Refunds grinding to a halt?

On 4/3/2020 at 7:57 PM, justKirbo said:

On 3/16 my TA canceled a our Liberty cruise scheduled for next year in April (actually, a year from tomorrow 😞 ). We had two rooms reserved and had had the reservation for a year (we made it while on the same cruise last year). The credit hit our RC Visa on 3/23 and I called the credit card company and had them issue me a check, which I cashed the second it arrived by USPS. It was for two rooms, four passengers, $1000 total.

I'm wondering if future cruises not yet at their final payment date are getting refunded quicker.

I did email our TA to tell him it'd gone through, he asked us to do that, and he said he was happy for us as they are being told that refunds will take 30-90 days depending on the cruise line.

I hope everyone that opted for a refund gets them soon.

Lucky you.  I cancelled b2b cruises for Feb 2021 on 3/12 &3/15.  First was told would be 3-5 business days.  Second time I called, it would be 7 business day.  Third time I called said it would be 30 days, but not business days.  Will see what happens

when that time comes.  Fingers crossed.  (because we're 70 & 75, pretty much resigned that next year a cruise most

likely wouldn't happen for us. )  Who knows.   Not my priority right now.

I cancelled a refundable deposit Nov 2020 cruise on March 11.  Saw this morning that the credits were posted to credit card yesterday, so took about 3 1/2 weeks. Longer than originally told of course, but at least they are processing the refunds. 

• Like 2

I cancelled a November 5 cruise on March 19.  Called 2 weeks later because I hadn't received my deposit.  Was told it would be 30 days.  I'll be calling back today and verifying that it's 30 days from the date I cancelled, and has nothing to do with the sailing date. 

Hope thats not correct. I cancelled a B2B for Oct 2020 last week because both me and my wife lost our jobs. Waiting on $10000 and certainly cant wait until Nov-Dec to get our money back. We need to survive now!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 7:21 AM, Garyjames220 said:

So if someone cancels a cruise for next year it will take over a year to refund then 

doubt it 

I doubt it too but you can't squeeze blood from a stone so adventurally it may come down to that. Anyone who takes an FCC at this point when they have the option to get cash better not come to this board to complain when they can't use them. The flames will be flying and it will be like the burning of Rome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I doubt it too but you can't squeeze blood from a stone so adventurally it may come down to that. Anyone who takes an FCC at this point when they have the option to get cash better not come to this board to complain when they can't use them. The flames will be flying and it will be like the burning of Rome.

You should save this post so that you can copy of paste it when needed in the future😇

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

What makes u think they won’t be able to use them

16 hours ago, eric2011 said:

Hope that's not correct. I cancelled a B2B for Oct 2020 last week because both me and my wife lost our jobs. Waiting on $10000 and certainly can't wait until Nov-Dec to get our money back. We need to survive now!

I'm sorry you both lost your jobs. It's bad enough that I lost my job. DW works for a hospital so her job is secure.

Best Wishes

3 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

What makes u think they won’t be able to use them

I'm just reading the writing on the wall. The amount of time it's taking for a refund is very telling.  How long will it take for cruising to start up again? How many itineraries will they be able to sail once it begins? Will they extend the expiration dates if this goes on longer than expected? Will the 70+ passengers who have an FCC be able to sail?  Will they be forced to file chapter 11?  FCC's are not a sound investment in this climate. I say investment because if you have a choice between cash and FCC and you take the FCC then it's an investment. I don't count receiving an FCC for booking a NRD or a suite that comes with NRD.

• Like 1

Posted my response below on another thread I started. Only fair to post it here also.

OK!!! I got my money back. I got an email today from Amex notifying me of the credits.Thank you Royal! I should not of questioned the delay as we have loved cruising with you since giving up on NCL. I like to give credit where it is due. Royal made my day today!

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, coaster said:

Posted my response below on another thread I started. Only fair to post it here.

OK!!! I got my money back. I got an email today from Amex notifying me of the credits.Thank you Royal! I should not of questioned the delay as we have loved cruising with you since giving up on NCL. I like to give credit where it is due. Royal made my day today!

How long did it take for the credit to arrive. Our cruise was cancelled on March 15th right before we would have taken it. we were doing a B2B

Just now, Desert Cruizers said:

How long did it take for the credit to arrive. Our cruise was cancelled on March 15th right before we would have taken it. we were doing a B2B

Cancelled March 18th, but I cancelled before Royal did.

6 minutes ago, coaster said:

Cancelled March 18th, but I cancelled before Royal did.

I am right at 3 weeks. We were coming off the first week and due to come into San Juan when we learned that evening so the 14th that it was cancelled. We assumed we were returning back to SJ but they closed their port so the Freedom diverted to Miami. I have a credit coming also from United Airlines since the return out of MIA was less. $355 suppose to show up on CC, so have been checking on my Amex, and American Citi Card plus excursions from the 2nd week. 

I cancelled one cruise March 9th and a second one on March 10th...both booked thru Big Box TA.

I received the port and taxes from March 9th on Monday. I received 97.00 of the 288.00 for the cruise I cancelled on March 10th on Monday as well. I have not seen one penny of an FCC....................

Not sure what the thinking is but if I had my FCC's I would be booking cruises in the future. I won't book anything until I am fully refunded.

Just like every other business, they are NOT taking IN any money....how are they going to PAY OUT funds?  If you stop getting paid, you might be able to pay your regular bills for a couple months, if you're a saver.....business operates pretty much the same, only "saving" isn't what business does...they "reinvest", so there are few piles of cash sitting around....they DEPEND on PAYMENTS in order to make their "paid-outs"......

I did a price adjustment on 3/13 and received the refund on 4/6 (side note: I will never pay off a cruise early again!). When I called at the two week mark the rep said she could see it pending, but the system was backlogged due to the amount of refunds going out. So took 3 weeks to receive.

Hi all,

Just want to say I was not expecting a refund anytime soon.  Cancelled Feb 2021, b2b cruises March 15th.

Been watching for the refund, and yesterday it appeared.  Was very happy to say the least.  It was a refundable

deposit of $1,000 total so was extremely grateful they came through.  Especially as we're in our 70's and who knows

if will be able to cruise again.  Loved all our cruises and will be sad if we won't experience one again, but just

seeing and kissing our family, kids, grandkids, my 91 year old mother currently in lockdown, siblings, friends, etc will

be the first thing on my agenda.  Stay safe and healthy everyone.

I'm waiting on the refund of our canceled June 2020 Alaska cruise that we canceled the day day it was officially announced it was cancelled.

We also cancelled a cruise for July under the cruise with confidence.  That one we should be getting a $100 FCC credit a person since that was all we paid

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Just like every other business, they are NOT taking IN any money....how are they going to PAY OUT funds?  If you stop getting paid, you might be able to pay your regular bills for a couple months, if you're a saver.....business operates pretty much the same, only "saving" isn't what business does...they "reinvest", so there are few piles of cash sitting around....they DEPEND on PAYMENTS in order to make their "paid-outs"......

This is true, however you missed the part where Royal's normal outgoings are also reduced.

I pay for a Drink package. Royal now don't need to buy the drinks. 

The supplies they normally need are no longer required. They are using less fuel, and they're definitely not paying port fees.

I'm certainly not suggesting they have stacks of money lying around, but money paid for things like shore excursions, drinks packages etc should be able to be refunded as it normally is. Cruise fares are a different story.

On 4/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, eric2011 said:

Hope thats not correct. I cancelled a B2B for Oct 2020 last week because both me and my wife lost our jobs. Waiting on $10000 and certainly cant wait until Nov-Dec to get our money back. We need to survive now!

Sorry to hear that.  Best wishes

Our next cruise isn’t until early October, so I haven’t done anything about cancelling it yet. Far too many possibilities as to what might happen between now and October to rush into cancelling the cruise right now. 🛳  We are optimistically hoping that by the time October gets here, we’ll be back to sailing again. 

However, I did cancel a few cruise planner purchases that I had paid for out of pocket. These were purchases that I had been thinking about cancelling even before the coronavirus struck. I cancelled on March 27. My refunds showed up in my credit card account on April 1. 😀