Status update on ships & crew?

nycruiser2006

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No, they are not ill, they just cannot fly.  Conditions like COPD or DVT don't mean you need hospitalization, but because you have COPD, or have had a DVT in the past, you are not supposed to fly, per your doctor.

Not really anything to do with your post, but I knew you'd be the best to answer. My place on the mainland is in Long Beach. We look out over the ocean, and can see part of the Carnival dock. 3 ships, the Miracle,Inspiration,and the Panorama seem to rotate off and on the dock every few days. They also cruise down south of the border. My questions,

1) Do you pay an anchorage fee if within the 12 mile boundary?

2) Don't you have to pay each time the ship docks?

3) Any reason ship keeps moving, seems tankers, container ships stay idle at anchorage at times longer.

4) Does ship need ram water for de-sal?

Just some questions as I'm not flying and have nothing else to do but walk on my treadmill and dream of flying and cruising again.

Mahalo for your expertise in answering these questions.

Yehootu -   answers :

1/ Yes & No - depends.

2/ Yes

3/ Cargo ships have much smaller crews, larger tank space, use less water & produce less black water.

4/ No [need C/E to confirm] but they need to be a certain distance from land to make water.

7 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Not really anything to do with your post, but I knew you'd be the best to answer. My place on the mainland is in Long Beach. We look out over the ocean, and can see part of the Carnival dock. 3 ships, the Miracle,Inspiration,and the Panorama seem to rotate off and on the dock every few days. They also cruise down south of the border. My questions,

1) Do you pay an anchorage fee if within the 12 mile boundary?

2) Don't you have to pay each time the ship docks?

3) Any reason ship keeps moving, seems tankers, container ships stay idle at anchorage at times longer.

4) Does ship need ram water for de-sal?

Just some questions as I'm not flying and have nothing else to do but walk on my treadmill and dream of flying and cruising again.

Mahalo for your expertise in answering these questions.

1.  Generally, no, but you can't just anchor anywhere, there are designated areas.

2.  Generally, yes, but it depends on the contract the company might make with the port authority

3.  As SeaDog says, smaller crew (20-30), so only use about 8-10 tons of water daily.  Gray and black water not an issue, as long as the treatment plant is working.  Though there are some restrictions in the US when you get within 3 miles of shore on types of discharges.  Also, to discharge bilge water (through an oil/water separator), you must be "underway".

4.  No, the ship pumps sea water into the distillers.  But, as noted, you must be 12 miles offshore to make water.  Also, if you are using a flash evaporator, rather than a Reverse Osmosis, water maker, you need a certain amount of "waste heat" from the engines.  The hot cooling water from the diesels is cooled two ways (think of the radiator on your car):  one is via a cooler to sea water (wasted heat), or the other is to heat sea water in a flash evaporator, causing it to boil and then can be condensed as fresh water.  There are ways to make water at anchor with a flash evaporator, using the boiler for heat, and RO units don't need heat, but if you are running your sewage treatment plant at the same time you are taking sea water in to make drinking water, there is a very good chance of bringing contaminated water into your water makers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

4.  No, the ship pumps sea water into the distillers.  But, as noted, you must be 12 miles offshore to make water.  Also, if you are using a flash evaporator, rather than a Reverse Osmosis, water maker, you need a certain amount of "waste heat" from the engines.  The hot cooling water from the diesels is cooled two ways (think of the radiator on your car):  one is via a cooler to sea water (wasted heat), or the other is to heat sea water in a flash evaporator, causing it to boil and then can be condensed as fresh water.  There are ways to make water at anchor with a flash evaporator, using the boiler for heat, and RO units don't need heat, but if you are running your sewage treatment plant at the same time you are taking sea water in to make drinking water, there is a very good chance of bringing contaminated water into your water makers.

There are several princess ships anchored in the bahamas, with nearly full crew on board. (up to 1000 people)

Under these circumstances, how would the ship take care of the water needs?

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

There are several princess ships anchored in the bahamas, with nearly full crew on board. (up to 1000 people)

Under these circumstances, how would the ship take care of the water needs?

Thanks.

They will get underway, steam around a bit to provide heat to the water makers, and then go back to anchor.  Cruise ships are generally provided with more watermaking capacity than is needed, since you can't run it all the time, and without pax, you are using less than 1/3 of normal consumption.  Onboard tankage would be over a couple week's worth of water for crew only.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

They will get underway, steam around a bit to provide heat to the water makers, and then go back to anchor.  Cruise ships are generally provided with more watermaking capacity than is needed, since you can't run it all the time, and without pax, you are using less than 1/3 of normal consumption.  Onboard tankage would be over a couple week's worth of water for crew only.

Thank you for the reply.

The Princess and Carnival ships at anchor in the Bahamas are taking turns going to Princess Cays one day a week and allowing the crew use the facilities.

Found this site informative.

Mahalo chengkp75 for the anwsers. Inspiration off this am and Miracle back on. It's like hitting the tanker when doing long haul fighter movements.Gives me something to look for each AM. Star and Royal anchored south of here and I don't see them moving much on ship tracker.