Royal is taking crew home

5 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22732-royal-caribbean-to-use-ships-to-get-crew-home.html

If Royal is taking the crew home by ship they know it's going to be awhile before things are back to normal.

Maybe it will start sinking in with the posters who've been saying ships will start sailing in late May or June.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ATC cruiser said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22732-royal-caribbean-to-use-ships-to-get-crew-home.html

If Royal is taking the crew home by ship they know it's going to be awhile before things are back to normal.

Pretty much makes sense.  That way they don't have to continue to house/feed them.

1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

I just tried to do a mock booking on Carnival for the month of May.  No cabins available. Tried for June and could booked.  Seems like Carnival is about to cancel at least through May.  

Carnival has no cruises on their site through May so yes, it appears they are cancelling at least through then.  Multiple reports on Carnival fb pages about this.

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Maybe it will start sinking in with the posters who've been saying ships will start sailing in late May or June.

I noticed that a lot of those posters are from Florida. The shirt didn't hit the fan yet there. It's about to get real...real fast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, suizas said:

wow.  tendering between ships.... this is really something!

While on the Pacific side of the Canal, the Zaandam transferred some of its passengers to Rotterdam by tendering. Before transiting the Canal and docking in Ft Lauderdale a few days ago.

This makes sense.  These ships are all in Australia and had to relocate anyhow, so taking crew home is the right thing.  Bali is only 3-4 days from where they are now and then up to the Philippines.  India crew chartering to fly home.

2 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

I'm the week before on Enchantment, I've got serious doubts that one's going to go. 

I have an 11/15 cruise booked on Oasis.  I will be shocked if that happens.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Maybe we here in Florida took it more serious than some think.  Though tourism is our #1 business...we have closed the state down to tourists here, hotels, rentals, theme parks, the Florida Keys to non-residents, etc.  There are even check points for licence tags from "certain states" on the highway.  Our beaches are closed as well.  Believe me...this has hurt our state and the families that depend on that tourist dollar to do so.  

I agree Florida is doing what it can to get things done. Bottom line is the virus does not do as well in hot moist climates. As Summer arrives things will slow down. but when it gets cold again a second round very well may start if a vaccine is not out before then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mek said:

I have an 11/15 cruise booked on Oasis.  I will be shocked if that happens.

We have a 12/13/2020 on Harmony of the Seas to replace the March 15th to 22nd that got cancelled by the line. But I was surprised when our Crown and Anchor status changed 2 weeks after the cruise was cancelled. Now  that was a surprise.

3 minutes ago, dagadget said:

I agree Florida is doing what it can to get things done. Bottom line is the virus does not do as well in hot moist climates. As Summer arrives things will slow down. but when it gets cold again a second round very well may start if a vaccine is not out before then.

I don't believe there is any scientific evidence of that yet, just wishful thinking by some people.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

I don't believe there is any scientific evidence of that yet, just wishful thinking by some people.  

So if climate has no bearing on it then why is New York in cold wet weather numbers of cases exploding far faster than Florida with it's hotter and dryer than normal weather this year? If memory serves New York was faster shutting down than Florida too. So time is going to tell and the weather studies will finally come into play as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

Heard a prominent Dr on the news say viruses thrive in cold weather and don't do well in the heat.  Don't know if this will have any effect on slowing the spread but sure as heck hope so.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dagadget said:

But I was surprised when our Crown and Anchor status changed 2 weeks after the cruise was cancelled.

Many reported that they got points credited for cancelled cruises - RCI may eventually fix that.

16 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Therese only two end games. 1. Vast majority of population gets it. 2. A vaccine or cure gets released. The longer economy stays halted, the more people (globally) will die of effects of poverty than Corona.

Since you’re the expert in unprecedented shutdowns, what do you expect a leader to be doing differently? Don’t forget to think about long term consequences of decision, there is no easy or obvious answer here. I think it’s time we start working together for a solution rather than blaming others.

Leaders are elected to lead!, not bend to political pressure when making decisions to keep people safe.

• Like 2