ALL paperwork, including doctor's letter, etc. were received by  the insurer TWO DAYS after Oceania cancelled the cruise. The insurer is telling me (1) it's an either/or decision, claim with us or file for refund with Oceania, (2) we will not accept or reject your claim for 4-6 weeks, and (3) we will NOT accept subrogaton. If you file for a cash refund with Oceania the insurer will wait to process your claim to see if Oceania will pay, rather than paying now and accepting subrogation of the Oceania refund. This is frankly outrageous and CLEARLY gaming the system. I will tell you this, if the travel insurers refuse subrogation they are going to bring it onto themselves.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

When we have had an insurance claim they wanted the paperwork from the cruise line to see what we had paid and what they paid us (if anything)

So people claiming for things they got reimbursed for  were  not gaming the system

double dipping or fraud  how ever you want to spell it 🙄

JMO

My Travel Insurer is actually REFUSING SUBROGATION........by so doing, they are INVITING fraud preferring to avoid payment of legitimate claims by waiting until the cruise line pays refunds...90 days or more out.......

8 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

My Travel Insurer is actually REFUSING SUBROGATION........by so doing, they are INVITING fraud preferring to avoid payment of legitimate claims by waiting until the cruise line pays refunds...90 days or more out.......

so I am confused

You want your insurer to pay your claim now   then  you will also get a refund from Oceania because they cancelled the cruise ??

Or did you cancel your cruise  & lose  all money paid to Oceania?

1 hour ago, Gee & Gee said:

I requested a refund in mid-March (for a late March sailing), the morning after complete cancellations were announced and full refunds were offered. I have not received any refund either. I have called Oceania back and just gotten a weak "we're working on it."

I  am sure there is  a long list of people  trying to get refunds for previously cancelled cruises 

I know people are concerned about getting their money back  but  the staff can only do so much  in a day

Many are working from home so checking  with payments & different cancellation rules for the differ offers takes time

Then we have the CC companies  they also have to process the refunds

My opinion is take a deep breath  & let them do their jobs

4 hours ago, Condocat said:

In response to OP:

Oceania  has said it can take up to 90  days to refund to your credit card and then two departments are sending out the credits so you may get it in two parts

Jancruz1