What it will take for cruising to resume

eel

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Good explanation in the video. Given the significant changes contemplated, I think we are much more than 100 days away. 

There are fundamental changes here, none of which raise cruise lines revenue, which has been there MO recently. Maybe they need to take that space where they were adding more cabins and expand the medical facilities? Or have an entire section of cabins solely for quarantining passengers? Or make one of the older ships a hospital ship for the fleet? Or all of the above? 

The cruise lines reaction and plans to address this will be interesting to watch. 

mac_tlc

Turn the Diamond Lounge into an ICU. 

• Haha 1

There are many cruises booked, some this fall, some a year out.

These cruises can already be booked got full capacity, or close to it. How will they make these changes such as social distancing ?

Cancel the cruise for a 1/3 of the passengers?

We have a cruise booked late August, after the 100 days.  Are they going to tell some people they are cancelled?

13 minutes ago, B-52 said:

There are many cruises booked, some this fall, some a year out.

These cruises can already be booked got full capacity, or close to it. How will they make these changes such as social distancing ?

Cancel the cruise for a 1/3 of the passengers?

We have a cruise booked late August, after the 100 days.  Are they going to tell some people they are cancelled?

Not all cabins are taken, since there are also various guanratee bookings. Given the current situation I doubt a lot of cruises are already fully booked and even then, the cruise lines will start with the ones who booked lowest fare cabins first, meaning inside and ocean view. Should we see a reduction in capacity to be implemented, you will see this capacity to hit the inside cabins as these are the lowest yielding ones.

Our cruise is late August...final payment in May.

Been on the fence about canceling, or wait it out.

Considering these changes taking place, I will re-consider keeping the cruise.

I was concerned about being crammed shoulder to shoulder with other passengers

27 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Not all cabins are taken, since there are also various guanratee bookings. Given the current situation I doubt a lot of cruises are already fully booked and even then, the cruise lines will start with the ones who booked lowest fare cabins first, meaning inside and ocean view. Should we see a reduction in capacity to be implemented, you will see this capacity to hit the inside cabins as these are the lowest yielding ones.

And there again another form of discrimination arises. Just because pax choose an inside cabin shouldn't be a way to exclude/limit them from sailing.

However as the old saying goes " money " talks and BS walks.

Hang on, The cruise industry is in for the ride of their life.

• Like 1

Here is the text of the CDC order from the Federal Register.  Note that this is currently unpublished but is slated to go into effect on April 15. It is possible it may be modified before then.  I am sure CLIA and the cruise lines have been given the opportunity to comment.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/15/2020-07930/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-modification-and-extension-and-other-measures

4 hours ago, LXA350 said:

The space ratio per passenger should be be at least not decreased, hence the adding of cabins and adding always more passegers to the same amount of space has to stop.

True, but compared to Ratio ships had 30yrs ago its about Double now. In 90's was selling point. New Royal ship's first was in 30's, then mid 40's sq ft per passenger, older ships were in 20's... Two weeks ago got questionnaire from 2 different Airlines. Included would I feel safer and more likely fly if all middle seats were empty. Duh, yeah! Flew in Oct after 9/11 and 200 passenger flight had only 20 of us. Looks like many are already as empty.  Did several Cruises in 2001-2002, were cheapest ever paid and ships still never sailed Full. Be interesting when Cruising resumes if passengers are afraid to travel like 20yrs ago during the 9/11-Anthrax scare

Edited by ONECRUISER

39 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

What it will take for cruising to resume in July

.........nothing short of a real fast and a REAL BIG MIRACLE!

Hi Arzeena.I hope you and RJ are well.

In my opinion cruising should not resume until there is a vaccine that works .

My belief is that will not be until January or February 2021.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 10:08 AM, B-52 said:

Our cruise is late August...final payment in May.

Been on the fence about canceling, or wait it out.

Considering these changes taking place, I will re-consider keeping the cruise.

I was concerned about being crammed shoulder to shoulder with other passengers

How in the heck will social distancing be controlled in elevators? Allow 2 people at a time?  LOL. This entire line of protocols is beyond ridiculous, (except for doing something with the self-serve buffets),   and will never work on most cruise ships. 

IMO cruising will only start up before there is either a vaccine or a very effective treatment by only allowing people who have had the virus and developed antibodies, (we really need this test!.), to cruise. There really isn't any other way I can think of that will guarantee a healthy ship that would safely let people get off and in in the ports. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mek said:

There really isn't any other way I can think of that will guarantee a healthy ship that would safely let people get off and in in the ports. 

Right, then we only need to worry about a plain ole noro outbreak.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Right, then we only need to worry about a plain ole noro outbreak.

Agree that can and is occasionally a problem, but it generally doesn't kill people. In all of my years of cruising, I have never been on a Noro cruise or been sick. 

I think we'll see that once a vaccine is available that people will need to prove they are immune before they will be allowed to cruise.  Not so much because the cruiselines will push that, but more that other countries will, just like for some other vaccines/countries.  The other option will be a treatment that works well and quickly.  What amazes me however is the posts I've seen on a few fb pages by people who think the vaccine is either a conspiracy to "track people" or will be dangerous because it's being pushed through.  So, conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers will have major problems with the idea.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BND said:

So, conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers will have major problems with the idea.  

Easy solution... they don't get to cruise. My only worry is with the small group of people who have genuine medical reasons they can't take vaccines (which is a much smaller population than those claiming to have medical exemptions.) But unfortunately, that may be the breaks. This may end up like travel to certain tropical countries... no shots, no travel. 

• Like 2

We had a November 2020 Caribbean cruise on one of the Big Girls booked. However, after much thought, i canceled it today.  We have cruised for years and been to many ports.  We go for the ship anyhow.  My biggest concern is being stuck on the ship for an indefinite amount of time if the COVID-19 breaks our again. I can not imagine being stuck on a ship and quarantined in a cabin for weeks like many have experienced. After a (normal) cruise ends, I am ready to go home again. !!!  We will cruise again, but it will be next year !!!

Edited by jcg4550
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

I think we'll see that once a vaccine is available that people will need to prove they are immune before they will be allowed to cruise.  Not so much because the cruiselines will push that, but more that other countries will, just like for some other vaccines/countries.  The other option will be a treatment that works well and quickly.  What amazes me however is the posts I've seen on a few fb pages by people who think the vaccine is either a conspiracy to "track people" or will be dangerous because it's being pushed through.  So, conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers will have major problems with the idea.  

I believe in vaccines. My children and I both have the recommended vaccines and get the fly shot. However, there are several instances of dangerous side effects being reported once a drug becomes widely used. A vaccine is a drug. A quick vaccine which Has not had time to follow recipients for a few years to see possible adverse reactions makes me nervous. Especially when I am at low risk for complications if I do get the virus.

56 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

I believe in vaccines. My children and I both have the recommended vaccines and get the fly shot. However, there are several instances of dangerous side effects being reported once a drug becomes widely used. A vaccine is a drug. A quick vaccine which Has not had time to follow recipients for a few years to see possible adverse reactions makes me nervous. Especially when I am at low risk for complications if I do get the virus.

What vaccines and what "dangerous" side effects are you referring to?  This vaccine will be no quicker than others have been.  It still has to pass certain requirements in order to be released for public use.  What do you know about the corona vaccine that is being developed and tested?   It's not a drug.  But, it is your choice.  My post was more about the fact that this could become a requirement.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2