How do you calculate BASE CRUISE FARE?

This is part of my receipt...guess I don’t know how much the Port fees actually are and if they are or are not included under fees, tho.

Traveler 1

Traveler 2

Total

Cruise Package

$2,967.00

$2,967.00

$5,934.00

Taxes and Fees

$410.00

$410.00

$820.00

Total Package Price

$3,377.00

$3,377.00

$6,754.00

Edited by wyobean

I want to know this as well.

I think the Refund is the total you paid to HAL: cruise, taxes, fees, port expenses, FlightEase, hotels, etc.

On the HAL website the amount you pay is shown as an amount per category and then the "taxes, fees and port expenses" as extra.  So is the first amount the "base fare" and the rest (the extra) not included?

12 minutes ago, wyobean said:

This is part of my receipt...guess I don’t know how much the Port fees actually are and if they are or are not included under fees, tho.

Traveler 1

Traveler 2

Total

Cruise Package

$2,967.00

$2,967.00

$5,934.00

Taxes and Fees

$410.00

$410.00

$820.00

Total Package Price

$3,377.00

$3,377.00

$6,754.00

Cruise Package included what?  Cruise and air, hotels, transfers?

4 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

In SilvertoGold's example, if they qualified for the 125% FCC, they should receive $3708.75 per person FCC, and they should receive $410 pp refunded to their credit card.

So, the FCC will come with a cash portion refunded (the taxes, etc)?  The fare part as FCC and nothing else?

1 minute ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

A new letter for world cruisers says that you get 50% of the base fare in FCC, plus a bonus of 25% of the 50 %

So if your base fare was $50K

OPtion 1

you get $25K in FCC plus a $6.25K bonus

OPtion 2

12.5 cash plus 12.5 FCC

Bonus of 50% of 25k is 12.5K

But are we sure of what "base fare" really means?

HAL refers to the base fare when they are applying what you paid to a future cruise.   If you have paid your full fare and the cruise is cancelled,  your taxes and port fees are refunded to your credit card and the base fare is credited to a future cruise.   They cannot predict what future cruise you may pick, so they cannot apply the taxes and port fees to an unknown cruise, so you get that part back.  The base fare is applied to a future cruise, with any percentage bonuses offered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

A new letter for world cruisers says that you get 50% of the base fare in FCC, plus a bonus of 25% of the 50 %

So if your base fare was $50K

OPtion 1

you get $25K in FCC plus a $6.25K bonus

OPtion 2

12.5 cash plus 12.5 FCC

I think this is a mistake.  It varies significantly from the letter we received onboard.  Plus in the new letter, the 50% only applies to option 1 so if the letter is accurate you would end up with 75% FCC (versus 125% in the original letter) versus 50% cash 50% FCC.  In that case why would anyone take option 1?

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

So, the FCC will come with a cash portion refunded (the taxes, etc)?  The fare part as FCC and nothing else?

Taxes and port fees are refundable items when a cruise is cancelled, so yes, they are refunded to the credit card used to pay for them.

2 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Taxes and port fees are refundable items when a cruise is cancelled, so yes, they are refunded to the credit card used to pay for them.

If the offer is:  100% refund plus 100% of base fare as FCC.  Cruise was cancelled by HAL.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I have a related doubt. Last year I paid $800 + taxes for a cruise that was recently canceled. I should receive $1000 in FCC. If my new cruise is $1000 + $340 (taxes) and the minimum deposit is $350 (which I have to pay by credit card). Can I then later apply (almost) all my FCC to pay the rest? I would use $990 of my FCC.

If I want to do that, I need them to consider my deposit ($350) as taxes, as I can't use my FCC for taxes.

10 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

If the offer is:  100% refund plus 100% of base fare as FCC.  Cruise was cancelled by HAL.

As I don't have a client with this particular offer, and have not seen it, I am unfamiliar with it. Also, as I don't know the exact wording or fine print of this particular offer, I can only make assumptions. If it is truly 100% refund of the original cruise, and 100% of base fare as FCC, in using the example someone posted above of $2967 cruise fare + $410 taxes/fees, then you would receive a credit card refund of $3377x2=$6754, and you would receive $2967x2=$5934 FCC. I doubt you would receive anything on the taxes and fees on portion 2, as these are refundable items that have been refunded to you, not cruise fare (kind of like pre-paid gratuities). Again, these are only assumptions as I don't have information on the particular offer you have referenced.

6 hours ago, marianoam said:

I have a related doubt. Last year I paid $800 + taxes for a cruise that was recently canceled. I should receive $1000 in FCC. If my new cruise is $1000 + $340 (taxes) and the minimum deposit is $350 (which I have to pay by credit card). Can I then later apply (almost) all my FCC to pay the rest? I would use $990 of my FCC.

If I want to do that, I need them to consider my deposit ($350) as taxes, as I can't use my FCC for taxes.

Again, I don't know the particulars of your offer, and there are a few different offers out there, I'm not sure what your FCC will be. In using your example, you could book your cruise for $1340 ($1000 + $340) and apply your $350 credit card deposit. When your FCC comes through to you, apply the $1000 to the $990 balance due. Once that is done, I would request a $10 refund of the over payment back to your credit card. In this example, your full $1000 FCC is used to pay for cruise fare, and you have used your credit card to pay for the $340 taxes. Also, I see you are in Argentina, and things may be handled differently there; I am in U.S.

Edited by terry&mike
added Argentina text

Regarding any overpayments using FCC and getting that portion of the overpayment back.  I called HAL yesterday, I have an FCC still to be posted of $2991.00.  The cruise that I am thinking of booking is about that same amount.  I was advised that the deposit is outside the FCC, I can booked now, pay the deposit and once FCC comes through apply it later to the cruise.  I will have about $400.00 left in FCC once I “paid” for the cruise using the FCC.  I asked about the $400.00 and was advised it is just to be used for base fares only, and I would “lose it” if I didn’t booked another cruise by the end of 2020 to cruise in 2021. 

3 hours ago, terry&mike said:

As I don't have a client with this particular offer, and have not seen it, I am unfamiliar with it. Also, as I don't know the exact wording or fine print of this particular offer, I can only make assumptions. If it is truly 100% refund of the original cruise, and 100% of base fare as FCC, in using the example someone posted above of $2967 cruise fare + $410 taxes/fees, then you would receive a credit card refund of $3377x2=$6754, and you would receive $2967x2=$5934 FCC. I doubt you would receive anything on the taxes and fees on portion 2, as these are refundable items that have been refunded to you, not cruise fare (kind of like pre-paid gratuities). Again, these are only assumptions as I don't have information on the particular offer you have referenced.

Thank you.  There were three cruises cancelled by HAL before departure.  This happened March 13 for March 15 departure. HAL noted because they cancelled so close to departure there would be 2 parts to the settlement.  The meaning of "base fare" was not explained, so that was my concern.  Appreciate your expert knowledge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Regarding any overpayments using FCC and getting that portion of the overpayment back.  I called HAL yesterday, I have an FCC still to be posted of $2991.00.  The cruise that I am thinking of booking is about that same amount.  I was advised that the deposit is outside the FCC, I can booked now, pay the deposit and once FCC comes through apply it later to the cruise.  I will have about $400.00 left in FCC once I “paid” for the cruise using the FCC.  I asked about the $400.00 and was advised it is just to be used for base fares only, and I would “lose it” if I didn’t booked another cruise by the end of 2020 to cruise in 2021. 

This is good info: the FCC can't be used for the deposit on new cruise.

Questions: in this case could you use the bought on board FCD/FCC for the deposit?  If so, would you be able to get the FCC that comes with that FCD?

Messy, isn't this?

Edited by SilvertoGold

Again, I don't know the particulars of your offer, and there are a few different offers out there, I'm not sure what your FCC will be. In using your example, you could book your cruise for $1340 ($1000 + $340) and apply your $350 credit card deposit. When your FCC comes through to you, apply the $1000 to the $990 balance due. Once that is done, I would request a $10 refund of the over payment back to your credit card. In this example, your full $1000 FCC is used to pay for cruise fare, and you have used your credit card to pay for the $340 taxes. Also, I see you are in Argentina, and things may be handled differently there; I am in U.S.

Thanks! Super clear.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

This is good info: the FCC can't be used for the deposit on new cruise.

Questions: in this case could you use the bought on board FCD/FCC for the deposit?  If so, would you be able to get the FCC that comes with that FCD?

Messy, isn't this?

Interesting. Yes, it is messy. These are untested waters and will require a bit of muddling around. 

I would think you could use an FCD bought on board for the deposit. Beyond that, I'm not sure how it would suss out.... I imagine some of this is still to be determined.

As an agent, I am getting clarification on things from my Holland BDM (area rep) in writing through emails. As I know that things are changing often, and different programs are open to interpretation based on who is looking at them, I will be keeping a very organized paper trail.

The best advice I can give during this time is to document everything - make notes as to date, time and person you spoke to, what was said. Keep a thorough paper trail. Also, if you are on the phone with a rep, I suggest that after getting a response to your questions, that you summarize your perception of the information back to them, something like, "what I understand you are saying is that if XXXX, then XXXX". And when in doubt, always practice HUCA (hang up, call again). 

17 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I think this is a mistake.  It varies significantly from the letter we received onboard.  Plus in the new letter, the 50% only applies to option 1 so if the letter is accurate you would end up with 75% FCC (versus 125% in the original letter) versus 50% cash 50% FCC.  In that case why would anyone take option 1?

I noticed that Orlando Ashford's e-mail was significantly different from what we were told (in writing) onboard.  So, how could we find out which it is (I don't have much faith in just calling a random person who answers the phone at HAL)?

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

Interesting. Yes, it is messy. These are untested waters and will require a bit of muddling around. 

I would think you could use an FCD bought on board for the deposit. Beyond that, I'm not sure how it would suss out.... I imagine some of this is still to be determined.

As an agent, I am getting clarification on things from my Holland BDM (area rep) in writing through emails. As I know that things are changing often, and different programs are open to interpretation based on who is looking at them, I will be keeping a very organized paper trail.

The best advice I can give during this time is to document everything - make notes as to date, time and person you spoke to, what was said. Keep a thorough paper trail. Also, if you are on the phone with a rep, I suggest that after getting a response to your questions, that you summarize your perception of the information back to them, something like, "what I understand you are saying is that if XXXX, then XXXX". And when in doubt, always practice HUCA (hang up, call again). 

Thanks. You are giving all of us a lot of help and it is much appreciated.  Time will tell.  I don't expect the refund and FCC for a couple of months, so I won't be booking for quite a while, enough time for all this to shake out.  I would prefer HAL to be more informative, though, in the first place.

35 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks. You are giving all of us a lot of help and it is much appreciated.  Time will tell.  I don't expect the refund and FCC for a couple of months, so I won't be booking for quite a while, enough time for all this to shake out.  I would prefer HAL to be more informative, though, in the first place.

You are welcome. I feel like if we all try to help wherever we can, we have the best chance of getting through this.

I have had several clients rebook for same/similar itineraries in 2021, and put down the deposit. Once the FCC comes through, I'll post that. But I feel like everyone needs to move forward when it is comfortable for them. 

I understand that guests are frustrated with the time it is taking to process the refunds, FCC's, and the information being provided. All I can say, is that in talking to my connections inside the cruise lines, they are under a lot of pressure, busy beyond imagine, stressed, on the receiving end of many very unhappy phone calls, and working as fast as possible to get this right, all the while things keep changing in an issue they didn't create. 

You are welcome. I feel like if we all try to help wherever we can, we have the best chance of getting through this.

I have had several clients rebook for same/similar itineraries in 2021, and put down the deposit. Once the FCC comes through, I'll post that. But I feel like everyone needs to move forward when it is comfortable for them. 

I understand that guests are frustrated with the time it is taking to process the refunds, FCC's, and the information being provided. All I can say, is that in talking to my connections inside the cruise lines, they are under a lot of pressure, busy beyond imagine, stressed, on the receiving end of many very unhappy phone calls, and working as fast as possible to get this right, all the while things keep changing in an issue they didn't create. 

It must be rough for HAL in Seattle, but for you, too, as you are also on the receiving end of a lot you can't really deal with, yet.

I was wondering how the refunds, FCCs are handled.  For the cruise HAL cancelled, the TA at the agency we booked through asked us for a copy of the letter from HAL about what they were offering us.  She said they wanted it for our file at the agency.  So, HAL does all the refund and FCC work?  I note our credit card was billed by HAL for FlightEase and by the travel agency for the cruise and taxes.  Thanks!