Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
hattack

Higher Activity Season Predicted

for those posters concerned about their  upcoming Caribbean Cruises during traditional Hurricane Season have you factored in how  this Public Health Crisis  will play into the equation ???

because at this time no one really knows what is going to happen with Public Health Pandemic Crisis  response less alone the economy and with Christmas coming up, I would suspect that incremental vacation funds will be held back and cruise line revenue management models will reflect a 1st quarter 2021 planning rebound model 

the National Weather Service 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Weather Forecasters are expecting strong overlap with the current Pandemic 

perhaps one might consider the OBC funds you were looking forward to use, you might consider a matching donation to the local food bank or non profit  or patronizing a favorite small business that you patronize or your local hospital or provide a small scholarship stipend to help a nursing student in financial need 

IMHO cruising during 2020 does not seem as important that cannot be delayed until 2021 to enjoy ..

Just heard on tv that this hurricane season will be VERY active - predicting at least 16 named hurricanes, with some making landfall.  Not great news.    We will not cruise again until January 2021 - seems so far away, yet with all going on around us I can't think of doing a cruise this year.   We have been ordering to go/curbside meals from our local restaurants - especially the mom/pop ones in our area- and delivering the food to our local police/fire depts. and our local urgent care center.  Keep safe, hattack- I know NOLA is going through a lot right now, as is NY where we live. 

But their track record on predicting whether a hurricane season will be busy or not has been terrible historically. I wouldn't really put any faith in it.

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

But their track record on predicting whether a hurricane season will be busy or not has been terrible historically. I wouldn't really put any faith in it.

I'm just gonna put my faith in the year 2020. It hasn't disappointed in the "WTH?" category yet. Could mean "WTH" good or bad. Who knows? It's 2020!

They always revise their prediction half way into the season... "Cheating" in my book!

By the way... remember that although the season traditionally starts June 1 we almost always see some tropical activity before that date.

All we can do in Florida is make sure the generator runs and we have fuel for several days and be prepared to put up the shutters. Been here 63 years and been through some nasty weather. Summer in Florida without a/c is no fun. My generator won't pull a/c but will run my fridge and a couple of cheap box fans if needed!

Good thoughts @fla gang ...  I have been mindful also of the issues of evacuation and shelters.  An active season means more of this... and packing people in is a problem! 

Seems like every year I get the opportunity to do some last minute carb rebuilds for people that just let the old generator sit since last hurricane season. most are an easy fix. Please remember everyone to run your generator at least once a month for about 15 minutes and then turn off the fuel shutoff valve and just let the engine run until it shuts off. When you get ready to crank it next time just open the fuel valve and flip the choke lever on until the engine starts, then turn the choke off. They steps will save you a lot of last minute frustration !