What are the chances my 5/31 Encore out of NYC will be cancelled?

minorad

At this point, I just want them to cancel our trip as I would like a refund and not FCC.  We are scheduled to sail on 5/31 out of NYC.  There is no way I am coming anywhere near NYC for a long time and at this point would like to not even cruise this year.  

Like everyone else, we are disappointed as we were very much looking forward to this family vacation.  We would like to maybe still travel somewhere (safe) this summer which is why we are hoping for a refund.

Thoughts??

Cancelled before mid-May? 0%

Cancelled after mid-May? 99%

New York City hasn't started to bend the curve yet. Other parts of the country are likely to experience what New York City is going through in the coming weeks. I will be very surprised to see major cruise lines operating by late May. 

51 minutes ago, SAPMAN said:

my GUESS;  Most other than Alaska will start up in early June.  If you plan future cruises, best to wait and if NCL cancels, they give you 125% Future Cruise Credits for next cruise.

You mean June 2021, right?  

Cannot even imagine boarding a ship before a vaccine is available, unlikely until at least Jan/Feb 2021.  I agree to "wait it out" though.  125% FCC is going  to give you a good chance at a nice upgrade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, All-ready2cruise said:

You mean June 2021, right?  

Cannot even imagine boarding a ship before a vaccine is available, unlikely until at least Jan/Feb 2021.  I agree to "wait it out" though.  125% FCC is going  to give you a good chance at a nice upgrade. 

As long as the cruise lines can last till they start back up  if not they go bk.  And you fcc is useless.   No way they can last till 2021.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Well that makes no sense as it does matter.  Cruises will be docked for months. And the cruise lines can’t withstand so BK does matter  to everyone with FCC and refunds coming.   

2 hours ago, minorad said:

At this point, I just want them to cancel our trip as I would like a refund and not FCC.  We are scheduled to sail on 5/31 out of NYC.  There is no way I am coming anywhere near NYC for a long time and at this point would like to not even cruise this year.  

Like everyone else, we are disappointed as we were very much looking forward to this family vacation.  We would like to maybe still travel somewhere (safe) this summer which is why we are hoping for a refund.

Thoughts??

Much as I would love for you to be able to take your cruise as planned, I just don't think things will be up and running by then.  

We live in New York and I canceled my Encore August cruise to Bermuda on Tuesday since my final payment would have been April 11. I figure if they start sailing Ill just rebook. 

My dd told me she thinks it will be “the summer that never was”. 

Hoping she is wrong but Im starting to even now question my September Disney trip. 

I don’t think cruise lines will be operating out of New York the end of May.  I think it will be too soon.  But it is 8 weeks away.  Who knows.  Predictions are the US will hit its peak mid-April.   I think we will be cruising just in time for hurricane season.

8 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

I don’t think cruise lines will be operating out of New York the end of May.  I think it will be too soon.  But it is 8 weeks away.  Who knows.  Predictions are the US will hit its peak mid-April.   I think we will be cruising just in time for hurricane season.

I believe the peak for the virus varies from region to region and is not applicable to the entire U.S.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, js said:

We live in New York and I canceled my Encore August cruise to Bermuda on Tuesday since my final payment would have been April 11. I figure if they start sailing Ill just rebook. 

My dd told me she thinks it will be “the summer that never was”. 

Hoping she is wrong but Im starting to even now question my September Disney trip. 

Yeah, I hear you... I'm questioning my December cruise.  It's just so unpredictable.  Good luck, hope all goes well for you and yours. 

10 hours ago, minorad said:

Thoughts??

There’s 100% chance your May cruise will be canceled but good luck with getting a refund!!!

I submitted form on 3/23/2020 requesting a refund in lieu of FCC for my canceled 4/05/2020 cruise.  Today I received email from NCL for 125% FCC also indicating FCC will be issued on travel protection purchased from NCL.  In addition I am still trying to get reimbursed for beverage/dining/ prepaid service charges & shore excursions I requested 3/9/2020 which I was told would take 7-10 days...still waiting!!!  NCL did say it will take at least 90 days for cabin fare refund but I’m thinking about disputing charges with my credit card company to get back payments for services I did not receive.

Just because IF the peak of the virus happens in late April does not mean cruising is going to resume anytime soon.  Lets say best case scenario and cases go way down by early July.   If cruising resumes all it would take would be one outbreak again on cruise ships to start quarantines all over again which could set cruising back further.  The hot beds of the outbreak are the biggest ports in the USA:  Miami, NYC, Florida, Seattle, etc.

Again we cant see the future but just because we get over the hump with peak cases does not mean cruising is going to resume.  We are well over 200k cases in the USA.  That could go as high as a million or 2.  But lets say cases go down to 20k in the USA (which would be fantastic).  That is still more cases than when cruising was cancelled altogether.  

Many predicted that this was not going to spread so much and be like SARS. They were wrong.  We also could have the peak in late summer and this continues to spread.  Its too early to tell but no way cruising resumes anytime soon.  I am shocked at the constant threads saying if they think cruising will resume in May, June, July etc?  Not gonna happen.

Our resources are almost complete out and in the next several months is going to be challenging.  Sure!  Cruising resumes in July and an outbreak happens.  Sorry Charlie.  We have no hospitals or equipment to treat anyone.  So just stay at sea and planes can drop cans of Spam.  That would be the stupidest thing to do.  We just brought the last of stranded passengers, sick passengers, and dead passengers back yesterday.  

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Just because IF the peak of the virus happens in late April does not mean cruising is going to resume anytime soon.  Lets say best case scenario and cases go way down by early July.   If cruising resumes all it would take would be one outbreak again on cruise ships to start quarantines all over again which could set cruising back further.  The hot beds of the outbreak are the biggest ports in the USA:  Miami, NYC, Florida, Seattle, etc.

Again we cant see the future but just because we get over the hump with peak cases does not mean cruising is going to resume.  We are well over 200k cases in the USA.  That could go as high as a million or 2.  But lets say cases go down to 20k in the USA (which would be fantastic).  That is still more cases than when cruising was cancelled altogether.  

Many predicted that this was not going to spread so much and be like SARS. They were wrong.  We also could have the peak in late summer and this continues to spread.  Its too early to tell but no way cruising resumes anytime soon.  I am shocked at the constant threads saying if they think cruising will resume in May, June, July etc?  Not gonna happen.

This post seems like a whole lot of logic and common sense.  You may want to copy it since most likely it will apply to more posts.

Until everyone has had a vaccine, or everyone has had the virus and recovered, the virus will still be out there and be just as contagious.  I don't think we will see this being over for a long, long time, at least not enough to being close quarters social again.  Cruises are just not going to happen until the world has an all clear.  My opinion.  

The close quarters of a cruise ship will not be a problem for those who have had the virus and recovered. Antibody testing will likely be widely available long before a vaccine is developed and widely available. I can envision a time when cruises will be offered to this safe cadre. Since this will predominantly consist of a younger demographic than the current profile, itineraries will likely be shorter duration and better priced to attract a younger cohort aching for diversion and provide much needed revenue to the lines.

For the rest of us we will just have to wait.