Things you will miss after restrictions are lifted ...

Looking for the positive in things .....
I don’t mean to belittle the loss that some people  have experienced but the restrictions imposed during the pandemic have led to new ways of behaving, some of which are to be welcomed. 

It would be great if queuing from now on maintained social distancing. It’s a welcome change to not have a complete stranger breathing on the back of your neck. 

Also with gyms closed it’s nice to see families exercising together. So often it’s another time when we spend time separate. 

• Like 2

I am loving the forced slow down.

Not having all the sports and other activities to schedule dinner around, I am loving the leisurely dinner hours actually talking to family. While we have always made dinner time a priority,  it is nice to eat before 8 or 8:30 and not be rushed to get to other things.

I love seeing all our neighbors on our neighborhood facebook groups reaching out and helping each other.  People who are running out of food only have to ask and 20 other neighbors organize a food run.

I love seeing the signs lining the streets around the local hospitals, grocery stores, and other front line businesses saying thanks.

I love the city wide evening hour to go on your porch or balcony to say hi to neighbors and to show appreciation for those in essential jobs.

I love seeing our mayor take over a community volunteer effort to save our local restaurants while also thanking our hospital workers.  They offered up their resources to collect money. That money is then used to purchase meals from our local restaurants and deliver them to hospitals, police stations and fire stations.

While people are stressed and there is some stressed out behavior, for the most part, I see a community coming together in kindness, something rare in our hurried lives before.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

Our local grocery was sold out of yeast from people baking their own bread.  I’ve been baking bread for over 50 years.  I’m happy to think that at least a few of these new bakers will keep it up.  

I also wonder about how it will change the way many offices work.  In 1996 when the Olympics came to Atlanta, most offices went to a more casual dress code.  After they were done, the dress stayed more casual.  Office managers found out that it improves morale and didn’t hurt productivity.  Will this crisis change the way people work?  I’m retired, so it doesn’t matter to me.

I cant think of one thing I'll miss.

My 101 year old dad fell 2 nights ago. We normally would go to ER for bandaging and xrays, but we consider hospitals a possible death sentence for him now.

Nope I just want this over with.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ATG said:

Our local grocery was sold out of yeast from people baking their own bread.  I’ve been baking bread for over 50 years.  I’m happy to think that at least a few of these new bakers will keep it up.  

It’s the same here. It’s become really difficult to get flour in the shops. The kids always loved baking but it looks like everyone now has taken to it. Hopefully when people have experienced freshly baked bread for breakfast, it’s something they’ll keep up. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I cant think of one thing I'll miss.

My 101 year old dad fell 2 nights ago. We normally would go to ER for bandaging and xrays, but we consider hospitals a possible death sentence for him now.

Nope I just want this over with.

Sorry to hear that. I hope he can get the care he needs and makes a full recovery. 

• Like 2

I love the feeling of community spirit that has come to the fore. So many people offering help to their neighbours, volunteering for the NHS, coming out on the doorstep to clap for the key workers every week. When we go out for our daily walk strangers moving aside to keep social distancing and calling out Hello from the other side of the street. In a world that has increasingly seemed like people are only out for themselves it has shown that the vast majority really do care about others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am trying really hard, but just not coming up with anything 😟. Does the stimulus check count?

Not when the stimulus check is just an advance on next years refund. Yeah look it up. 

• Like 2

Today was a nice partly sunny mid 60s day.  I was out front cleaning up flower beds and it was really nice to see lots of families taking walks together and everyone saying hi and asking how you were doing and meaning it too!  I felt like I was on an episode of leave it to beaver.

17 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Not when the stimulus check is just an advance on next years refund. Yeah look it up. 

I would like to see where this is on the IRS website, can you direct me to the link please?

Everyone may love the staying at home but what about all the gyms and health clubs that have closed or gone out of business because people are not allowed to go there.  Restaurants that cannot do the take out and now they are gone.  How many people are going to lose their home because they cannot make the payments, yes you can get an extension but only for so long and the payment goes at the end of your payment schedule so the payments will still be expected.  I just want to get this thing over with and get back to a decent normal.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

I believed that at one time and researched it.  I read that the stimulus check is a refundable tax credit advanced from your 2020 tax return and “is similar to other refundable tax credits, like the child tax credit”.  My interpretation is that there will be a tax credit that will be calculated on our 2020 tax return because the stimulus check should be based on 2020 income.  If it is equal to your check, it is a wash.  If your check is more than you should have received because your 2020 income is higher, you do not have to repay it.  If you do not qualify for a check based on your 2019 tax return, but lose your job in 2020 and do qualify for a check based on your lower 2020 income, it will be added to your refund on your 2020 tax return.  This is strictly my interpretation, I have no tax or financial training, and I could be just flat wrong.  I hope somebody who understands this will chime in here.   I do think that if it really is an advance on next year’s refund, there would have been a huge outcry by now and we would have heard more about it.

The one-time payment — which the IRS is calling an "economic impact payment" — is technically an advanced tax credit meant to offset your 2020 federal income taxes. 

Based on what I found it is considered a tax credit. Does not need to be returned and not considered income.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

The one-time payment — which the IRS is calling an "economic impact payment" — is technically an advanced tax credit meant to offset your 2020 federal income taxes. 

Based on what I found it is considered a tax credit. Does not need to be returned and not considered income.

Oh you found it. Sounds like politician mumbo jumbo. We'll see what effects it actually has.

• Like 1

There's no traffic. And I love it. Whether we just jump in the pick up for a drive or go to the beach, roads are empty. 

Hubby drives a truck for sanitation company. He is able to get more done in less time Due to the fact there is no traffic. 

• Like 1

Spending time with my kids.  We have cuddle time every evening and watch a movie or do something.  They are 8 (twins, boy and girl) so it will be few and far between. 

I have had time to read several books.

I had time to do the cleaning I always avoid, we will be able to move the kids into two rooms by this summer. 

I thought working from home would be fun, but it is a lot harder (teacher doing remote learning). The good thing is I have learned a lot in two weeks about technology that I will be able to continue to use.  The forced aspect of it means I had to figure it out.

I had more time with my husband.  We usually are ships passing in the night/day (I work days and him nights)so we vacation to spend time together. Now I get to see him a lot.  

I saved money being at home (We are both still being paid and working, me at home and him essential employee).

• Like 3

It will take a while but stores/restaurants will re-open (sadly some won't survive) and I'm sure most people will settle back into a routine of old.  Our kids are grown & we're in our early 50's.  I think Facebook is overrated and refuse to have one and have thought for a few years it would  be nice if families interacted with each other more.  You know, have a family meal together (without someone's head buried in their phone) or play outside in the yard together, go for bike rides.   Our street hasn't seen this many bikes in years!  Every evening riding past our house.  I've seen more families together outside (in their own yards) playing ball, doing chores together, and heard stories of parents getting to spend more quality time with their kids because they're not running from can to can't with all of the kids' activities away from home, school and work.

My hope is that after we get through this trying time, people have figured out a way to make their quality time spent together now the new norm.