Cancelling for a full refund?

raesive

I am pretty new to cruising, hubby and I have gone 3 times now, twice with HAL. Each time we have booked within the last 90 days before sailing and weren't worried about plans changing at the time. We are currently looking at a trans-atlantic for next April, and with the deal right now it seems like a good time to book. If we chose the refundable deposit option and had something come up before January when final payment would be due, would we be able to cancel completely and not be out anything? That is how people seem to talk but I wanted to be sure. HAL's site implies that you only lose out if you book something non-refundable or try to cancel once within the 90 days pre-sailing. Can people with experience confirm for me?

Yes.  As long as you booked a refundable fare and cancel within the cancellation period (it varies- so be sure to look at the schedule) you will be refunded your deposit and for anything else you purchased in advance.  Do not buy a cancellation plan until right before the final payment, if you plan on doing so as it would not be refunded.  

I should add- we have cancelled a cruise and it was very easy.  

Also, if you have a PCC they are generally very good about alerting you for cruise protection plans, final payment, etc if you let the know.   Ours puts alerts on our cruises and always calls or emails or does both. 

You are good, can cancel before final payment,  and also can continue to take advantage of any price reductions if they develop. The only 'wrinkle' although unlikely, is the chance of CCL bankruptcy.  This is probably remote, a while off, and my thinking is at least for the cruise deposit that you would have protection from your credit card issuer.  

Anyway, we have deposit in place for January cruise and will not have to revisit this until nearer to final payment.

As long as you do not have necessary funds tied up in the deposit it is really a 'win, win" for the most part.

Healthy Cruising

On 4/5/2020 at 3:49 PM, Gigi1977 said:

Do not buy a cancellation plan until right before the final payment

Just FYI for anyone still hanging onto a cruise in the near term. HAL is not allowing purchasing insurance just before on the updated 60 day final payment window. They still count it as penalties started back at your original final payment date.