Cruise Critic Community
The-Inside-Cabin

How do you calculate BASE CRUISE FARE?

48 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

It must be rough for HAL in Seattle, but for you, too, as you are also on the receiving end of a lot you can't really deal with, yet.

I was wondering how the refunds, FCCs are handled.  For the cruise HAL cancelled, the TA at the agency we booked through asked us for a copy of the letter from HAL about what they were offering us.  She said they wanted it for our file at the agency.  So, HAL does all the refund and FCC work?  I note our credit card was billed by HAL for FlightEase and by the travel agency for the cruise and taxes.  Thanks!

You are in a more unique situation, in that you paid your travel agency for the cruise and taxes, rather than the cruise line directly.

Generally speaking, in our industry, it is a red flag if a client is paying the travel agency for bookings, and then the travel agency is paying the travel provider. For example, any bookings that are processed by our agency, the charges on clients' credit cards are always from the travel provider directly, such as Holland America, Tauck Tours, etc, and never from our agency. Please do not misread this, as I am not saying that your travel agency did anything wrong, I am merely saying that in instances where I have seen problems arise in our industry, this has been a practice. Also, you are in Canada, so possibly things are different than in the U.S.

But yes, HAL does all the refund and FCC processing and moves it along. 

Just to answer your question! Base fare is just the price minus port taxes!

That is what our PCC said and what we received in FCC on our new cruise!

If this was already posted fine. I did not read all the results!

Denise 😊

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Just to answer your question! Base fare is just the price minus port taxes!

That is what our PCC said and what we received in FCC on our new cruise!

If this was already posted fine. I did not read all the results!

Denise 😊

Excellent to have multiple sources!   Mostly this is a problem with vocabulary:  "taxes, fees, port charges". Then, someone said the travel agent's commission is deducted.  Messy.  I think we've got it figured out now.

Congratulations on you refund and FCC.  Most of us are in the 2 months line-up.

3 hours ago, terry&mike said:

You are in a more unique situation, in that you paid your travel agency for the cruise and taxes, rather than the cruise line directly.

Generally speaking, in our industry, it is a red flag if a client is paying the travel agency for bookings, and then the travel agency is paying the travel provider. For example, any bookings that are processed by our agency, the charges on clients' credit cards are always from the travel provider directly, such as Holland America, Tauck Tours, etc, and never from our agency. Please do not misread this, as I am not saying that your travel agency did anything wrong, I am merely saying that in instances where I have seen problems arise in our industry, this has been a practice. Also, you are in Canada, so possibly things are different than in the U.S.

But yes, HAL does all the refund and FCC processing and moves it along. 

It was a resale of a cancellation by another customer.  I've used this agency for 15 years and it has always been a HAL charge unless the cruise is packaged with air, hotel, etc.

Thanks for all your help!

46 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Excellent to have multiple sources!   Mostly this is a problem with vocabulary:  "taxes, fees, port charges". Then, someone said the travel agent's commission is deducted.  Messy.  I think we've got it figured out now.

Congratulations on you refund and FCC.  Most of us are in the 2 months line-up.

👍 Thank you!! You will get it. Been with HAL a long time. Hope we all start cruising  sooner. Have a good evening too.

Denise😊

10 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

It was a resale of a cancellation by another customer.  I've used this agency for 15 years and it has always been a HAL charge unless the cruise is packaged with air, hotel, etc.

Thanks for all your help!

Oh good, I figured you had it worked out. 

It'll be a good day when we get all of this behind us, and get back to traveling the world again!

Cheers to you!