HAL Refund runaround

nyceve

57 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

HAL still has its hands full getting people off the Zaandam. I think they need to finish putting out the fires before they can start dealing with the ashes.

I already liked your post and all of was wonderful  but this just sums it up so well 🙂 

I am so glad you are home safe and I don’t envy any of you the abrupt ending and worries  to that bucket list cruise.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, nyceve said:

Meanwhile, I have not had a single email from HAL, nothing, like I don't exist.  This should make everyone very concerned.

When you called HAL"s reservation line with your questions, what did the agent tell you?   

8 hours ago, nyceve said:

The disregard I have experienced, and I am sure many others, for their loyal customers, is due to corporate indifference.  

I assure you, HA:L is not suffering from corporate indifference. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nyceve said:

HAL has very  exacting financial demands of us, the passengers. Final payment due date, etc. etc. But when it comes to a contractually due refund, they are silent.  

Not so fast. Under normal circumstances, HAL refunds are credited back in 7-10 days. Sometimes sooner. 

You know that HAL is under enormous pressure on many fronts.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, nyceve said:

HAL has very  exacting financial demands of us, the passengers. Final payment due date, etc. etc. But when it comes to a contractually due refund, they are silent.  Not even the simple courtesy of an email. It is the worst customer service ever as someone else noted. And it will profoundly harm the company long term.

How dare they defer usual levels of customer service (to people who are home and safe) just because other people are actively dying on their ships right now in the midst of a global pandemic.

Not their highest priority. Not even top ten. Repeated outraged emails and phones calls over refunds aren't going to move anyone up the priority list in the current crisis. Might be a good idea to at least wait until passengers stop dying.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, nyceve said:

This is really unacceptable. Giving refunds MUST be at the top of their list.  I have two very expensive cruises they cancelled, and they didn't even send me an email that they canceled! They are holding my money for a service they are not providing. In addition I paid a ton for what appears to be worthless Platinum (cancel for any reason) insurance.

They need to hold onto the money right now as long as possible.  Waiting myself.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nymich said:

They need to hold onto the money right now as long as possible.  Waiting myself.

I saw a news report that the credit card companies don’t what that many refund transactions. With all the refunds from the amazingly amount of travel refunds. That is the main reason refunds are slower .

2 minutes ago, cruiseing marly said:

I saw a news report that the credit card companies don’t what that many refund transactions. With all the refunds from the amazingly amount of travel refunds. That is the main reason refunds are slower .

Makes sense.  We're still waiting on hotel refunds too.  I know they're coming, but I've been notified that these are taking up to 60 days too.

• Like 1

I don’t believe your Platinum protection plan is in play here at all. HAL cancelled the cruises, not you, so you will be entitled to the same refunds/FCC as everyone else.

Since you booked through Costco, HAL will communicate with them as your agent. That’s who you need to be communicating with to make your preference known.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruiseing marly said:

My feeling is that the lines are hurting right now for cash as they are shut down from any revenue indefinitely.  I got the airfare and hotel credited back right away so just waiting on HAL.  

Edited by Nymich

I would be more sympathetic with HAL if they were being more upfront about cruises that will not happen.  They can easily remove them from their website.  That department is not dealing with passengers on ships and getting them home.

if they aren’t processing refunds they at least could process the promised FCC from cancelled cruises.  That doesn’t cost any money and would allow customers to plan a cruise for next year.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vinfan said:

Once again I will add my 2 cents’ worth regarding HAL’s complete lack of communication. They kept us hanging up to a week before our March cruise, even suggesting shore excursions, when virtually all our destination ports were closed to cruise ships. They announced cancellation of a cruise 6 days before ours and 10 days after, but never ours. All we got was the email announcing the 30-day pause, a timeframe that included our cruise. Worst. Customer. Service. Ever.

No, probably the busiest "Customer. Service. Ever."

• Like 3

The real issue here is that as cash comes in, it goes out for expenses. No business keeps hundreds of millions, or billions in revenues just sitting around waiting for pandemics to cause a sudden collapse of their business, and a gazillion refund requests. This is true of insurance operations as well...they don't just take your premiums and put them in a savings account. They get invested for returns, and those investments need to be sold to get cash for refunds. 

HAL, and all the other cruise lines, are raising cash to make these refunds. They are borrowing,  or, as reported here, selling more stock, to raise cash. As that cash comes in, it will go out the door for expenses,  including refunds. 

I know the speed is frustrating. But no business is prepared for this sort of turmoil. OP, your refund is no more important than the refund HAL owes us. And no refund is more important than the lives that were at risk.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, nyceve said:

I have called, emailed, done everything imaginable.  I booked through Costco, and finally got through to cancel.  But they told me all refunds come through HAL.  I submitted a claim for my Platinum insurance coverage with AON and I received back an email from AON telling me they don't handle Platinum insurance, it is handled directly by HAL.

With the platinum plan AON only becomes involved at the time of departure. The plan is turned into a travel insurance policy just before you leave. Prior to that it is HAL who refunds 90%. 

Like so many others, I am also in line for a refund. “My” cruise was to be in Cabo today. 

When I cancelled ( a few hours before the pause was announced), Costco was slammed and staff from many departments were taking calls. I had to walk the agent through the cancel with HAL process so I could exercise the platinum. 

• Like 2

To the OP, I understand that you feel that HAL is ignoring your emails "like you don't exist", so I'd like to offer a bit of explanation, as a travel agent.

You stated you are booked with a big box retailer as your travel agent. HAL would be sending emails in regards to your cruise cancellation, cancellation options, and so on to your travel agent. Your travel agent should be forwarding them on to you.

As an agent who has several client bookings with HAL in similar circumstances, I have received communications from HAL in regards to these bookings.  It is my responsibility to communicate these to my client, and assist my client in getting their selections processed. 

Also, this process may take some time as we are in an unprecedented situation, involving thousands upon thousands of bookings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I would be more sympathetic with HAL if they were being more upfront about cruises that will not happen.  They can easily remove them from their website.  That department is not dealing with passengers on ships and getting them home.

if they aren’t processing refunds they at least could process the promised FCC from cancelled cruises.  That doesn’t cost any money and would allow customers to plan a cruise for next year.

In my opinion there will not be any cruises for at least six months.  HAL has to do the pause one month at a time so they can process the refunds in an orderly fashion, (and they also get to hold onto the cash from future cruises).  My cruise which was to leave on April 15 out of San Diego, did not get cancelled until last week.  Even though all of our scheduled ports had been closed early in March.  We couldn’t even get across the border to even embark on the ship.  Where would we have cruised to?  It was inevitable the cruise was going to be cancelled.    I don’t understand why people are waiting for HAL to cancel, other than if they are wanting a full cash refund instead of part cash and part FCC.  

22 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

In my opinion there will not be any cruises for at least six months.  HAL has to do the pause one month at a time so they can process the refunds in an orderly fashion, (and they also get to hold onto the cash from future cruises).  My cruise which was to leave on April 15 out of San Diego, did not get cancelled until last week.  Even though all of our scheduled ports had been closed early in March.  We couldn’t even get across the border to even embark on the ship.  Where would we have cruised to?  It was inevitable the cruise was going to be cancelled.    I don’t understand why people are waiting for HAL to cancel, other than if they are wanting a full cash refund instead of part cash and part FCC.  

If HAL cancelled cruises that they know will not happen then people could start cancelling flights, hotels etc.  HAL could also state their plan to make customers whole.  Something along the order of you will get your refund 60 days after your cruise sail date.  That would build some level of trust.  I have a final payment decision coming up for an August cruise.  If I only get silence and no action the cruise will be cancelled.

• Like 2

I understand refunds will take time to process given the volume, but I don't think it's entitled for the OP to expect some (automated) acknowledgement that the request was received, and for the rest of us to receive some acknowledgement on the Alaska/Canada cruises that are de facto canceled by Canada's port closures. We understand there's a queue, but the OP hasn't even received confirmation that he's in it.

• Like 1

I believe there is a reason HAL waits until the last minute to cancel a cruise. They want to make sure they are past the final payment date before canceling. They want everyone to pay in full for their cruise, so they have that cash to pay for their many expenses, including refunds. 

My cruise wasn't until August, and the final payment was due in early May. But, I decided I didn't want to give HAL any more of my money. No way would I pay off that cruise and put more money at risk, so I cancelled it. Now I am waiting for my refund like everybody else, but at least it is just for the deposit, not the entire cost of the cruise.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, strickerj said:

I understand refunds will take time to process given the volume, but I don't think it's entitled for the OP to expect some (automated) acknowledgement that the request was received, and for the rest of us to receive some acknowledgement on the Alaska/Canada cruises that are de facto canceled by Canada's port closures. We understand there's a queue, but the OP hasn't even received confirmation that he's in it.

They haven’t received anything from HAL because it would go to their travel agent. My cancellation email came to me because I booked direct. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Nymich said:

I got the airfare and hotel credited back right away so just waiting on HAL.  

You're lucky.  Out of 4 hotel bookings we have received refunds for 2.  Those just happened to be the lowest charges of the 4.  The highest is over $900 in Sydney Australia.  I have the written confirmation for a refund, but it's been 2 weeks and I expect it could be a few more.

18 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

You're lucky.  Out of 4 hotel bookings we have received refunds for 2.  Those just happened to be the lowest charges of the 4.  The highest is over $900 in Sydney Australia.  I have the written confirmation for a refund, but it's been 2 weeks and I expect it could be a few more.

2 out of 4 isn't bad and if it was baseball you would lead the league in hitting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2020 at 10:16 AM, nyceve said:

I am booked on BTB cruises on Nieuw Statendam beginning on April 19th to Amsterdam, then May 10, RT Amsterdam.

I have Platinum insurance.  I have sent countless unanswered emails to everyone I could possibly think of at HAL.  Today, I sent an email to Guest Relations.  I have not received a single response or email from anyone at HAL. I have not even received an email informing me of the official cancellation of the April 19th cruise. It's as if I don't exist.

I am sad to say, but it is clear HAL wants to do everything in its power to delay refunds as long as possible.  We have paid close to $20,000 for the two cruises.

It seems that I paid for very expensive Platinum insurance (cancel for any reason) for no reason, since I have not even had a single acknowledgement of all the emails I've sent asking about my Platinum insurance coverage.

I have read plenty of threads here and elsewhere about Carnival possibly having to file for bankruptcy. The equally important issue is, how do these companies think they will continue to keep us as loyal cruisers which such atrocious treatment now?

Why should you get a refund before anyone else who also has cancelled cruises?

• Like 4