Booked w/o telling my spouse...

Okay, so I booked a cruise for my wife and I without telling her. We do have one booked that we picked together before the 'surprise' booking. Trying to decided how to let the cat of of the bag. Anyone else been in this situation? How did you handle it? How did it end up? Looking forward to some stories here...! 🙂 

I've done exactly the same thing. Booked last December the brand new Enchanted Princess for August 1st sailing out of Italy. Booked the flight to Rome too. Got a great deal with drinks, gratuities and Wifi included.

As much as I want this cruise to happen, realistically I now doubt it will. Full payment is due later this month so I will cancel then. I may not tell the wife I ever booked it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We surprised our kids with an Alaskan cruise. We told them at Christmas by creating a brochure of sorts with an itinerary, photos of the ship, photos from the excursions we booked, etc.

Maybe something new to wear that's appropriate for the cruise destination? Like a swimsuit for a Caribbean cruise or a raincoat or fleece jacket for Alaska. You could also go to a travel agent and get the cruise ship book, give it to her, and circle the cruise you booked inside for her to discover.

Edited by TwinMamainMN
typo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I've done exactly the same thing. Booked last December the brand new Enchanted Princess for August 1st sailing out of Italy. Booked the flight to Rome too. Got a great deal with drinks, gratuities and Wifi included.

As much as I want this cruise to happen, realistically I now doubt it will. Full payment is due later this month so I will cancel then. I may not tell the wife I ever booked it. 

Oh man! I hope it happens for you!

28 minutes ago, CaribbeanCrushed said:

Okay, so I booked a cruise for my wife and I without telling her. We do have one booked that we picked together before the 'surprise' booking. Trying to decided how to let the cat of of the bag. Anyone else been in this situation? How did you handle it? How did it end up? Looking forward to some stories here...! 🙂 

Do you have kids ? How about a Mothers Day gift for being such an amazing Mother ?

• Like 1

I do it all the time.

My wife has little interest in planning.

However we cruise on SpringBreak & Thanksgiving pretty much every year so she sort of expects it...

Edited by matj2000
  • Like 1

Well the cruise wasn't a surprise but I booked an upgrade without telling DH.  It was from a Sky suite to a Royal Suite (on Celebrity).  My plan was to surprise him when we got to the room but it was foiled by a shore side concierge e-mail asking about preferences in the room, bar set up, mini fridge contents, etc.  With the cat out of the bag, so to speak I was initially bummed that my surprise was ruined.  He told me that he was glad he found out ahead of time because that made him even more excited for the cruise. That made me realize that the anticipation of the cruise was just as much fun for him as it is for me, so no more surprises...at least when it comes to cruising. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well the cruise wasn't a surprise but I booked an upgrade without telling DH.  It was from a Sky suite to a Royal Suite (on Celebrity).  My plan was to surprise him when we got to the room but it was foiled by a shore side concierge e-mail asking about preferences in the room, bar set up, mini fridge contents, etc.  With the cat out of the bag, so to speak I was initially bummed that my surprise was ruined.  He told me that he was glad he found out ahead of time because that made him even more excited for the cruise. That made me realize that the anticipation of the cruise was just as much fun for him as it is for me, so no more surprises...at least when it comes to cruising. 

Nice! I have a feeling my wife will found out in a similar fashion. 🙂

• Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 8:42 AM, CaribbeanCrushed said:

I wouldn't tell her until the pandemic has lifted and cruises are going without any problems. Why raise excitement and let her be disappointed?

I booked a Star Class suite for 2022 for mine and my husband's birthdays and didn't tell him😬 But I am always in charge of vacation plans as my husband just likes to enjoy whatever I plan without having to be involved in it🙃

55 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

I booked a Star Class suite for 2022 for mine and my husband's birthdays and didn't tell him😬 But I am always in charge of vacation plans as my husband just likes to enjoy whatever I plan without having to be involved in it🙃

I usually do 90+% of the vacation planning and scheduling too. My wife will jump in around the time she starts deciding on clothes to take, so about 2 weeks before. 🙂 Other than that she pretty disconnected, 'til someone asked about our trip. I don't know how many times she's turned to me to ask, "so, what ship are we going on?" LOL

• Haha 1

I do that many times.  Pretty much just have to tell the DH that it is time to pack a bag.  😉  He is good with that.  🙂 

He always has to check with me to see if we have anything scheduled before making a doctor's appointment..etc.  

• Haha 1