FWIW

molymoo

Just another example of why I am so impressed by Viking. Their crew members are one of their most valuable assets, and one of the important reasons why I sail with them. The interaction with such an amazing group of people contributes significantly to our enjoyment of each trip.

In addition, the confidence shown  by Mr. Hagen in the future of this venture provides me with some reassurance that payment of my soon due balance on a fall cruise will at the very least result in a future cruise voucher that will maintain it's value.

• Like 4

There was a recent post from the same source outlining the pay scheme on offer for P&O UK crew as well which has them in essence earning 70% of their wage for the month of April followed by a goodwill payment of 40% each month for the following two months thereafter.

In UK the government is paying companies 80% of staff salaries up to £2500 per person per month for three months. Surely Viking is receiving something similar from the government of whatever country they are registered in. This offer of theirs doesn't look that great to me. 

Edited by Nippy Sweetie

21 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

In UK the government is paying companies 80% of staff salaries up to £2500 per person per month for three months. Surely Viking is receiving something similar from the government of whatever country they are registered in. This offer of theirs doesn't look that great to me. 

Perhaps you are wondering what half of slave wages comes to? My guess is that anything helps.

22 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Viking isn't a UK company.

50 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Interestingly enough, the ships are registered in Norway and the deck/technical crew are actually employed by a Norwegian firm called Wilhelmsen Ship Management so their 100% salary is being paid by Wilhelmsen, not Viking.  That said, although somethings surely better than nothing I noticed as well that they're paying new hire crew but not until after the first 4 weeks so i read that as meaning although the new hires are being paid something (50% of their salary) its not until the first month has passed?  Maybe i misread it? 

12 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I know it's not a UK company! I just wondered about any recompense being made by whichever govt it's registered under. Whatever, I'm not thrilled at what the staff are being paid. 

Keep in mind that those who are still on the ships have their basic living expenses for room and board , along with free wifi, (and I assume health care) covered already. For those who are back at their homes, the cost of living is often a lot less than in the US or UK. There is a reason that their retention rate for crew is high. I don't imagine many people would work so hard and be away from home for so long if they did not view it as a significant financial benefit.

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 1