When Do You Plan To Cruise Again?

SargassoPirate

We have tentatively decided on our next trip.  Land trip, two months.  May/June 2021.  

I would be surprised if we traveled overseas before this.  I would not be surprised if even this is pushed out to fall 2021.

Edited by iancal

We just booked for Thanksgiving week. I figure if we are careful about being around too many people we should be fine. I also think the lines will be really careful about keeping things clean.

We cancelled our cruise with Carnival for next January. We won't book another until they refund our deposit. They are saying at least 90 days. Also we won't book another until a vaccine is available. Being diabetic  I'm not going to walk around on a ship wearing face-masks all day. Hope they get it done soon. 

Edited by KEN W

Well since wearing a mask does almost nothing for me but does a lot for others around me, I will wear a mask if necessary.  It is just a sign of respect and a modicum of care for your fellow man.  Now if I could just figure out how to eat if masks are needed.  I wouldn't like room service for every meal even if it were offered.

• Like 1

We cannot imagine booking a cruise at this point in time without knowing what the on board environment will be.  We are not anxious enough to book a cruise that we would do so without even knowing if we would enjoy being on board with whatever restrictions there happens to be.

Nor would we be willing to book a cruise based on the current advertised itinerary.   We would want to have a good indication that most of the advertised port stops and venues in those ports would be open.

We believe that there is still a long way to go on this pandemic.   Health experts are expecting a second wave in the September time frame  but who really knows.   

Our health and our well being is far more important to us than our desire to cruise.  Over and above this, we do not even know what the industry will look like coming out of this crises.  Or the cruise line or cruise ship lineup.    Our approach would be to keep our hands in our pockets, not give a dime to any cruise line at this time, and if we had an outstanding refund we would decline an FCC and we would institute a credit card dispute in order to speed up the return of any outstanding monies owed to us.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

We have a BTB transatlantic scheduled for December.   We have had two other cruises canceled this year.   My husband and I are low risk, and not overweight so we are not worried about COVID 19.   We will follow whatever the new procedures are on board the ship.   We also cruise only twice a year so we can afford a nice cabin/suite.   If we are confined to our cabin we will have a nice space and a large balcony.   We also have a great supply of books on our kindles.

• Like 1

We cancelled our cruise which was sailing end of June.  Will see how things go and hope by June 2021 we might cruise again.  It’s more the air travel we need to get to ship that I’m more concerned about, really don’t want to be sitting on a plane. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been contemplating a cruise in Jan 2022.  Mostly what that depends on is if I get this job I am interviewing for on Monday and whether my youngest son accelerates his college studies to get out in 4 years rather than the 5 year path he's currently on.  If I get the job and my son stays on his current path, then I'll hopefully be taking my first solo cruise in Jan 2022.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 1:43 PM, rwdtgb said:

I have a cruise booked for July 4,2020 and plan to go as long as the cruise is still going. I am not worried one bit.

I see this post was from April 20th.........July 4th is now just under a month away.  I don't think there are any cruises

going anywhere next month.  Did you or the cruise line you are going with cancel it yet?

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

I see this post was from April 20th.........July 4th is now just under a month away.  I don't think there are any cruises

going anywhere next month.  Did you or the cruise line you are going with cancel it yet?

I had to reschedule for August 30 on the Horizon out of Miami. I got 600 ship credit and another 200 ship credit because of a special going on during my booking. 

We have October booked for cruising and February 2021 booked, also.  Coming up on final date for the first week of October's cruise and will likely cancel it.  I plan on just looking at things one week at a time as I cannot see 4 weeks in my crystal ball.  I will definitely cruise, if/when I become immune to the virus-either by getting it myself or getting the vaccine.  

Either way, I am soooo looking forward to getting back on the seas.

I am also looking forward to cruising again but I have nothing booked as of this time. I do have a FCC that will come

in handy.  I am planning on going in 2021 but don't know when!

My Alaska cruise for August of this year was cancelled before final payment. I have rebooked for next year but don't know whether I will really go. I'm almost certain to cancel a booking for January, less certain about April. With the Alaska rebooking, I have too many cruises in 2021 and not enough vacation time unless I retire.

On the other hand, I've made a new booking for 2022, when I'll be 70.

• 2 weeks later...

Princess cancelled my October "Search for the Northern Lights" cruise, so I booked a similar one for October 2021.  I hope the pandemic will be over by then or that there will be an effective vaccine or treatment. If not, we'll cancel by the final payment date and get our deposit back.   DH and I are in a high risk group because of our ages.

The cruises I'm more concerned about are 4 B2B Azamara cruises beginning May 11, 2021.  We have a substantial non-refundable deposit on those. 

We have an Alaska cruise (leaving from Seattle) booked for July 2021. I have a booking on hold for March 2022 for a short Caribbean cruise out of PC - have to decide by tomorrow if I will keep it - price is very good, and I  figured I can change it if need be. We cruised Feb 29 -March 5 this year just ahead of the quarantine.  I will be more than ready to cruise by Summer 2021.

• Like 1

I think that yes, we will cruise again-  Although my husband never was a big fan of the cruises we took out of Galveston, I think he would really like Canada and the Mediterranean.  We don't cruise to gamble or to chow down at the buffet, but to see things we haven't seen before.  With all that said, neither one of us would like to get stuck on the neverending sea voyage, even if we weren't ill.  Covid is going to have to burn out before I make another reservation, and I definitely need to get my deposit for the last cruise I booked (NCL Canada) prior to booking another.

• Like 2

We’ve booked a B2B Transatlantic and Mediterranean for April/ May of 2021. That’s so far away there’s no telling what will happen between now and then.  I’m 61 and in healthcare so I am pretty much face to face with Covid all the time.  Hand washing and masking are such a part of my life anyway that I doubt anything required on the ship would pose a problem , at least for me. 

Aside from this seeming like a fun cruise with friends this was sort of my way of saying we weren’t going to stop planning and living. 

Edited by DreadPirateRobert
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:18 AM, SargassoPirate said:

We have cancelled our scheduled cruises through the end of the year - 2020.  We were slated to board the ill fated Ruby Princess in Australia on April 4 and missed that one by a hair.  We  were anticipating the cruise back home after several weeks on land, but barely made it out of Australia to the US on one of the few remaining flights between Sydney and the US.

We are able to keep ourselves safe by practicing frequent hand washing and sanitizing - thus breaking the most prevalent method of Covid-19 transmission - hand to mouth/face.  But, too many people don't wash their hands and too many travel logistics are beyond our control.

We have cruises booked through early 2022, but do not plan to leave the US or step on a cruise ship until there is a widespread vaccine and treatment for Covid-19.

How about you?  When will you be willing to chance it?

We’re social distancing wearing masks and just surviving. Age 65 high blood pressure and compromised immune system from stage 3 cancer were not going on a cruise ship anytime soon. We’re looking forward to Bermuda this fall and Europe too. Plus transatlantic and Caribbean February. Now not even sure about just going to Florida this winter. Survival is key

47 minutes ago, cementhands said:

We’re social distancing wearing masks and just surviving. Age 65 high blood pressure and compromised immune system from stage 3 cancer were not going on a cruise ship anytime soon. We’re looking forward to Bermuda this fall and Europe too. Plus transatlantic and Caribbean February. Now not even sure about just going to Florida this winter. Survival is key

Do you feel safe getting on a plane? 

Are you aware that the European Union is closed to US residents? 

Right now, Florida is not a safe place and it isn't getting any better.  I live there.