Soft Reopening Dates - Caribbean, Europe, Alaska

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Cruises are not a necessity. The cruise lines managements acted irresponsibly. I would not lose any sleep over the demise of the current cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would lose sleep if I had as many FCC's as some have.  

I would lose sleep if I had as many FCC's as some have.  

Only lucky timing for me not to have any deposits or bookings when this broke. I was cruise shopping at the time. Those FCC’s though I would not take those unless there was no choice.

Just so everyone is clear while I would not lose sleep over their demise I hope it does not come to that. I don’t think it would be a good thing. A lot of employees who have nothing to do with the decisions of management. When there is a vaccine or the virus has burned itself out I will return to the sea. I think it will be fewer cruises a year and more cruises on lines with smaller ships.

Hello,

Hmm.

If I may return to the thread title.....

By far the vast majority of European sailings start from or go to/via Spain and Italy - currently the two countries in Europe hit hardest by the corona virus.

So if Europe was to lead the 're-start pack' then new (temporary) home ports and itineraries would have to be found. Even if those two countries by virtue of their lockdown policies were first out of the worst-hit, would the cruise lines or passengers take the risk of returning to those ports soonest?

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

Hello,

I think it is possible that ships will sail with fewer passenger cabins for sale. Some cabins, especially lower decks, may be kept aside for isolation of passengers and crew should the need arise.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

Hello,

I think it is possible that ships will sail with fewer passenger cabins for sale. Some cabins, especially lower decks, may be kept aside for isolation of passengers and crew should the need arise.

Regards,

Cublet

The cruise lines added cabins to many ships during dry docks. Those should be returned to public spaces so passengers are less crowded together for more distancing. Crew should have their own cabins, not shared. Shared crew cabins increases the transmission of any viruses. They can turn lower deck cabins to crew cabins to accomplish that. So reduced passenger occupancy.

Along with that take the opportunity to reset cruise requirements. They should require all passengers to buy insurance and require all passengers to have passports.

6 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Hmm.

If I may return to the thread title.....

By far the vast majority of European sailings start from or go to/via Spain and Italy - currently the two countries in Europe hit hardest by the corona virus.

So if Europe was to lead the 're-start pack' then new (temporary) home ports and itineraries would have to be found. Even if those two countries by virtue of their lockdown policies were first out of the worst-hit, would the cruise lines or passengers take the risk of returning to those ports soonest?

Regards,

Cublet

People mobbing parks in China suggest folks who’ve been stuck at home for weeks will gladly leave. This crisis will impact the poor most-greatly. How many such folks go on European cruises? 

I think it’s the “value” 3 night cruises that will suffer the most. Luxury liners or luxury routes will likely do better. 

Spain and Italy are thought to be past their peak. I suspect Mediterranean ports will want tourism dollars if at all possible. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The cruise lines added cabins to many ships during dry docks. Those should be returned to public spaces so passengers are less crowded together for more distancing. Crew should have their own cabins, not shared. Shared crew cabins increases the transmission of any viruses. They can turn lower deck cabins to crew cabins to accomplish that. So reduced passenger occupancy.

Along with that take the opportunity to reset cruise requirements. They should require all passengers to buy insurance and require all passengers to have passports.

Buy insurance for Medical? New York doesn't have CFAR unless they will change that after this. 

18 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Spain and Italy are thought to be past their peak. I suspect Mediterranean ports will want tourism dollars if at all possible. 

Cruise ship passenger tourism dollars are very much a mixed bag for the ports. I expect many ports will use this as an excuse to severely limit or even eliminate cruise stops. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Cruise ship passenger tourism dollars are very much a mixed bag for the ports. I expect many ports will use this as an excuse to severely limit or even eliminate cruise stops. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Yes. Barcelona, Italian ports and Dubrovnik don’t need cruise ships. Those places are so good that they will still have more than enough tourists without cruise ships.

40 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

My friends in Spain are on day 26 of lockdown with another 21 to go.  Their small little town is reliant on Spanish tourism. The locals who work as chambermaids or on the bars and restaurants literally do not have any money coming in.  There is no government hand outs yet there.  Cartagena is their closest big town and port.

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

Yeah, lots of people will want to cruise once they've pre-planned for quarantines.   Now that's a care-free relaxing vacation!  It will all make sense once they have a reserved inside on a lower deck to quarantine you.

Edited by bouhunter

What good would insurance and passports do?  And, when this blows over will you require passengers to be sent to quarantine if they cough?  I understand people are uneasy about the current situation but no one ever had this much to say about SARS and that killed a bunch of people.  We are booked on  Ovation Sept. 4 for Alaska and yes, we will go if they cruise.  If you listen to the talking heads everyone will contract Corona and some will never know, some will get sick then well, and some will die.  I had a niece die from the flu 3 years ago.  Something positive would be nice to hear once in a while.

• Like 4

I've said this in other threads, but I find the odds of Royal voluntarily reducing the number of people on their ships pretty low.  Reverting suites to common areas?  Giving all crew their own rooms?  Do you have any idea how much that would cost, not only in conversion but especially in lost revenue?  Will all those calling for these measures to be implemented be supportive of the 100% increase in cruise fare that will be necessary to make up for all that lost money?  I doubt it.  Look at all the complaining already about the increased fare prices for next year while people are trying to use their FCCs.

There is likely a point that the cruise simply isn't profitable sailing, and if Oasis is sailing at something like 50% or less capacity because of all these new restrictions, I have to imagine that Royal would rather just not sail it than deal with all of that.  I see them doing all sorts of temporary improved hygiene measures, but I just can't see a voluntary reduction in pax.

The moment a vaccine comes out, I could see them making it required, then it is business as usual.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If you do a little reading and research, the cruise lines are WAY down the list of culpable entities responsible for the spread of this virus. 

Doesnt matter. Its perception which will guide the industry

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

and if the big 3 disappear and emerge as new companies, they will tweak their loyalty programs and we'll all start from scratch, even Super Mario.

wouldn't that be something!!!!

All C&A members with 0 points.  Guess no crowding in the lounge!

m

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Yeah, lots of people will want to cruise once they've pre-planned for quarantines.   Now that's a care-free relaxing vacation!  It will all make sense once they have a reserved inside on a lower deck to quarantine you.

Lol,exactly!  Who in their right mind wants to go on a relaxing vacation and end up quarantined? Never going to happen.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, Kokomo91165 said:

In discussions with current officers and crews onboard various ships throughout the world,

Respectfully, I'm confused.  Who exactly was involved in these discussions and how is it you have this information?  Can't seem to find anything on the internet...thank you!

13 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Respectfully, I'm confused.  Who exactly was involved in these discussions and how is it you have this information?  Can't seem to find anything on the internet...thank you!

The OP has not been back since they set this rumor swirling

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

<snip.

I think it’s the “value” 3 night cruises that will suffer the most. Luxury liners or luxury routes will likely do better. 

<snip>

Hello,

Those have ended since the 'All-inclusive' was seen as less of an opportunity and more of a challenge!

There's nothing shorter than 5 days in Europe now.

Regards,

Cublet

PS: That is apart from seniors' cruises where anything after 9.00pm and cocoa is seen as high living.