What will it take for you to cruise in the 1st 4 months after NCL starts sailing again?

fstuff1

Modern planes use HEPA filters not HVAC.

Here is an article that explains this:

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/f1163430bba94512a583eb6d6b24aa56/cabin-air-quality.pdf

Per Q3 of the FAQ's:

Q3: What is the smallest particle size that the cabin air filter element can

remove?

Air filters can remove very small particles such as bacteria and viruses. Virtually all viruses and bacteria are removed; even the most difficult particles in the range of 0.1 to 0.3 micron are filtered out with an efficiency level of of 99.995%. Contrary to popular belief, very small particles below 0.1 micron are easily filtered out by the mechanism of diffusional interception.

So, in a nutshell, the air quality on a plane is better than on a ship - happy for anyone with more knowledge on this to assist?

4 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Thanks but I have seen that article and it doesn't answer my question but this CNN article is very informative:

"Cruise ships in principle look like a building, so their air conditioning systems are similar to those in buildings," says Qingyan Chen. "There's nothing wrong with that in normal circumstances, but with a viral outbreak that's a problem, because the filters they use don't block viruses." 
That means that the ventilation systems may have spread the virus from one cabin to the next, by recirculating contaminated air that contained tiny droplets expelled by sneezing or coughing passengers."

In other words cruise ships don't use HEPA filters as planes do.

10 minutes ago, Mercury said:

Thanks but I have seen that article and it doesn't answer my question but this CNN article is very informative:

"Cruise ships in principle look like a building, so their air conditioning systems are similar to those in buildings," says Qingyan Chen. "There's nothing wrong with that in normal circumstances, but with a viral outbreak that's a problem, because the filters they use don't block viruses." 
That means that the ventilation systems may have spread the virus from one cabin to the next, by recirculating contaminated air that contained tiny droplets expelled by sneezing or coughing passengers."

In other words cruise ships don't use HEPA filters as planes do.

Correct.....same as virtually every building in the United States.

Most hospitals, even in the OR, are not running HEPA.  

Edited by ray98

My answer would be, the same time I would go back to the Golden Corral. Which might be a long long time.  After seeing how the foreign countries treated the cruise ships, I may never leave to good old USA again.

3 minutes ago, 2+2 said:

My answer would be, the same time I would go back to the Golden Corral. Which might be a long long time.  After seeing how the foreign countries treated the cruise ships, I may never leave to good old USA again.

Seriously laughed out loud at the Golden Corral.  

On 4/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Finally, let's move the final payment date back to 60 days...that way I can get a better feel for what cruising is like immediately following this crisis from traveler reviews.  Post Covid-19 reviews are going to be make or break for not just NCL but all the lines.

Changing back to 60 final payment would certainly help as I'm very uncertain what the next 6 months will be like.  Another is pricing. A cruise I booked b/f CV19 has gone up by over $500 pp.  It seems NCL is trying to make up for lost revenue by jacking up prices and cutting back on perks.  That's certainly not the way to win me over.   I also need assurances that my safety and the ships' are germ free.

• Like 1

We are booked for mid March 2021 using FCC for a cruise this past March.  We have until Nov to cancel and if nothing looks close to being solved, we will do just that.    But I'm optimistic by that time, we'll at least be over the first wave and hope there is no second wave.  But who really knows?  We are leaving locally out of NYC (we are in NJ) so we can just drive to the port and park (or if things are mostly normal, do what we usually do and take a bus and taxi to the port).

I never thought I would say this because I normally cruise at least 4 times a year. However, to get to a cruise I have to fly. Right now, I have no desire to get on a plane. No flight-no cruise. I think airports and planes are the sources and then we become carriers leading to community spread on the ships.

That vaccine will be very important!

44 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I never thought I would say this because I normally cruise at least 4 times a year. However, to get to a cruise I have to fly. Right now, I have no desire to get on a plane. No flight-no cruise. I think airports and planes are the sources and then we become carriers leading to community spread on the ships.

That vaccine will be very important!

I actually feel the same way.  And I am staying in the USA.

For those cruisers who are wanting to be the first to hit the high seas again, maybe the cruise lines will have testing like this to make everyone feel more comfortable. Hopefully, there won't be any undetected carriers:

"According to a statement released by the airline, the first rapid Covid-19 blood tests took place on Wednesday at Dubai International Airport, with passengers on a flight to Tunisia all reportedly tested before departure. The tests were conducted by the Dubai Health Authority at the Group Check-in area of Terminal 3 and results were available within 10 minutes.

Emirates claims to be the world's first airline to conduct such tests."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/emirates-passengers-blood-test-covid-19/index.html

On 4/4/2020 at 4:25 PM, Waquoit said:

I was going to say incriminating photographs.

‘No point in destroying (the original oil painting) it,  we have the preliminary sketches!’

with thanks to Blackadder!

On 4/10/2020 at 3:18 PM, fstuff1 said:

recycled air, just like in an airplane.

my central air unit at home is for both a/c and heat. it has a filter at the base of the blower.

there are different types of filters from cheap stranded fiberglass ($.50/each) that filters just 40% of dust, to super expensive ones that filter allergens.

but i dont know any that filters viruses.

There are filters that trap viruses (hep-tactic?) and I believe the 787 aircraft has them, perhaps other later aircraft too.  But how effective they are in large scale environments I have no idea.  I would cruise if ports were open, the destination clear and the ship was sailing (Dec 2020 TA). However, SWMBO may have different ideas, plus her God given woman’s inalienable casting vote out of two.  I have set myself a decision date/time 1200hrs 15 JUL 2020.

Perhaps, as an aside, the following might be of interest.  My travel insurers have contacted me and said that my annual world wide policy will cover Coronavirus for the current period, into 2021, but subsequent cover will be excluded.  This has some serious  implications for the travel industry, because this malevolent little sh*t is going nowhere. It may ameliorate and not be such a menace, but until then it is a potential block on international travel.

What would it take? 

I want to be able to cruise again, and would be willing to sail in months 3 or 4 of the first 4 months:  I would not want to book in month 1 or 2 since I think there may be a bit of learning to do.

I'd be looking for an attractive price (because it needs to compete against land based vacations which will also be starting up at the same time), and maybe a slightly risk adverse itinerary.   By that I mean I'd be looking for a cruise with stops on private islands as opposed to stops in big cities.  Or stops in places I was convinced had done a better job of containing the virus:  a US Canadian cruise might appeal more to me than a Mexican Riviera or South American cruise.   

I am hoping late this fall I'll be back on a boat.

For me it's hard to know when to cruise again as I book based on itinerary and then price.

Not know when cruising will start up again makes booking difficult.

However of the 4 cruise I have booked this year (2020) I was able to sail on 2 before the lockout and the other 2 have been cancelled by the cruise line.

Stay well & safe travels.

- WYB