Royal is taking crew home

4 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Heard a prominent Dr on the news say viruses thrive in cold weather and don't do well in the heat.  Don't know if this will have any effect on slowing the spread but sure as heck hope so.  

Wishful thinking, Singapore just shut down again for 2 weeks, has a night time low of 78F, in the 90's every day.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Wishful thinking, Singapore just shut down again for 2 weeks, has a night time low of 78F, in the 90's every day.

What a ray of sunshine you are.  Forget about all the positive clinical trials for treatments going on.  Never mind.  We're all doomed.  No need to respond as you're going on my ignore list.  You take care.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lcantw3658 said:

Spring break is not one week. It's actually six weeks long. Yes the beaches and gatherings were allowed that first week but then it was shut down. Yes, it should have been done sooner but it was not allowed to continue throughout the spring break season. 

Actually even longer. Some states/regions have mid-Winter Break 3rd week Feb inc Presidents Day/Fed Holiday then others March and into second Week April

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

What a ray of sunshine you are.  Forget about all the positive clinical trials for treatments going on.  Never mind.  We're all doomed.  No need to respond as you're going on my ignore list.  You take care.

Said nothing of being doomed, just stated what happened, drew no such conclusions.  Glad we can keep lines of communication open, share vital info.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

There was no virus for "them" to bring to pristine Florida during the holidays. 

Had it been in NY over the Holidays, they hopefully should have been over the curve by now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So...getting back on topic and away from politics and the blame game...

The source article only mentions a couple of ships that are sailing their crew home...and they appear to me to be all Australia/Asia ships, some of which were scheduled to cross the Pacific and take up Alaska sailings.  In many discussions on this site, with Canadian ports closed until July (I think?) that greatly shortened the anticipated Alaskan cruise season, if not rendered it completely pointless.  From that perspective, they may have thrown the towel in on those cruises through the summer and it would make sense to get their crews home.

If this were to be taking place with all the ships currently anchored around the Bahamas, that would be a much bigger issue, indicating that the Caribbean summer cruise season had been completely written off as well.  Since I do not see those ships doing this (although there are some tenders in the water), I wouldn't rule out a mid-May or June return to cruising in this region...yet.  The tenders very well could be undergoing functional checks/transferring supplies versus requiring each ship to port for resupply.

All that said, I think a mid-May restart is overly optimistic.  I would anticipate mid-June or July for cruising restarts.  I believe a lot of crew comes from Asia and you might see some tendering of Asian crew members to a ship, then have the cruise lines charter a couple of aircraft from south Florida (or the Bahamas) to Asian hubs as they are able. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tcfc424 said:

So...getting back on topic and away from politics and the blame game...

I would anticipate mid-June or July for cruising restarts. 

Hopefully our local car dealers and retail stores are open by then.  Cruise ships?  Ha.  If they do they'll be half full at best, most people aren't going to risk being on a prison ship confined to their cabins.

Edited by bouhunter

58 minutes ago, molly361 said:

It seems that Carnival is no longer taking any reservations for the entire month of May  Will Royal be next?

Lacking my crystal ball...but I have a feeling there is another 30 suspension announcement coming soon....IMHO.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

Lacking my crystal ball...but I have a feeling there is another 30 suspension announcement coming soon....IMHO.  

I think you are right.  There goes another one, at least I don't have the $18 drink package on that one😇

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I think you are right.  There goes another one, at least I don't have the $18 drink package on that one😇

Yeah...gotta look for the silver lining.  😉  

I think my Harmony 5/31 cruise is doomed.  Still holding on to hope things will start to settle and we can keep our Alaska B2B in August.  

Weeks ago I was thrilled to upgrade my GS to an OS on NE/Canada Grandeur June cruise for no charge...then it cancelled (rerouted drastically and had options to cancel).  So much for that short lived thrill.  Was not about to fly to Baltimore to cruise down to Port Canaveral.  😮 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

I do not believe the virus will die off with summer weather as there are many cases of covid in countries with warm and humid climates now.

What we really need to focus on a vaccine that works and best treatments to cure those that do get the virus.  When that is done I will then get on a plane and cruise ship again.

Right now I have 5 future cruises booked for this year and 1 for next january.   One is b2b for baltic and norway fjords in August.  I so wish we can go but with final payment due early May I doubt we will make it.   Just letting them ride for now.  

Stay healthy everyone and someday soon we will all meet again!

• Like 1