When Do You Plan To Cruise Again?

SargassoPirate

We have cancelled our scheduled cruises through the end of the year - 2020.  We were slated to board the ill fated Ruby Princess in Australia on April 4 and missed that one by a hair.  We  were anticipating the cruise back home after several weeks on land, but barely made it out of Australia to the US on one of the few remaining flights between Sydney and the US.

We are able to keep ourselves safe by practicing frequent hand washing and sanitizing - thus breaking the most prevalent method of Covid-19 transmission - hand to mouth/face.  But, too many people don't wash their hands and too many travel logistics are beyond our control.

We have cruises booked through early 2022, but do not plan to leave the US or step on a cruise ship until there is a widespread vaccine and treatment for Covid-19.

How about you?  When will you be willing to chance it?

Edited by SargassoPirate

No.  Nothing booked and no plan to book anything-far out or last minute.  We are tentatively planning for two extended trips in the future.  We will not be considering a cruise(s) for either of them. 

Cannot say when we will be willing to chance it.  Certainly not 2020.  Not a big issue for us.  We had done lots of cruises and cruising is only one of many travel options for us.  We feel exactly the same way about cruises as we do about AI's.

We are not even considering booking any flights either.  Who knows what airlines or flights will be in business, and the extent to which they will be operating, six or eight months from now.  Not at all interested in any time limiting credits on airlines or on cruises.  We want the flexibility to shop independently in the future.  Some of the attractive pricing that we see is of no interest to us for that very reason.

• Like 4

I'm not cruising until January 2023. I was originally booked for World Cruise starting Feb 2022 but I became concerned a vaccine might still not be ready for distribution at that point. I am probably being way too cautious.  I did prefer the itinerary on the 2022 and 2023 does seem so far away.  But both are amazing cruises and I would feel more than lucky to be on either. 

Probably 2021 for us, 2020 is finished, I'd not be surprised economy and leisure travel in 2021 will be terrible, but if the places I want to sail and visit aren't irrationally closing borders due to small upticks, I'll plan for 2021.

My current plan is to sail again in April 2021. Fingers crossed that cruising will have resumed and Europe will be open for visitors. Please stay safe and contribute to the recovery in whatever capacity you are able.

21 hours ago, rwdtgb said:

I have a cruise booked for July 4,2020 and plan to go as long as the cruise is still going. I am not worried one bit.

Lol!!   This is funny! Seriously doubt you will be cruising anywhere this July! And just imagine , even if you do, and there is COvid outbreak on the ship. You will be stuck sailing aimlessly off some shore with no port allowing the ship to dock. Confined to your stateroom with cold, stale sandwiches delivered  twice a day!  Sounds like fun!😜

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

Lol!!   This is funny! Seriously doubt you will be cruising anywhere this July! And just imagine , even if you do, and there is COvid outbreak on the ship. You will be stuck sailing aimlessly off some shore with no port allowing the ship to dock. Confined to your stateroom with cold, stale sandwiches delivered  twice a day!  Sounds like fun!😜

It sounds great to me.. I am not believing the hype on the media new studies are coming out daily that this virus is not as bad as was originally thought. The studies out of USC are saying more people had been infected not showing symptoms or mild symptoms which would then mean the mortality rate is less than 1%.... Time to STOP living in fear....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:18 AM, SargassoPirate said:

We have cancelled our scheduled cruises through the end of the year - 2020.  We were slated to board the ill fated Ruby Princess in Australia on April 4 and missed that one by a hair.  We  were anticipating the cruise back home after several weeks on land, but barely made it out of Australia to the US on one of the few remaining flights between Sydney and the US.

We are able to keep ourselves safe by practicing frequent hand washing and sanitizing - thus breaking the most prevalent method of Covid-19 transmission - hand to mouth/face.  But, too many people don't wash their hands and too many travel logistics are beyond our control.

We have cruises booked through early 2022, but do not plan to leave the US or step on a cruise ship until there is a widespread vaccine and treatment for Covid-19.

How about you?  When will you be willing to chance it?

We have a December 2020 cruise booked which we will cancel.Due to illness this was going to be my last cruise.Will I ever cruise again ? I think not.The best part of cruising for me has not been the ships or the itinerary but for the wonderful people I met and became friends with.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have a December 2020 cruise booked which we will cancel.Due to illness this was going to be my last cruise.Will I ever cruise again ? I think not.The best part of cruising for me has not been the ships or the itinerary but for the wonderful people I met and became friends with.

Len  -- 

I hope you have the opportunity to cruise again!!!

However, fully appreciate that you must do what's right for you 🙂

On 4/21/2020 at 1:28 PM, rwdtgb said:

It sounds great to me.. I am not believing the hype on the media new studies are coming out daily that this virus is not as bad as was originally thought. The studies out of USC are saying more people had been infected not showing symptoms or mild symptoms which would then mean the mortality rate is less than 1%.... Time to STOP living in fear....

Very true, rwdtgb.  While She Who Must Be Obeyed and I know how to keep ourselves safe through universal precautions, my trepidation about cruising too soon are things beyond our control such as what we expereinced in March.  Ports closing to cruise ships.  Cancelled flights.  In-country travel restrictions.  That's why we'll suspend international travel until there is a world-wide vaccine.  It's time to spend some of our travel dollars in the good old USA anyway.

18 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

LENQUIXOTE66 -  I sure hope you get to cruise again, but for what it's worth, you have quite a few on CC who consider you a friend. ☺,

Thank you .I have vacationed all over the state of Texas and have met many wonderful people.

We've postponed our Alaskan cruise from September 2020 until September 2021.   We will reassess over the next year.   We've been staying at home, social distancing when out,  washing out hands and wearing mask when out in public.  

We have also postponed our Alaskan cruise from September 2929 until September 2021. We have until mid June 2021 to cancel that if we need to. I hope we can go. For medical reasons, we didn't have a vacation last year and covid-19 happened this year and I can't even see driving somewhere this year.

We are 62 and 64 and in good health. We had a cruise cancelled in March and are in serious cruise withdrawal...our last one was all the way back in September!

Currently, we have 3 cruises booked, August 29,2020, December 6, 2020 and March, 2021. I hope that everything will start back up in late July or first of August this year with obvious changes made. Less passengers, adjusted muster drills, chairs further apart at pool, enhanced screening process to board. We always are aware of germs and wash our hands and carry hand sanitizer with us, I think with some care, cruising will be feasible again soon.

We are now viewing cruising, at least for us, as a thing of the past.  We will still hopefully travel as frequently as we have in the past however cruising will not be a part of it.

The only saving grace for us is we did not have any cruises planned or booked. Not a dime of our money is with any cruise line nor could we imagine giving any cruise line a dime of our money at this point in time.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:52 PM, NSnJW said:

If the cruise lines start requiring a doctors release for people 70 and over, I'm screwed.  My regular doctor is with the VA and VA doctors won't sign anything.

The fit to travel form is no longer required. 

We have absolutely no plans to cruise this year. We normally book a B2B (21 days or more) spending a few pre and post days where we embark and disembark. We will consider 2021 but only if there is a vaccine. We are making plans to spend Christmas at home since December (Asia cruise) was where we had planned to cruise this year. This will be the first year in 20+ years we will not cruise.