APRIL 6 REFUND THREAD: Have you received your refund?

edl868

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

From what I've been reading on here it sounds like they have two groups of employees, one working on cruise refunds and the other on Funshop purchases, but all we can do is guess.

If that is the way they are handling things, that makes sense to me. I’ll just try to be patient.  You are right, all any of us can do is guess😄

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:04 PM, ireashmott said:

So apparently I spoke to soon. Today our Visa posted a backdated charge that reversed the refund I had received for one of the balance payments. So now we only have 2 refunds (one for each of the deposits) and no refunds for either of the balance payments. I am not sure why Carnival would have reversed a refund, but I am not a happy. 

As an update, I spoke with Carnival today. They said that they had incorrectly processed all refunds for Canadians. So all Canadians who have received a refund, it will be reversed and they will see the refund correctly posted in the next week or so. 

I am thinking as with any department they have delegated duties to various employees to help speed things along and keep people working. Having said that, remember all employees don't work the same so your refund information may be laying on the desk of an employee who may not work as diligently as another employee (being polite here) as I am an employed person who sees this all the time on my own job. It may be why some people for April are already seeing their refunds while some people for March still have not gotten theirs. I am hoping my refund for my group lands on the desk of a hard working employee like myself - lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMO, refunding by sail date is inherently unfair.

Legally, the refunds should be made according to FIFO...

First IN, First OUT....  Refund in order of the date the monies were transmitted to Carnival's "care"...  the money should have been maintained in escrow to begin with.  ESPECIALLY for a company using accrual based accounting which generally ALL corporations are required to utilize.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cautery said:

First IN, First OUT....  Refund in order of the date the monies were transmitted to Carnival's "care"...  the money should have been maintained in escrow to begin with.  ESPECIALLY for a company using accrual based accounting which generally ALL corporations are required to utilize.

I think they aren't following FIFO.  The refund I am waiting for is FTTF booked March 22, 2019. The cruise itself was booked July 17, 2018.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I think they aren't following FIFO.  The refund I am waiting for is FTTF booked March 22, 2019. The cruise itself was booked July 17, 2018.

Clearly they aren't....

Frankly, I see no rhyme or reason to the pattern.

I submitted a request to cancel our cruise and received an email on March 17 2020 stating it would take 10-14 days . It is now April 30 2020 and I still have not received my money back. I sent the CEO an email today to see if I get a response. I am a regular cruiser of Carnival.

10 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I agree, as mine was booked in 2018 as well. I JUST got my April cruise refund.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cautery said:

That would make it worse I think. Many will make intermittent payments before final payment date in order to pay off the cruise before hand. I fall into that category and really have no interest in my money coming back $100 every two weeks. Regardless of how anyone thinks it should be done CCL is doing it their way and we don't get a vote.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Regardless of how anyone thinks it should be done CCL is doing it their way and we don't get a vote.

Until the lawsuits start hitting the courts....  <wink>

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, cautery said:

Until the lawsuits start hitting the courts....  <wink>

Maybe, but it would take longer than 90 days to get it into court (and I doubt that a court would provide relief).

• Like 3

On 4/30/2020 at 8:03 AM, grandmarnnurse said:

Well, I just checked my account, and my refunds have landed, so it seems that they are now refunding April cruises. Very happy. 😎

On 4/30/2020 at 8:33 AM, ksmcdonald said:

I see some April cruises are starting to be refunded. I’m still waiting for my March 22 refund.  So I’m not sure they are going by sail date. Why would they start April when March cruise still need refunded. My dad and sister haven’t received their March 23 refund yet either. 

I'm really trying to figure out how they're processing refunds. I had a group booked for a May 15, 2020 cruise. The group cancelled on March 12. They're all still waiting for a refund. 🤔

2 hours ago, zpdw484 said:

Have now received all of the cruise fare refund for 3/14 cruise but still nothing on the drink packages or internet. Anyone getting refunds for these yet?

when we cancelled on 03/11 for our cruise with sail date of 03/16, we received refunds for excursions that we had booked, internet packages, and steakhouse dining reservations fairly soon after.  i believe others commenting experienced the same, but it definitely isn't a consistent experience.

17 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I got the bulk of my money for two staterooms (approx $5k) refunded for a 3/21 cruise last weekend. I paid in December. I got refunds for two FTTF charges, purchased in early March, about a month ago. I'm still waiting for a refund for our Cheers and Bubbles packages, along with some other miscellaneous Funshop purchases. Those were also made in March. It's all been pretty random. 

Carnival cancelled my cruise which was originally scheduled for departure on April 29th.  I am Diamond on Carnival and I called the Diamond desk on March 31st to apply my FCC to a cruise I had already booked for April 10, 2021.  They informed me that they could only apply $1,000 of the cruise fare towards next year's cruise and the balance would be refunded to the original check card I had used.

Well, I am still waiting for that balance to be refunded plus a refund for the items I had ordered from the Fun Shops for my stateroom (water and soda).  I called the Diamond desk again and asked them to look at my cruise cancellation info and they said that they could see that my refunds are in the "queue" for a refund but could not tell me when that would be and was told to have "patience".  

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yeah, I saw your plan a few pages back. You can intend all you want to but at the end of the day all a court is likely to give you is a refund of your cruise fare, if it even makes it into court (since there is an arbitration clause in the cruise contract, among other things). You would need to show malice in order to even have a chance of recovering extraordinary damages and since all of the cruise lines are doing the same thing that Carnival is doing it's unlikely that you'd succeed in that regard. 

Arbitration clauses contained in boiler plate contracts are routinely set aside by courts as precedent dictates that boiler plate contracts are to be interpreted in favor of the party that did NOT draft the contract.

I have never sued anyone in my life, though I have had valid causes of action to do so.  But I am making an exception here, because Carnival's conduct in the matter is IMO particularly egregious.

And @jennas_mum....  I saw your response before it was deleted.  You have completely missed the point.

12 hours ago, zpdw484 said:

Have now received all of the cruise fare refund for 3/14 cruise but still nothing on the drink packages or internet. Anyone getting refunds for these yet?

I received my Cheers package but not my cruise fare or port taxes for my March 22 cruise. Just the opposite of you!  Go figure!

On 4/8/2020 at 2:12 PM, sparks1093 said:

I know from perusing other cruise line boards that Carnival isn't the only one in this situation. 

Yeah this is so true, it is all over the Cruise Critics boards. I did get my refund from Royal but that was just a down payment. It took almost a month.

I thought I read on here a while ago that when people cancel their Carnival cruise, they are not getting a confirmation number, email, nothing of any kind, Is this true? Is this with online cancellations through their website or just on the phone with a PVP? I'm just wondering which way is the safest way to cancel, if there is one.

I just contacted a friend of mine who has been waiting for a Princess refund since 2nd of April. He received a notice today that his cancellation case has been investigated and a refund issued. It also said that he will have to wait up to 90 days to get money on his account. Surprisingly, they even mentioned in the letter that in case he doesn't receive a refund during the first month he can contact their customer service to find out how is it going. 

7 hours ago, cautery said:

Arbitration clauses contained in boiler plate contracts are routinely set aside by courts as precedent dictates that boiler plate contracts are to be interpreted in favor of the party that did NOT draft the contract.

I have never sued anyone in my life, though I have had valid causes of action to do so.  But I am making an exception here, because Carnival's conduct in the matter is IMO particularly egregious.

And @jennas_mum....  I saw your response before it was deleted.  You have completely missed the point.

You might be able to find a lawyer after a bit of work, if you agree to pay him or her, but I'm going to guess that most of the lawyers you approach are going to reject your cased and none of them would agree to take the case on a contingent basis. If you've had valid causes of action before you don't have one now. Carnival isn't doing anything "criminal" and they aren't violating any laws. They have over a million refunds to process. Do the math. If an employee can process a refund every 10 minutes that is 6 refunds an hour, 48 refunds in an 8 hour day with no breaks (and no slow downs in internet service or other glitches). Let's say they have 100 employees working on this, which gives us 4800 refunds possibly being processed per day. With a million claims to process that means 208 days to process them all. And you are continuing to overlook that all of the other cruise lines are processing refunds with the same time frame as Carnival, up to 90 days. This is an unprecedented time and courts are going to take that all into account. I fully understand where you are coming from, I have just under $2500 to be refunded, but the bottom line is that we have to be patient.

How did your disputes go with the credit card companies? I've heard that some cards are reversing the charges immediately and others are giving the vendor 90 days to process the refund. 

• Like 2