Oceania Refunds - Has anyone actually received any cash yet?

Pster55

When our March 31 Riviera cruise was cancelled We opted for the 125% FCC.  Our notice of FCC availability came in mid-April but was short of 125%.  Contact with Oceania thru our TA showed that the taxes and our air upgrade had to be returned as credit to our card.  That refund hit the bank today so we are finally all square and up to 125%.  There's hope.

22 hours ago, Glenndale said:

We booked thru the Eskimo house and we have had zero information from them.

We are now within a week of the 90 days limit that O had previously referred to.

I have emailed O again today to try and discover when we will be refunded and am now seriously considering either going for a chargeback on our CC or a section 75.

Which route have you all decided to take?

Sharon, I'm assuming you were only waiting for a return of deposit? whereas Medeba and myself had paid in full for our holidays.

Roger B and Holidayreader are you waiting for a deposit or a return of your total holiday payments?

It was for full payment of cruise on 13th May baring any dispute from O the money should be clear by July 6th

On 6/8/2020 at 9:52 AM, Glenndale said:

We booked thru the Eskimo house and we have had zero information from them.

We are now within a week of the 90 days limit that O had previously referred to.

I have emailed O again today to try and discover when we will be refunded and am now seriously considering either going for a chargeback on our CC or a section 75.

Which route have you all decided to take?

Sharon, I'm assuming you were only waiting for a return of deposit? whereas Medeba and myself had paid in full for our holidays.

Roger B and Holidayreader are you waiting for a deposit or a return of your total holiday payments?

Hi Glenndale

Just a minor correction. Our refund is just the deposit not full payment. Even so, it’s still £1500.

We have cancelled two cruises one due Sept 2020 we cancelled end of April we have received the deposit refunded direct to our CC not to the TA. 

Second one we cancelled 10 March a 5 May cruise. Our tA has constantly chased this and was told last week there had been some issue but it had been passed through for a refund that week. Nothing received so she chased again and has now been told it missed the one payment run per week as it had to go for a second signatory. She spoke to the accounts department who have confirmed they now have it and it is being processed in this weeks run. 

We will see.

Our Celebrity cruise that was curtailed earlier this year was for whatever reason refunded to the TA.They told us that what they received was one payment  covering a number of customers and it took them over a week to reconcile it as there was no accompanying breakdown. Possibly this is why other TAs have not passed monies on quickly ( trying to be charitable!) 

42 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Our deposit refund arrived yesterday. It was exactly 60 days from the time we cancelled. 

2 hours ago, clo said:

We got our refund (deposit) one day short of the six weeks they had said. So good.

So glad to hear that you've got your money back! It's good to hear of people being refunded but interesting to see Oceania's priorities; they seem to be making sure people's deposits are returned if they cancel, before attending to those of us who paid in full more than 8 months ago and who had our cruise cancelled by Oceania. We have been waiting 88 days and have been told it will be another month. We haven't even had our deposit back. Also all the folks who live in the USA seem to have been refunded first, possibly this may be a legal issue though it was my understanding that if Oceania cancelled they should refund within 14 days?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HOLIDAYREADER said:

So glad to hear that you've got your money back! It's good to hear of people being refunded but interesting to see Oceania's priorities; they seem to be making sure people's deposits are returned if they cancel, before attending to those of us who paid in full more than 8 months ago and who had our cruise cancelled by Oceania. We have been waiting 88 days and have been told it will be another month. We haven't even had our deposit back. Also all the folks who live in the USA seem to have been refunded first, possibly this may be a legal issue though it was my understanding that if Oceania cancelled they should refund within 14 days?

Very few people in the US got their money back within 14 days.  

11 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

Very few people in the US got their money back within 14 days.  

No that wasn't my point. According to their own terms and conditions those who had their cruises cancelled by Oceania should have had their money returned within 14 days, whereas Oceania seem to be prioritising the return of deposits to customers who cancel the cruise themselves which ( according to the terms and conditions) might be expected to take longer. On our cruise, the cruisers from the US have all got their money back in stage payments whereas most passengers from other places such as UK and Australia have received nothing and are being told that they have to wait 120 days. I was wondering whether this was because Oceania thought it would be less likely for customers outside the US to launch a class action lawsuit for the return of their money.

(b) Pre-departure cancellation
Occasionally, it may be necessary to cancel confirmed holiday arrangements. In the event we are prevented from performing your contracted holiday arrangements as a result of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances (see clause 10) and we notify you of this as soon as reasonably possible, we have the right to terminate your contract. In this situation, we will refund all monies you have paid to us within 14 days of the date we inform you of the cancellation but will have no further or other liability to you including in respect of compensation or any costs or expenses you incur or have incurred.

6 minutes ago, HOLIDAYREADER said:

Occasionally, it may be necessary to cancel confirmed holiday arrangements. In the event we are prevented from performing your contracted holiday arrangements as a result of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances (see clause 10) and we notify you of this as soon as reasonably possible, we have the right to terminate your contract. In this situation, we will refund all monies you have paid to us within 14 days of the date we inform you of the cancellation but will have no further or other liability to you including in respect of compensation or any costs or expenses you incur or have incurred.

Isn't the 14 day rule  from ABTA  in the UK?

The wording in Oceania  N.A. contracts do not have that clause

Just curious if you used  a TA  ?  It seems they are part of the delay problem  from other posts here

Some have posted they are contacting their CC for  a refund

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Isn't the 14 day rule  from ABTA  in the UK?

The wording in Oceania  N.A. contracts do not have that clause

Just curious if you used  a TA  ?  It seems they are part of the delay problem  from other posts here

Some have posted they are contacting their CC for  a refund

It is on Oceania's own terms and conditions for the UK which is not the same as ABTA which is an organisation which guarantees the money if the TA goes bust. We have contacted our TA, they contacted Oceania directly who told them that they would not consider paying their UK clients until 90 days from 31st March although the cruise was cancelled on 13th March. They said that after this time it could take more than 14 days to process claims leading to a refund period of 120 days +. Of course, our TA could have paid us and waited for a refund from Oceania as one UK TA has done; I presume our TA does not have the funds to do it due to the down turn in business.

20 minutes ago, HOLIDAYREADER said:

It is on Oceania's own terms and conditions for the UK which is not the same as ABTA which is an organisation which guarantees the money if the TA goes bust. We have contacted our TA, they contacted Oceania directly who told them that they would not consider paying their UK clients until 90 days from 31st March although the cruise was cancelled on 13th March. They said that after this time it could take more than 14 days to process claims leading to a refund period of 120 days +. Of course, our TA could have paid us and waited for a refund from Oceania as one UK TA has done; I presume our TA does not have the funds to do it due to the down turn in business.

We're in Canada,  cancelled ourselves on March 10 and it was deposit only.  We have received nothing.

19 minutes ago, HOLIDAYREADER said:

It is on Oceania's own terms and conditions for the UK which is not the same as ABTA which is an organisation which guarantees the money if the TA goes bust.

Sorry  I was thinking maybe Oceania UK has to have that in their contract as part of the ABTA rules

Just guessing

AFAIK there is no time limit on the US Contracts

Hope the funds come through soon for everyone

1 hour ago, HOLIDAYREADER said:

No that wasn't my point. According to their own terms and conditions those who had their cruises cancelled by Oceania should have had their money returned within 14 days, whereas Oceania seem to be prioritising the return of deposits to customers who cancel the cruise themselves which ( according to the terms and conditions) might be expected to take longer. On our cruise, the cruisers from the US have all got their money back in stage payments whereas most passengers from other places such as UK and Australia have received nothing and are being told that they have to wait 120 days. I was wondering whether this was because Oceania thought it would be less likely for customers outside the US to launch a class action lawsuit for the return of their money.

The US Ticket Contract does not contain any such time limit.  It must be a UK contract item.  Here's the link to the US Ticket Contract.  The relevant item is section 4:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/10812/US-TicketContract.pdf

Edited by 1985rz1

[quote post="60048897" timestamp="1591540774" name="LHT28" userid="

We usually share a table   & have only met a few people we would not sit with again
[emoji6]

Same here. We have made wonderful friends through sharing tables. One couple lives 10k from us and we are great friends. Met them on the other side of the world- likely never would have met if not for the cruise. Only 1 obnoxious couple in many cruises. Although, to be fair, I think they are divorced by now! Lol. Our cancelled cruise was to celebrate 40 years....

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

16 hours ago, jean163 said:

We're in Canada,  cancelled ourselves on March 10 and it was deposit only.  We have received nothing.

We are also from Canada.  I cancelled our November 2021 cruise on May 5.  Received full refund of deposit yesterday (June 9) so effectively had to wait 5 weeks.  Coincidentally, I had actually called my credit card company yesterday to initiate a dispute before the credit showed up and lo and behold, after speaking with them and starting the process the credit appeared on my account when I checked this morning.  In talking to the credit card company rep it seemed obvious that she has dealt with a number of these types of requests as she was quick to move things along and didn't really have any questions.  I called them back this morning to verify that the credit to my account was actually from Oceania and not a temporary credit placed by the credit card company as part of their dispute resolution process.

Edited by Gogie

Perhaps what we are seeing is due to the big cash transfusion that NCLH recently got as opposed to when or who cancelled or whether it was just deposit or full payment, or when the cruise was or is. 

I have been made whole with 3 deposit refunds in 43 days and 1 full fare refund in 53 days. Quite pleased with this.

Not as good as Viking (3 days) or American cruise line (1 month) but much better than Seabourn and Crystal where I am still waiting for a much longer time.

Maybe they've recently decided to have a go at refunds to Canadians!  I contacted my TA a few days ago and voila it's on my credit card now.  92 days, just glad it's resolved as didn't want to start any kind of dispute, either with O or the CC company (it was a deposit paid direct to O)!  Signing off this forum now, good luck to everyone still waiting!

• Like 1