Delta extends E-credit deadline!

waterbug123

Good news if you have flights booked on Delta that you need to cancel or have already canceled and for which you received a credit voucher.... Delta is extending the deadline for flight credits for flights that are canceled by the passenger.  All applicable e-credits will automatically be extended for travel to be completed through May 31, 2022. 

The announcement is currently part of a covid19 banner announcement at the top of their home page, with a link to click for full details:

https://www.delta.com/

• Like 1

This is a MAJOR change from normal policy.  At least 7 senators have called for all flights effected by the pandemic to be refunded when canceled by either the airline or the passenger. I cancelled a flight 3 days ago and was told it could take up to 60 days for my refund.  I always find that strange since they charge my card within 30 seconds when I buy tickets.  I am hoping I eventually see my money, just like I hope to see the refund from RCCL that I have been promised.

Very nice. Is that a book by date or a fly by date?

The locator code is a six digits- alpha numeric.   This ticket number is MUCH longer.  I think at least 13 digits or so.

Edited by iancal

All airline tickets are 13 digits - no letters.

The first three digits of the ticket number are the code for the airline that issued the ticket. 

Delta is 006.

American is 001

United is 016

Some other carriers, just FYI:

British  125

Air France  057

KLM  074

Lufthansa  220

Cathay  160

Air Canada  014

Qantas  081

Singapore  618

SAS  117

• Like 2

21 hours ago, iancal said:

Very nice. Is that a book by date or a fly by date?

The locator code is a six digits- alpha numeric.   This ticket number is MUCH longer.  I think at least 13 digits or so.

That is the fly by date, May 31, 2022.  You must complete your travel by that date. 

Also, for anyone who believes this applies to them, be sure to read the full details on Delta's site.  It's a very generous policy for those who have just recently canceled flights or have flights they want to cancel in the short term.  But it is not a blanket policy for just any old ecredit.  Ex.  If you have an ecredit from a flight you canceled back in November when your brother canceled his wedding, this doesn't apply to your ticket.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Will look into flying Delta in future.

Wish AA also extends deadline of travel credit.  I was being naive for purchasing air tickets way too early.  No way I shall fly in a few months time.

In watching the changes as they roll around in regards to the big 3 airlines during COVID-19, I have seen them first adopted by Delta, with United usually following suit a couple to a few days later, and then American at some point after that. If American is not honoring what you want it to honor as of yet, hold off a bit longer, it is most likely coming down the pike.

• 3 weeks later...

Information current as of April 15, 2020

If you're traveling to / through / from:

All cities served by American

The change fee is waived if you:

• Booked an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket on or before May 31, 2020
  • Are scheduled to travel March 1 - September 30, 2020
  • Can travel on or before December 31, 2021

Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip.

Change your trip or cancel and rebook later

Here is Americans policy as of 15 Apr.  

Edited by AF-1

• 2 weeks later...

Delta has our $2400 deposit. This week, after a 3hr hold, I was told 'no problem. You don't qualify for a refund (tho our Alaskan cruise was cancelled), but have 2 years to book any flight.' 

Uh, thanks? We had insurance, but surprise - it doesn't cover Covid...
I called back the next night, with another 3hr hold, to talk to a supervisor. He pretty much said the same thing, but included that it would take ~30 days for them to look into it. The flights are at the end of July, ~10 weeks away. And we know the score - the flights will surely be cancelled, or changed by more than 90 minutes. So I'm sure we'll get our money back. He did say the money would be credited back to our card in 7 days. If ANY of this is true, or will still be true in the summer.
Still, that's a chunk of change for them to hold on to. But we had no success trying to access them, online. We're stuck. 
We're ALL stuck! The government really needs to get involved. But from the way things are going - that may make things worse!
Also... my thought is that Delta is the most solvent of US carriers. I doubt they will go out of business, and doubt they will hand over the deposit with ease. I was less positive about HAL. 
Hold times - I assumed it was because Delta slashed the CSR staff. Likely true, but the supervisor said it was because so many were sick. That may be true, but I suspect my answer was closer to the truth. They have no interest in hearing from any of us. None of our calls will be good news, for them.
He also said the airline has yet to issue their June flight schedule! So they have no idea of what they are booking - even if they can.

Edited by jj8
to edit

1 hour ago, jj8 said:

Delta has our $2400 deposit.

No....they don't have a "deposit".  Did you purchase your ticket direct from DL?  If so, that was a purchase, not putting down a deposit.

Be sure to be aware of the current changes that are in effect for flight cancellations.  Also, recognize that there is a difference between you cancelling your ticket and DL cancelling your flight.  Further, why are you assuming that your flight will be cancelled?  If to an international destination, that's almost assured.  But many domestic flights are still operating, as that was a condition of the federal assistance funds.

• Thanks 1

You are right - that was a purchase. HAL just has our deposit. I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond to that mistake. Sheesh!
I believe they will change or cancel those flights. And that they will do all they can to keep our money. But why do you assume they will still be flying on the same schedule? Eventually, that Federal money tap will dry up. 
And it's a shame - it's tough not to fly Delta when you live in Atlanta!

5 hours ago, jj8 said:

You are right - that was a purchase. HAL just has our deposit. I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond to that mistake. Sheesh!
I believe they will change or cancel those flights. And that they will do all they can to keep our money. But why do you assume they will still be flying on the same schedule? Eventually, that Federal money tap will dry up. 

It is only tough to fly from Atlanta on Delta if convenience and frequency are the major factors.

I lived in ATL for a number of years and at least 30% of the time I was able to avoid flying them... sometime inconvenient, but avoided regardless.

The response that FT made, is quite similar to the position airlines would take and as such, were you to provide less than accurate info to DL then they will provide less than accurate info to you. Alas, as I read your post you may not be satisfied with the potential outcome.

Also, did you purchase 'refundable' tickets or not? If the latter, then you know the answer, right? If not, no frette, you may or may not get a full refund or more likely an e-ticket to use at a later date if DL does not experience any changes in the flights you purchased. IMO

You can always turn to your third party travel insurance for reimbursement, I Am sure, under certain conditions to be sure.

bon voyage

Heck my second cruise this year cancelled yesterday.  This will be the second time in less than a month that I will have to contact Delta to get e-credit again.  I am getting pretty good at doing this now.

10 hours ago, jj8 said:

Delta has our $2400 deposit. This week, after a 3hr hold, I was told 'no problem. You don't qualify for a refund (tho our Alaskan cruise was cancelled), but have 2 years to book any flight.' 

Your cruise being canceled has no bearing on the airline ticket you bought from Delta.  Your contract with them was dependent on you doing anything in particular at your destination; it was simply to get you there.  For now, they can apparently still do that, and your ticket was a non-refundable fare, so from their perspective the cruise cancellation is completely irrelevant.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Heck my second cruise this year cancelled yesterday.  This will be the second time in less than a month that I will have to contact Delta to get e-credit again.  I am getting pretty good at doing this now.

Sounds like the making of a new business for you during this time....

😎

bon voyage

4 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Bo1953;  my best friend is my travel agent;  maybe I should join his firm.  At least I know about booking and cancelling airline trips.

I would like to think that I do, as well, then again I have had challenges in the past... LOL

I say go for it and have fun, too!

bon voyage

9 hours ago, jj8 said:

Because there are significant legal differences between a deposit and a purchase.  Unfortunately for many, the legal details of their travel purchases are now coming back to bite them, with many finding that previously held assumptions were just that - assumptions without legal basis in fact.  When you bought your ticket, you agreed to the airline's Contract of Carriage.  That's the legally binding agreement that you are bound by. 

9 hours ago, jj8 said:

I believe they will change or cancel those flights. And that they will do all they can to keep our money. But why do you assume they will still be flying on the same schedule?

Flight schedules have already been pared down.  You are making a huge assumption to believe that a flight that is currently on the schedule will somehow get cancelled before your travel date.  I highly suggest you develop a set of contingency plans for various situations depending on what DL does or doesn't do.

9 hours ago, jj8 said:

OMG....you mean that American, United, Southwest, Alaska, Frontier, and Spirit have stopped serving ATL.  As Bo says, you can fly from ATL without having to use DL.  Perhaps a bit more inconvenient, but not "tough" in any way.

If you want "tough", try living in a city where there is only one carrier at all. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...