Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bigrednole

To Cancel or Not?

Recommended Posts

 

3 minutes ago, Willwils said:

Well we have a 7/4/20 Alaska cruise scheduled from Seattle on Ruby Princess. That ship has had big problems w/Corona virus in Australia, with many sick crew & died passengers after disembarking. Therefore we are afraid of continuing with that cruise which we have looked forward to for a long time. But, Princess only suspended thru 6/30/20. However, so far only paid small  deposit. Travel agent wants final full payment by 4/25/20(Princess shows 5/4/20). If we cancel before any possible  Princess suspension, we owe travel agent $100 fee & don't get any future cruise benefits as we see it. ANY ADVICE?

 Princess has cancelled all Alaska cruise this season.  You should be getting a email soon.  We got our email from Holland America yesterday.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, beadercat said:

 

 Princess has cancelled all Alaska cruise this season.  You should be getting a email soon.  We got our email from Holland America yesterday.  

Our TA got the information from Princess yesterday so at this point you can wait and see if offered the 125% or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ima*traveler said:

Leaveitallbehind:

I'm not looking forward to negotiating a rebooking with my TA. I think she became tired of having my business when I bugged her to rebook my current booked cruise twice when there were price breaks this past winter. As you're an experienced cruiser, can you recommend a good on-line TA? Thanks.

 

First of all, CC rules prevent recommending specific TA's on these boards.  More importantly, if you still have an active booking with a TA and wish to have it rebooked to another cruise or sailing date, that TA would have to facilitate the new booking.  You would not be able to have another TA access that booking and rebook it for you.  If you want to use a new TA you would have to cancel the current booking and then have the new TA book an entirely new booking for you on the cruise you are interested in.  Just be sure you are aware of any penalties or fees that may be associated with canceling the current booking first.

 

Also, a good TA should never hesitate or mind securing a lower price for you on an existing booking should one become available.  While a reduced fare means a reduced commission, it is still good service to do so as it shows they are looking out for you as a client.  It also would be a reason I would keep my business with them for future bookings, which IMO should be far more important to them.

 

Hope it works out for you.

 

 

 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The optimism expressed here is encouraging. My wife and I long ago booked a cruise for December 2020 but decided to pay the cost to cancel and secure the remainder of our fairly substantial deposit. Our concern was not whether the cruise would proceed, but rather whether the company would remain solvent. We simply did not want to become an unsecured creditor if there is no bailout and the cruiseline is forced into bankruptcy. That would seem to be a drastic outcome, but these are uncertain times. 

Edited by NJ Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked a Celebrity cruise to Panama to sail mid-November, when we were on board last year.  I think that is still a good possibility but am wondering if I could get any better benefits either sticking to this booking or changing to another one as we are extremely flexible (retired).  Since we did a future cruise while on board, we did not have a travel agent back then so I suppose we just need to keep checking their web site to see what comes up?  This is only going to be the third cruise we have ever taken so a bit green at getting the best deals ha ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How old are you?  Are you HEALTHY?  If you're in a younger group, and healthy.....go for it.  If you're older and have pre-existing conditions, then I'd give it a pass.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know if it’s really relevant, but don’t forget it is nearly impossible to get travel insurance that covers Covid 19 at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess cancelled our September Alaska cruisetour last week, so we now have flights from the UK, internal flights and return flights to the UK we can't use, and will have to likely rebook or get travel credits unless the flights are cancelled.  We'll get a refund of the deposit on the cruise and will consider if we want to try rebooking for next year. Disappointed doesn't even cover it but we understand these are exceptional circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CT-Edin said:

Princess cancelled our September Alaska cruisetour last week, so we now have flights from the UK, internal flights and return flights to the UK we can't use, and will have to likely rebook or get travel credits unless the flights are cancelled.  We'll get a refund of the deposit on the cruise and will consider if we want to try rebooking for next year. Disappointed doesn't even cover it but we understand these are exceptional circumstances.

Just for clarity, the Princess Alaska cruise and cruise tour cancellations was not related directly to Covid19, but was a business decision based on what would have been a shortened season beginning in July and a determination that because of their strong business ties to the cruise tour rail, bus, lodge, and tours associated with their cruises, it would not be viable to operate this year. 

 

Regarding the airlines, if you have booked the flights through Princess you will not have any $ risk as they would not be paid for until final payment for the cruise and have no deposit associated with the flight bookings.  If you booked directly, you would have to deal directly with the airlines on a refund v a credit.  But in these circumstances the airlines are being much more flexible with their policies.

 

Hope it works out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, vacationersx2 said:

We have a few cruises booked, one for September 12 on Celebrity.  Since we are both in our late 70’s, we do not want to take any chances with the Corona Virus.  We are hoping a cure will be available within the next 6 weeks.  (Hope springs eternal!). Otherwise, we will have to rebook it for next September when, hopefully, a cure or vaccine will be available.  We will be rebooking the other cruises, too, if no vaccine/cure has been found before the final payment is due.

The latest reports are that there will not likely be a vaccine until October 2021 in the US .However,other countries such as Israel believe that they will have a vaccine by June 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am seriously considering cancelling the two cruises I currently have booked with RCI [the Empress, 8 nite JS, Nov 2020 (DR, San Juan, BVI & ST T) and the Inde, 5 nite Balcony, Feb 2021 (Grand Cayman & Coz)]; both were booked before the Novel Coronavirus was ever heard of and with a refundable deposit. I am currently setting tight, making the payments and watching what is going on and being said on-line at least until mid-July when I have to make my final decision about cancelling the Empress OTS cruise before FPD and maybe the Inde when its FPD arrives as well. I have seen some information about the new “temporary” restrictions that were put into effect before the cruise lines shut down and do not want a Future Cruise Credit that I may never be able to use, if these changes become permanent. I have also seen some chatter that the temporary changes may be turning permanent with some Asian based cruise lines and may possibly spread to other lines, which is not all that uncommon. I call it chatter because what I saw was presented more in the form of a question than a statement.  

 

Right now, regardless of when or if the ships start sailing again, and since I have not seen a response from RCI to the question I asked almost a month ago; I understand the situation to be, I will automatically be denied boarding under the “temporary” restrictions on those of us 70 and older, if they are still in effect, because I have been diagnosed with two of the “chronic” diseases over the last few years that the cruise line now requires a “fit to travel” letter from my doctor(s) saying I do not have on their list; namely diabetes (type 2) and cancer (prostate) for me. I have seen no guidance that addresses what will happen if the line cancels a cruise after its FPD in Oct or later, but it appears for now we will get a FCC for the amount of we paid for the canceled cruise up to 125% of the price paid depending on the line. I completed my cancer treatments this past November and all looks good so far with that, but I have been told it will take negative follow-up visits over the next 4 1/2 years before they can actually say I don’t have prostate cancer any longer. My diabetes is also being controlled, through my diet. But because I have been diagnosed with the two issues; I cannot get an acceptable ‘fit to travel’ letter now required by the cruise line, even though I have cruised with both issues in the past. I am also not sure if some of the cruise ports in the Caribbean, including the DR, will be cleared for cruise ship traffic by this Nov or Nov 2021 for that matter. This being the case, I want my money back not some promise of a cruise in the next year or two, maybe; if they are still in business then.

 

RCI D+

Carnival Platinum

Princess Platinum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks do need to carefully consider cancellation decisions and the associated timing.   The cruise lines are constantly updating their policies regarding cancellations and this can have a major impact on any decision.  Also keep in mind that cancelling after you have made a final payment may mean waiting for months to get a refund or future cruise credits.

 

But a big problem can be with air arrangements.  If you have already paid for your air it is unlikely you will be able to get a refund.  Instead you will likely get an airline voucher and these are often end dated 1 year from when you originally made the airline reservation, not when you cancelled!   In many cases the airlines are now waiving their usual change fees, but even that can be dependent on the airline and when you booked.

 

If you booked your air through the cruise line, it is likely they will not have ticketed your flights until about 45 days prior to your cruise.  This "ticketing" date is very important because if you cancel prior to ticketing you will get a refund of your entire air payment (that money would still be sitting with the cruise line) although this might take a few months.  But once ticketed it can get complicated with vouchers that come with varying restrictions.   For most, my advice is if you have any doubts and can cancel prior to your air being ticketed....this might be a very good move.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't looked at this in about a week. To give an update, we rebooked our cruise. We moved from Aug 2 to Nov 22. I didn't want to wait because the price difference was insane (50%). I have received the first of about 4 refunds from RCL. Between our initial booking, upgrade to balcony, and move to Thanksgiving, the cruise price is half. I was never concerned specifically with CV19, but more on the late cancellation of the cruise and prices being much higher when we could go. 

 

Since starting this thread, I have been killing it in the market with RCL and CCL stock. Bought low a month ago, sold high, bought 3x on their big dips, and riding a better than 100% return currently. I have a July 2021 cruise booked on CCL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opted to cancel my November 14th Empress OTS cruise and take the money for now last Friday (22nd). I still have the Inde booked for February 22 next year; I have until this November to decide if I will cancel it or not.

 

Rick

 

RCI D+

Carnival Platinum

Princess Platinum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad we did reschedule. Our Aug 2 cruise would be the first assuming no more delays. I would not want to be the first batch going out with no information on what we would be missing as far as entertainment, potential ports not being open, and a ton of other reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...