HAL Refund runaround

nyceve

I am booked on BTB cruises on Nieuw Statendam beginning on April 19th to Amsterdam, then May 10, RT Amsterdam.

I have Platinum insurance.  I have sent countless unanswered emails to everyone I could possibly think of at HAL.  Today, I sent an email to Guest Relations.  I have not received a single response or email from anyone at HAL. I have not even received an email informing me of the official cancellation of the April 19th cruise. It's as if I don't exist.

I am sad to say, but it is clear HAL wants to do everything in its power to delay refunds as long as possible.  We have paid close to $20,000 for the two cruises.

It seems that I paid for very expensive Platinum insurance (cancel for any reason) for no reason, since I have not even had a single acknowledgement of all the emails I've sent asking about my Platinum insurance coverage.

I have read plenty of threads here and elsewhere about Carnival possibly having to file for bankruptcy. The equally important issue is, how do these companies think they will continue to keep us as loyal cruisers which such atrocious treatment now?

Don't mean to increase your anxiety, but HAL is getting about a million emails a day and I doubt if giving refunds is at the top of their agenda at the moment.

I would suggest calling and even that may become frustrating. However, I agree you should try very hard to get your money back as soon as possible.

I expect giving refunds and turning lose of cash...even if it is your cash...is about the last thing they want to do right now.

• Like 1

I have called, emailed, done everything imaginable.  I booked through Costco, and finally got through to cancel.  But they told me all refunds come through HAL.  I submitted a claim for my Platinum insurance coverage with AON and I received back an email from AON telling me they don't handle Platinum insurance, it is handled directly by HAL.

Just now, DFD1 said:

Don't mean to increase your anxiety, but HAL is getting about a million emails a day and I doubt if giving refunds is at the top of their agenda at the moment.

I would suggest calling and even that may become frustrating. However, I agree you should try very hard to get your money back as soon as possible.

I expect giving refunds and turning lose of cash...even if it is your cash...is about the last thing they want to do right now.

This is really unacceptable. Giving refunds MUST be at the top of their list.  I have two very expensive cruises they cancelled, and they didn't even send me an email that they canceled! They are holding my money for a service they are not providing. In addition I paid a ton for what appears to be worthless Platinum (cancel for any reason) insurance.

Have you cancelled your cruise?

Your instance policy should give you all the information on terms, conditions and limitations on the cancel for any reason section of your policy.

Have you read your policy?

What is it you want?

Is it money from the insurance company for your cancellation or information from HAL that is available on their website about cancellations of the cruises?

Have you read the information on the website?

Not really sure what the issue is other then the fact that an overwhelmed system is dealing with clients in order of cruise dates .

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

I believe the Platinum plan is owned by HAL.

This refund business, not only for you, is going to get very dicey in the next few weeks.

DFC1, this seems to be exactly correct.  Platinum is owned/ underwritten by HAL, this is why AON told me the claim had to be processed by HAL.  Meanwhile, I have not had a single email from HAL, nothing, like I don't exist.  This should make everyone very concerned.

I appreciate your anxiety and understand your frustration, I had to cancel a crise for April 25.  That being said I believer that you are making the problem worst by sending your "countless" emails plus telephone calls to HAL. You are not the only person anxious to get your money back and HAL is having to deal with millions of emails and calls every day.  A little patience, understanding and courtesy is call for during this Covid-19 crisis.

During normal times the HAL Platinum insurance is very, good and very quick to pay their claim once the proper documentation is submitted.  I say that because in the past I had to use it .

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 1

I cancelled the TA portion on February 18 and got my 90%. back almost immediately.  Then one day this past week I got an email stating that my 10% will be credited to my Mariner account as a FCC.  I certainly wasn’t expecting that.  My insurance $$ is just what I paid for peace of mind, and it is lost.  I certainly would NEVER expect to get $$ paid for insurance to be refunded.

As I have stated  In several other posts I was satisfied with my 90% cruise cost refund,  my excursions costs refunded, my Amsterdam hotel refund and my airfare home refund.  My airfare to FLL is in limbo—booked directly with airline and they sent an email it would be refunded.  Just not sure and I won’t be one to overburden their phone lines.

I booked directly with HAL and feel that is one reason I feel it was handled promptly.  Also, I cancelled early  in This whole pandemic situation.

In the current situation, I would give HAL a chance.  Sure the stack of refunds is a mile high, they had two ships with a serious docking issue with COVID-19 passengers/patients.  They will refund your money in due time.

Edited by cruzn single

42 minutes ago, nyceve said:

I am booked on BTB cruises on Nieuw Statendam beginning on April 19th to Amsterdam, then May 10, RT Amsterdam.

I have Platinum insurance.  I have sent countless unanswered emails to everyone I could possibly think of at HAL.  Today, I sent an email to Guest Relations.  I have not received a single response or email from anyone at HAL. I have not even received an email informing me of the official cancellation of the April 19th cruise. It's as if I don't exist.

I am sad to say, but it is clear HAL wants to do everything in its power to delay refunds as long as possible.  We have paid close to $20,000 for the two cruises.

It seems that I paid for very expensive Platinum insurance (cancel for any reason) for no reason, since I have not even had a single acknowledgement of all the emails I've sent asking about my Platinum insurance coverage.

I have read plenty of threads here and elsewhere about Carnival possibly having to file for bankruptcy. The equally important issue is, how do these companies think they will continue to keep us as loyal cruisers which such atrocious treatment now?

you should be able to reuse your insurance on replacement cruise . Your insurance should not be  how you are refunded. The insurance would have only been 90 percent should be 100 percent.

Edited by cruiseing marly

4 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

I cancelled the TA portion on February 18 and got my 90%. back almost immediately.  Then one day this past week I got an email stating that my 10% will be credited to my Mariner account as a FCC.  I certainly wasn’t expecting that.  My insurance $$ is just what I paid for peace of mind, and it is lost.  I certainly would NEVER expect to get $$ paid for insurance to be refunded.

In the current situation, I would give HAL a chance.  Sure the stack of refunds was a mile high, they had two ships with a serious docking issue with COVID-19 passengers/patients.  They will refund your money in due time.

When I cancelled my cruise the HAL Platinum Insurance premium was immediately applied to a future cruise.

I can only imagine what it is like at HAL corporate right now. My cruise was cancelled last week and my TA told me not to expect anything from HAL for at least 60 days. I plan on being very patient for the next 60 days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nyceve said:

I am (was) also booked on the TransAtlantic portion from April 19th to May 10th. The announcement about extending the pause in cruises was made at 10:15am Eastern time on Monday the 30th. At 10:30 I had an email from HAL notifying me about the cancellations and my options. On April 2nd I had a follow up email from the Cruise Agency the cruise was with.

Did you cancel or wait for HAL to cancel?

Did you fill out the form at https://em.hollandamerica.com/pub/cc to let HAL know your preferences?

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 4

We had reservations on the May 4 cruise to Alaska.  We never received an email about the cancellation of our cruise, but our TA called us last week, explained our options, and submitted our preferences.  I don't expect to see anything for a month or more since HAL still has passengers enroute and are negotiating to save part of their summer cruise schedule.  I know that it is frustrating for you, but a little patience and empathy goes a long way.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I am (was) also booked on the TransAtlantic portion from April 19th to May 10th. The announcement about extending the pause in cruises was made at 10:15am Eastern time on Monday the 30th. At 10:30 I had an email from HAL notifying me about the cancellations and my options. On April 2nd I had a follow up email from the Cruise Agency the cruise was with.

Did you cancel or wait for HAL to cancel?

Did you fill out the form at https://em.hollandamerica.com/pub/cc to let HAL know your preferences?

As I stated, I have not received a single email from HAL. Full stop. The last email I received was HAL telling me to print my boarding passes.  After that, silence.  I'm really disgusted with them.  Why did I purchase platinum insurance?!

We are in the same boat and are hoping HAL eventually refunds our money. I made the mistake of paying for the entire cruise/tour months in advance.  I know this is always a bad idea but like doing it so the vacation is largely paid for while booked.  I don't think we will take this approach going forward though as we could have only had $600 at risk versus $6,800.  I hope everyone eventually gets their refunds.

51 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

HAL canceled our cruise.  I was told by HAL it could be up to 60 days. I am not going to bug them. I would only suggest that continuing to call and email repeatedly is not going to help the overwhelming situation right now. 

Joy and I are in the same situation! She was on The Oosterdam doing b2b2b Cruises our of San Diego! I was on The Rotterdam 3/11 doing Panama Canal both of us had to get off our ships.

My PCC has been on top of it for me. We rebooked our cruise and our FCC base only is applied. We are waiting for our monies from HAL and our PCC said as of last Friday since HAL had us on cruises and had to CA and we were sent home ours will be priority and said it looks like 30 days for us! She also said the majority will be 60-90 days!
Hi Joy❤️
Denise😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why is your refund the most important issue Holland is struggling with?

Not my refund, the refunds which many many people need.  The disregard I have experienced, and I am sure many others, for their loyal customers, is due to corporate indifference.  They will have a harder time surviving when many don't return.

4 minutes ago, nyceve said:

Not my refund, the refunds which many many people need.  The disregard I have experienced, and I am sure many others, for their loyal customers, is due to corporate indifference.  They will have a harder time surviving when many don't return.

There is no reason to accuse Carnival of 'corporate indifference' considering the issues they're trying to work through.  Once again, why should refunds be the highest priority considering all that is going on?  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Joy and I are in the same situation! She was on The Oosterdam doing b2b2b Cruises our of San Diego! I was on The Rotterdam 3/11 doing Panama Canal both of us had to get off our ships.

My PCC has been on top of it for me. We rebooked our cruise and our FCC base only is applied. We are waiting for our monies from HAL and our PCC said as of last Friday since HAL had us on cruises and had to CA and we were sent home ours will be priority and said it looks like 30 days for us! She also said the majority will be 60-90 days!
Hi Joy❤️
Denise😊

Hello again dear friend.❤️