When Do You Plan To Cruise Again?

SargassoPirate

On 3/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, islandwoman said:

I'm only 6 years younger than you are and so have a different perspective than Lois R.  My suggestion is that you base your choice on the state of the pandemic at the time of sailing.  If you've had your vaccines and the pandemic seems to have run its course, then go for it 😀  But if more contagious or more deadly variants are circulating widely, stay home and stay safe.  Book now if you can get a refundable fare and then keep a close eye on cancellation deadlines.  Or buy travel insurance if you can find any that is affordable and will cover both the pandemic and pre-existing conditions.

Well, this is something.  We are on the same cruise and we are the same age.  I just turned 76 yesterday.  i think someone made a mistake as I am just a young person!!🤣

We buy insurance as DH has pre-existing conditions, but we are both rearing to go when the ships start sailing.

We have only had one shot as Canada is really behind in this.  We have to wait 4 months for the second one, but we're hoping this will be lessened as they are using Pharmacies now to vaccinate as many as possible with Astra Zeneca.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:07 PM, GoVolsTB said:

Changed my mind!!  Booked a Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas TA for less than 1/2 the price!  I love Celebrity but I just can’t justify the price.

Good for you.  I hope you really enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

No idea.  While working,  a cruise was the main event for us.  Now retired a cruise is an add on to independent land travels.  We do far less cruising. We can take then or leave them.  Same with AI resorts.

We have no intention of buying another cruise until we know what we will be getting in terms of ports that are open, mandatory or non mandatory shore excursions, on board restrictions, etc.

So it could be quite a while before we even consider shopping for a late booking cruise to complement land travel.   

Over a year later and I've moved some deposits around and cancelled some others.  My next cruise will be early 2023 in hopes that cruising will be back to normal by then with little chance of interrupted itineraries or missed ports.  By then anyone who wants a vaccine and a booster will have it and I hope all cruise lines require 100 percent vaccinations for crew and PAX.

In the meantime, I've enjoyed watching the cruise fund grow and plan to treat myself to a world cruise.  Go big or go home!

After our cruise being cancelled March 2020...

We have not yet booked a cruise...
However, SIL & BIL - cruise newbies - have just booked a Bermuda Cruise w/ Viking in July...

They are very excited for their first cruise, to say the least & are already talking about future cruises.

We can't join them this time - but in the past few years, although they have wanted to join us - they just haven't been able...
If all goes well on their first cruise - we will definitely cruise together in the future 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 10:26 PM, islandwoman said:

July 2021?  Where do you embark?

I think Crystal has sailings that are out of Nassau and Bimini this summer. 

I am booked with Storylines in 2023. And I am hoping that everything will turn into normal by then since these COVID-19 protocol requirements is such a hassle and I don't want myself to feel burden and get tired taking care of those requirements lol. 

My Island Princess "Search for the Northern Lights" October 2021 has been cancelled. This is the second time. I'm about to postpone my Viking River Cruises Danube Waltz October 2021because of the Princess cancellation.  My next booked cruise is Azamara Journey "Asia Intensive" April 26, 2022.  I don't have much hope for that one because it originates in Tokyo and Japan is not doing very well with COVID.  

I intended to wait until August 2022 in hopes that coronavirus would be fully in the rearview mirror, and  booked a Southern Caribbean cruise on NCL for then. About a week after I booked that one, I saw a good deal on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Celebrity's new ship in April 2023, so I booked that one. I felt I was set until the 2024 season. But the more I thought about it, August 2022 seemed so far away. I started thinking maybe I'd chance a 2021 end of year sailing, and yesterday I happened on a good deal on a Royal Caribbean Western Caribbean cruise that sails from Galveston in January 2022. Since Galveston is within easy driving distance for me, I couldn't pass that one up and booked that one. Yes, that's a lot of the Caribbean, but I haven't been there and all three cruises go to different destinations. These will be my first NCL and Royal Caribbean cruises. I've only ever sailed with Celebrity and Princess.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I'm sailing solo on Aug 28, my first in a couple of years. DH and I are sailing on Dec 4. It's almost business as usual or our varied trips.

What are the vaccine requirements on your two cruises? 

Welp, couldn't wait until my January cruise so I booked a 5-night Western Caribbean on Royal Caribbean that sails from Galveston on December 1. Sure, it's just eight weeks sooner, but I'm getting a 2019 cruise in the books. 134 days until I'm finally cruising again. 😁 

2 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Do you all feel comfortable sailing on a ship where not everyone has had the COVID vaccination?

Yes, I do. According to the CDC,  for "people aged 18 years and older, the Moderna vaccine is 94.1% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 infection in people who receive two doses and have no evidence of being previously infected." I'm healthy and fully vaccinated. While I believe people who decline to take the vaccine have every right to do so, I've done my part to protect myself, the people I love, and others by taking it. Now I'm getting on with my life. I can live with the 5.9% risk.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, islandwoman said:

Do you all feel comfortable sailing on a ship where not everyone has had the COVID vaccination?

We are sailing in three weeks on Independence out of Galveston. Since this is out of Tx. the protocells require that everyone over 12 be vaccinated, unless you have a verifiable medical exemption.  With the number of passengers limited to between 40-50 percent of capacity and the other conditions RCCL has on the cruise we feel very comfortable being on the cruise. The air flight to Tx. will be way more risk than being on a ship at this time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sailed on July 8th for 10 days out of Athens🙂.  It was different but I  look back now (I got home last Sunday) and I had a marvelous time. It was amazing being on the water again.....so much so that I booked a cruise this week for Alaska for next month.😃  I am starting to make up for lost time LOL.

We only had 200 guests on the Greece cruise and everyone, all passengers and crew were all vaccinated.  I felt quite safe.

• Like 3