Soft Reopening Dates - Caribbean, Europe, Alaska

I am not sure that the Radiance and Ovation being on the cold list means no Alaska season.  Since it can not start until at least July 1st, they may just be waiting to see if it will open.   That still leave about 2.5 months before they would need to re-staff.  

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

I couldn't agree more, except would probably say November/December instead of September.

Just today I moved our August Oasis deposit to the same cruise in June, 2021. I am even skeptical for that one, especially if the second wave starts hitting this winter.

There was no way I was going to hand over 2 full suites worth of final payments in a few weeks without knowing 100% this virus is contained and there are successful therapies, especially with all the reports of later and later delayed refunds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

All those crazy cheap upgrades that are happening is just eye wash, not going to sail, just a way of getting a few my $$ from everyone.

Also check your confirmation from before  and now as to the what each passenger paid? Probably 1st passenger paid alot and 2nd passengers paid very little.........and now when they give you that FCC to use, makes it much harder covering the cost of the rebooked cruise for the second passenger, you will be adding money for that person to sail with you.

Actually there is a thread where a TA confirmed the most recent fcc, they are giving them out equally to each pax, but willing to hear it case by case if you need it another way.

Doesnt matter who paid how much.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

I am not sure that the Radiance and Ovation being on the cold list means no Alaska season.  Since it can not start until at least July 1st, they may just be waiting to see if it will open.   That still leave about 2.5 months before they would need to re-staff.  

For the time being Radiance, Ovation and other ships located in Oceania will be used to bring crews home to Indonesia and the Philipines amongst others. If a Alaska season will happen as of July of which I see chances below 50%  with which I am still optimistic probably. This will need to be decided by mid May latest to plan needed logistics etc.

What was mentioned here already is also my view, likely we will see Ships sailing in Europe, given there will be a cruise season this year there, before ships will resume to sail in North America, given they are ahead of the curve and the situation in the US is the worst globaly. (Before or behing China depending how we want to inerpret their figures).

Edited by LXA350

1 minute ago, LXA350 said:

For the time being Radiance, Ovation and other ships located in Oceania will be used to bring crews home to Indonesia and the Philipines amongst others. If a Alaska season will happen as of July of which I see chances below 50%  with which I am still optimistic probably. This will need to be decided by mid May latest to plan needed logistics etc.

It should not take longer that 3 weeks max to move the ships north.

4 hours ago, Kokomo91165 said:

In discussions with current officers and crews onboard various ships throughout the world, it looks like Royal will be doing “soft” opening dates - meaning cruising isn’t going to all resume on May 11th fleetwide. This has also highlighted by a recent article about Carnival, discussing “hot” and “cold” layups of various ships - meaning keeping some ships with full crew and keeping other ships with just the essentials. It will take 3-6 weeks to get “cold” layup ships (essential crew only) to get all crew back, 2-3 week quarantine of crew, and then provisioning. 

RCL is choosing specific ships to keep “hot” and “cold”:

Symphony, Anthem, Navigator, Mariner, Majesty, Explorer - keeping fully operational as possible. 

Oasis, Allure, Jewel, Brilliance, Voyager, Ovation, and Radiance - keeping essential people only 

The bet is Europe will be open before US cruising, but I remain skeptical about both to be honest. 

So if what they are saying is true and using the timelines presented you are looking at minimum 5 weeks to get a ship running.

Stay at home orders are until May right now. In the best case scenario that  Puts 1st or 2nd week of June as earliest a ship will sail.

The 4-6 weeks are accurate according to a CC member who has worked in the cruise line /shipping industry.

Getting a crew assembled will  be a bit of a challenge, being many have been sent home. Cruiselines aren't going to bring crew back until the ALL CLEAR is given.

Edited by beerman2

In discussions with current officers and crews onboard various ships throughout the world, it looks like Royal will be doing “soft” opening dates - meaning cruising isn’t going to all resume on May 11th fleetwide. This has also highlighted by a recent article about Carnival, discussing “hot” and “cold” layups of various ships - meaning keeping some ships with full crew and keeping other ships with just the essentials. It will take 3-6 weeks to get “cold” layup ships (essential crew only) to get all crew back, 2-3 week quarantine of crew, and then provisioning. 

Symphony, Anthem, Navigator, Mariner, Majesty, Explorer - keeping fully operational as possible. 

Oasis, Allure, Jewel, Brilliance, Voyager, Ovation, and Radiance - keeping essential people only 

The bet is Europe will be open before US cruising, but I remain skeptical about both to be honest. 

This is a joke, right??

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I checked out of curiosity.  $398 for 1st  passenger, $129 for 2nd, plus $85 port fees/taxes each.  I am fine with that being held up as a FCC, and don’t expect to find another cruise for a total of $701 (especially in that type of cabin).   It has given us a bit of pleasure and distraction, and we won’t be surprised or heartbroken or furious if the cruise does not happen.  For us,  it has been a positive experience in a sea of doom and gloom.  

Agree, well said. Over the last 33+ yrs planning/booking Cruise was always something look forward to when Life was busy or challenging. During Desert Storm waiting get my Royal Brochure. Getting home from Cruise with my kids on Sept 10 2001, happy we were home that day. From 2002-2011 didnt Cruise, Army kept me busy, also as single Parent of 3. Retired, last 8yrs making up for lost time. Have 50nites planned Oct/Nov/Dec, and another 40 next yr, still check my rates daily, scored over $3000 in reductions last 4 weeks. Canceled, changed, will deal with it. Except walks into Desert haven't left my Neighborhood since March 8th, that and the planning things look forward to takes mind off stuff...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

Whether or not you agree with the dates in the OP’s post I can an

absolutely see the rest of the list making sense.  When they resume cruising it will be slow and a few ships, opening market by market.   Having ships kept at ready and some sitting idle with no crew makes total sense. Nobody, not even Roysl knows the start up date for those first few ships. 

• Like 2

For those Alaska cruises out of Seattle there is doubt as to whether they will sail anytime this summer.  The Port of Seattle is closed to all cruise ships until further notice.  There is no published end date to this closure.  Canada is closed until July 1.  The Ovation Alaska sailings depart Seattle, as does the Celebrity Solstice.

• Like 1

Sometimes it’s nice to believe in the Easter Bunny. Right now I have a (non-cruise) vacation with my mom planned for June. Intellectually, I know it’s not happening. But with everything going on in her life and the world at large, thinking about that trip is one of the few good things she has. No way I’m going to cancel, and all our conversations assume we are going. And who knows, maybe miracles will happen. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

Only if you believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, would you believe that any cruises will start before September.  People will still be dying from COVID19 and there is no way that a cruise line would remotely consider cruising while people are still getting sick and even still dying from this virus.  Besides, after watching ships limp in with sick and dead passengers, cruising in the next few months is not top on my to do list.  Can anyone imagine being on a ship with sick people and not being able to get off.  I love cruising and have been on almost 50 with various lines but I am not dyin* to go on a cruise anytime soon.  Please excuse me, I have to go hide eggs.

Definitely not 'dying' to board MJ

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

absolutely see the rest of the list making sense.  When they resume cruising it will be slow and a few ships, opening market by market.   Having ships kept at ready and some sitting idle with no crew makes total sense. Nobody, not even Roysl knows the start up date for those first few ships. 

You really see MJ in the first wave?

Just now, John&LaLa said:

You really see MJ in the first wave?

I didn’t really look at the ships.  To me, that’s kind of like the dates.  It’s flexible. The concept is sound. 

Personally I would be surprised to see Majesty.  I’m not sure that she ever returns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That makes perfect sense.😀 The timeline is the only thing in question

There is a video out regarding a lot of crew members leaving Symphony. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm guessing James Van Fleet is the one that thinks Royal will be cruising in May. 😏

Is this the same James Van Fleet who said there would be an opening in the weather to get their ships into port to unload the old passengers and bring on the new ones, in Galveston, a few years ago?? How'd that work out??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cured said:

Just today I moved our August Oasis deposit to the same cruise in June, 2021. I am even skeptical for that one, especially if the second wave starts hitting this winter.

There was no way I was going to hand over 2 full suites worth of final payments in a few weeks without knowing 100% this virus is contained and there are successful therapies, especially with all the reports of later and later delayed refunds.

I have a November cruise booked on Oasis.  I'm not feeling very optimistic about that one either.  I'm not sure they will be up and running by then and also if they don't change the 70+ doctor's release, then it's a mute point anyhow.

Edited by mek

17 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Is this the same James Van Fleet who said there would be an opening in the weather to get their ships into port to unload the old passengers and bring on the new ones, in Galveston, a few years ago?? How'd that work out??

Exactly!

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Actually there is a thread where a TA confirmed the most recent fcc, they are giving them out equally to each pax, but willing to hear it case by case if you need it another way.

Doesnt matter who paid how much.

Case by Case..........Right how long you think they will go by that until they change their stance on that?