Cruise Critic Community
Kokomo91165

Soft Reopening Dates - Caribbean, Europe, Alaska

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

At least for the USCG, that is not what they were saying.

If I got that wrong, my apologies to all. 

8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

If I got that wrong, my apologies to all. 

The USCG said that ship's should apply to their flag state first, before calling the USCG, but did not say that if the flag state could not assist that the USCG would not, just that it was a pre-requisite for assistance.  They also said that cruise ships would need to have approved land transport and hospital accommodation prior to USCG assistance being rendered.

1 hour ago, cured said:

Wuhan is just now starting to reopen some stuff. And they had far stricter stay at home rules including welding people into their homes.

They started in November and by April they are starting to see enough progress to slowly open some things, so 5 months.

And check out how their neighbor Anhui province park looked on April 4 😃

Not real sure how things are going to go for them, but wishing them (and all of us) the best!

image.png.319b7db4e6c07edaff8bf11ea3b06b1c.png

"Images from the Huangshan mountain park in Anhui province on Saturday April 4 showed thousands of people crammed together, many wearing face masks, eager to experience the great outdoors after months of travel restrictions and strict lockdown measures.

Such was the rush to get into the popular tourist spot, that at 7.48 a.m., authorities took the unusual step of issuing a notice declaring that the park had reached its 20,000 person daily capacity, and would not be accepting any more visitors, according to state media Global Times.

2 hours ago, NancyIL said:

We got our first refund within a week to our credit card, so it shouldn't take two billing cycles.

Totally agree.  We got our AA refund within 10 business days of cancelling over the phone.

3 hours ago, gatour said:

Why?  The CEO of Bank of America say 72% of its work force is working from home.  The bank seems to be open.  And if you notice RCCL is more or less open with decisions being made etc.

I didn't say it would be a challenge, I said it could be.  If the quality of Royal's website is any indication of their technical capabilities, it might prove to be a bigger challenge than it would be for other companies.

2 hours ago, Bearsfan82 said:

Hard to say as it would only be a guess at this point.  There are no new sailings at the moment so it depends on how long this restriction would apply.   If it extends into the time-frame that the cruise lines want to start sailing again, then a good possibly, yeah.

Dan

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

So that means that if/when they reopen only those within driving distance would cruise.  Works for me😇

...passengers and crew arriving in the US from boarding domestic commercial flights"  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/europe-coronavirus-rate-of-new-infections-and-deaths-from-coronavirus-slowing.html?fbclid=IwAR2gJLhJajC0wIyVRGm6avIpmihdRFdhQ6qFiY9HkaAUz61nluxOER_LgKs

“We think the data is still broadly consistent with our central scenario in which new cases reach a first peak in Europe by early April and in the U.S. by mid-April, with the most severe restrictions to limit the spread lifted by mid-May.”

15 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

new cases reach a first peak in Europe by early April

The inclusion of the word “first” is ominous. 

45 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

...passengers and crew arriving in the US from boarding domestic commercial flights"  

I believe that was in the context of arriving on a ship with Covid-19.

8 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

I believe that was in the context of arriving on a ship with Covid-19.

Agree

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/europe-coronavirus-rate-of-new-infections-and-deaths-from-coronavirus-slowing.html?fbclid=IwAR2gJLhJajC0wIyVRGm6avIpmihdRFdhQ6qFiY9HkaAUz61nluxOER_LgKs
“We think the data is still broadly consistent with our central scenario in which new cases reach a first peak in Europe by early April and in the U.S. by mid-April, with the most severe restrictions to limit the spread lifted by mid-May.”

Given how cruise ships did a great deal of spreading of the virus the cruise lines probably should not be allowed to operate until there is a vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

14 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Given how cruise ships did a great deal of spreading of the virus the cruise lines probably should not be allowed to operate until there is a vaccine.

Then there won’t be any cruiselines...

It's my understanding that Pt Canaveral furloughed all cruise port employees through the end of May

4 hours ago, Bearsfan82 said:

This was a specific set of restrictions for the three ships (2 HAL and 1 Princess) that have been floating around for the past two weeks trying to find a port that would let them dock, not a general ban on cruise passengers from flying in or out to board or disembark a cruise.

Then there won’t be any cruiselines...

Cruises are not a necessity. The cruise lines managements acted irresponsibly. I would not lose any sleep over the demise of the current cruise lines.

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

This was a specific set of restrictions for the three ships (2 HAL and 1 Princess) that have been floating around for the past two weeks trying to find a port that would let them dock, not a general ban on cruise passengers from flying in or out to board or disembark a cruise.

Does it apply to all the ships out there now that are starting to unload crew? Oasis has plenty of crew cases

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

The inclusion of the word “first” is ominous. 

We may soon see what happen as China is starting to open things up.

When Japan did, it did not go well. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Cruises are not a necessity. The cruise lines managements acted irresponsibly. I would not lose any sleep over the demise of the current cruise lines.

So you think new lines will rise from the ashes?

27 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You are using logic.  I am not sure that is allowed.  🙂

So you think new lines will rise from the ashes?

If the current bunch don’t survive I think new lines will rise.

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

In what way were they irresponsible? 

Was there any guidance from authorities that they did not follow?

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Does it apply to all the ships out there now that are starting to unload crew? Oasis has plenty of crew cases

That may be.  Down under they shuffled crew around and are taking many of the home my ship.  Some are going to Bali to be send home by charter flights.   

In what way were they irresponsible? 
Was there any guidance from authorities that they did not follow?

They should have suspended operations after the Diamond Princess outbreak and subsequent infections. Instead they kept sending out ships. They were planning to continue until the White House intervened.

45 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

That may be.  Down under they shuffled crew around and are taking many of the home my ship.  Some are going to Bali to be send home by charter flights.   

That's much easier over there.  Here, all we have nearby is Jamaica. The other islands are fairly under represented