Oceania Refunds - Has anyone actually received any cash yet?

Pster55

21 hours ago, ORV said:

I would be skeptical on that 30,000 number. I don't think Oceania would have that many people booked on cruises that are being cancelled. I'd like to see the math on that. Now if we were talking all 3 of the cruise lines that might be different. 

One thing I will agree with is that I think we have a few too many apologists here. I truly do believe that Oceania is intentionally delaying refunds. Although I've been a customer for years I find this practice hard to defend. 

well 2 ship with approx 625 rooms, 3 ships with approx 325 rooms that would equal 2225 rooms....average length of a cruise 12 days - so in a a 8 month period there would be 20 cruises x 2225 rooms which would be over 45,000 refunds...cruise lines book out over 2 years so I wouldn't be too skeptical about those numbers

20 hours ago, roger b said:

Yes you are right !! I have had to forfeit $800 from a deposit for another cruise  that was not till 2021  and the law in the U.K is that all monies must be repaid with in 14 days for a booked holiday that is cancelled.

I  see no reason why a multi billion dollar company  should try to withhold their loyal customers money for 3 months I saw FDR on T.V telling everyone that bookings were up 2021 , pity the interviewer did not ask why they are holding on to peoples money.

I cannot see any defense as seen on this board of people making excuses for a company of their stature .

RANT OVER !!!

i think you problem is with the UK laws....in the US we don't have those problems 

5 hours ago, eldaradoe said:

well 2 ship with approx 625 rooms, 3 ships with approx 325 rooms that would equal 2225 rooms....average length of a cruise 12 days - so in a a 8 month period there would be 20 cruises x 2225 rooms which would be over 45,000 refunds...cruise lines book out over 2 years so I wouldn't be too skeptical about those numbers

Yes, but we're not talking about 8 months of cruises being cancelled. More like 3, with the exception of some of Insignia's that was cancelled in Feb. They were still some sailings at the first of March if I'm not mistaken, which could be. 

I just reread the Cruisecritic summary of the FDR interview, which for some reason was sent again to me today in my CC daily email.  The summary states that he anticipates no sailings until late in the third quarter.   

That certainly adds up to many months of anticipated cruise cancellations.

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, eldaradoe said:

i think you problem is with the UK laws....in the US we don't have those problems 

On Reading other boards on Oceania it appears they are still taking final payments for August/September  cruises or lose your deposit , when they have stated that they do not think they will start again until late 2020, so you make final payment to protect your deposit and they then cancel and you wait 90 days to get your money back ,I think is Morally wrong surely no one  is going to defend this !!!

13 hours ago, ORV said:

Yes, but we're not talking about 8 months of cruises being cancelled. More like 3, with the exception of some of Insignia's that was cancelled in Feb. They were still some sailings at the first of March if I'm not mistaken, which could be. 

eight months is close....many people will cancel there cruises before they have to pay additional monies. Cruises past October are being canceled by guests at this point  as this year is in question.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, roger b said:

Yes you are right !! I have had to forfeit $800 from a deposit for another cruise  that was not till 2021  and the law in the U.K is that all monies must be repaid with in 14 days for a booked holiday that is cancelled.

I  see no reason why a multi billion dollar company  should try to withhold their loyal customers money for 3 months I saw FDR on T.V telling everyone that bookings were up 2021 , pity the interviewer did not ask why they are holding on to peoples money.

I cannot see any defense as seen on this board of people making excuses for a company of their stature .

RANT OVER !!!

We are getting a full refund (eventually, hopefully)of our deposit for a September O cruise we cancelled a couple of weeks ago. My reading of the UK T&Cs was that there would be £200pp admin fee deducted which we were happy to lose. Out tA advised his was not the case and we now have a cancellation invoice form O confirming this, no money .....but we have in our hands a piece of paper 😀😀

9 hours ago, roger b said:

On Reading other boards on Oceania it appears they are still taking final payments for August/September  cruises or lose your deposit , when they have stated that they do not think they will start again until late 2020, so you make final payment to protect your deposit and they then cancel and you wait 90 days to get your money back ,I think is Morally wrong surely no one  is going to defend this !!!

Having learned this and other things here, it's shadowed how we feel about cruising - at least on the quasi-US lines. We have an FCC on Hurtigruten and thinking we'll investigate other European lines

12 minutes ago, clo said:

Having learned this and other things here, it's shadowed how we feel about cruising - at least on the quasi-US lines. We have an FCC on Hurtigruten and thinking we'll investigate other European lines

Has it occurred to you they are probably just as bad with their policies? 

I have come here often for information regarding status of refund.  So, thought i should reciprocate:  

We paid in full with AmEx back in Oct or Nov for TA cruise on Riviera leaving Miami on March 31, 2020.  The fare also included 4 days in Rome arranged by Oceania (including hotel and airfare).  Prior to cruise date, but before Oceania cancelled, we knew we were not going because of virus.  We waited for Oceania to cancel.so that we could choose full refund over credit for another trip.  On April  3, our deposit and another unidentifiable amount (probably port fees) were credited to our AM Ex card.  Am Ex sent us a check for the credited amount.  On May 8th the remaining, full amount that was charged for the cruise showed up as a credit on AM EX.  We have, again, requested a check in the amount of the credit, which will be sent out this week.  So approximately 5-6 weeks from cancellation.  For those concerned about bankruptcy, Oceania or its parent company recently received a substantial infusion of money.  So it should just be a matter of when not if regarding refunds.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Nell99 said:

I have come here often for information regarding status of refund.  So, thought i should reciprocate:  

We paid in full with AmEx back in Oct or Nov for TA cruise on Riviera leaving Miami on March 31, 2020.  The fare also included 4 days in Rome arranged by Oceania (including hotel and airfare).  Prior to cruise date, but before Oceania cancelled, we knew we were not going because of virus.  We waited for Oceania to cancel.so that we could choose full refund over credit for another trip.  On April  3, our deposit and another unidentifiable amount (probably port fees) were credited to our AM Ex card.  Am Ex sent us a check for the credited amount.  On May 8th the remaining, full amount that was charged for the cruise showed up as a credit on AM EX.  We have, again, requested a check in the amount of the credit, which will be sent out this week.  So approximately 5-6 weeks from cancellation.  For those concerned about bankruptcy, Oceania or its parent company recently received a substantial infusion of money.  So it should just be a matter of when not if regarding refunds.  

Thanks for your update. Which country are you in? Is the 5 or 6 weeks from the April 3rd date or the May 8th? 

So we see that as recently as 3 days ago someone has received a refund. 

10 minutes ago, Nell99 said:

ORV, We are from Miami, FL. 

From the date O cancelled the trip.   I dont know exact date.  But i do know it was close to departure date, 3/31.  

Thanks for the additional info. 

March 13 is when they made the announcement about March 13 to April 11 cancellations, which would have included Nell99's March 31 cruise.  So Nell99 probably would have cancelled for refund sometime between March 13 and March 30.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22600-nclh-suspends-operations-for-norwegian-oceania-and-regent-brands.html

Edited by Fam_Cruise

Just wondering when the class action lawsuits will commence. Even though the ticket contract states that cruisers waive their right to file class action lawsuits, I doubt this is enforceable. For one thing, the ticket contract says nothing about taking 90 days to pay a refund. I abhor litigation....but the longer customers wait for money they need....the higher the risk that litigation will ensue, it it hasn't already. This has nothing to do with cruise line loyalty, etc....its business.

Edited by Pster55
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pster55 said:

Just wondering when the class action lawsuits will commence. Even though the ticket contract states that cruisers waive their right to file class action lawsuits, I doubt this is enforceable. For one thing, the ticket contract says nothing about taking 90 days to pay a refund. I abhor litigation....but the longer customers wait for money they need....the higher the risk that litigation will ensue, it it hasn't already. This has nothing to do with cruise line loyalty, etc....its business.

Are you serious? A class action lawsuit regarding Oceania taking 90 days to give you your refund??  Don’t you actually need damages before a reputable lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf? And BTW, you indeed have waived your class action rights.

Edited by CintiPam

16 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

before a reputable lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf?

Are you implying that we have a shortage of non reputable lawyers? I can think of one right off the top of my head 😀

Edited by Paulchili

14 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Are you implying that we have a shortage of non reputable lawyers? I can think of one right off the top of my head 😀

I only added the word “reputable” because Americans are so litigious that people will find someone to file suit on one’s behalf although both procedurally and ethically, an attorney should not do so. 

(With over $2 billion in new financing on the way, it also seems somewhat premature to bring legal action. 😉)

Edited by CintiPam

19 hours ago, roger b said:

As much as I want to agree with you, reality has set in. As much as the future is uncertain for passengers, so is it for Oceania.

O recently moved Regatta to the Port of Oakland (along with one NCLH Regent and one NCL ship - in part to position them for future uncertain Pacific departures.

O has no crystal ball about when they will be allowed to cruise and which ports will take them.

If all goes in an ideal direction for cruise lines and cruisers, wouldn't those cruise lines want full ships sailing? No way to do that without having taken the deposits?and final pays -even with an uncertain future. 

We like Oceania and would be keen to cruise with them again.

Reading this thread and others on social media about other cruisers on a variety of cruise lines is a mix of frustration, education and outrage of people not believing they are going to be treated as they expected.

We hope all this returns to normal asap. 

New ships are being built and people are keen to get going again.

Sadly many have died and will not get the opportunity.

How will FCC work?

How will people be accommodated?

How will new bookings will be managed?

Presumably there will be a backlog of prior paid bookings to be accommodated? 

12 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Are you serious? A class action lawsuit regarding Oceania taking 90 days to give you your refund??  Don’t you actually need damages before a reputable lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf? And BTW, you indeed have waived your class action rights.

Quite serious.....I haven't received any refunds from Oceania yet - there's your damages. Did I say I was going to initiate a class action suit right now? Of course I didn't. Might they happen? You betcha. (BTW, many courts don't view requirements to waive one's rights very favorably.) This is a contractual issue....as of now, Oceania is in violation of the contract between the two of us. I'm not, they are. 

Edited by Pster55

On 4/15/2020 at 7:43 AM, royallondon said:

That’s good news Jay23 and excellent service in the circumstances.  Difficult times.

Interestingly, we have an O cruise booked for September (final balance due May) and rang out TA to see what would happen if we were to cancel due to all the uncertainty.  We were told we would lose the total deposit paid.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

keep well.

Are you in the UK?  I know the rules for refunds are different there than in the US.