APRIL 6 REFUND THREAD: Have you received your refund?

edl868

7 weeks today waiting on one refund....

over two weeks waiting on the other

Beyond annoyed.  Nothing says financial trouble quite like a company having you wait this long for a refund.  Heck, I am tempted to cancel a cruise for 2021 at this point just because i fear I'll lose even more money.

6 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Carnival is processing millions of refunds and their offices are closed and or operating on skeleton accounts my PVP is working from home. Patience everyone.

Totally agree, and was getting ready to respond the same way. I, too, am expecting refunds, but only about $707, as they already transferred all of my FCC and part of my refunds to pay for my next cruise entirely. I do not expect to even see them until end of June at the earliest. Yes, hotels, etc have refunded almost immediately, but the enormous amount of cancellations and refunds they need to process under a skeletal crew, most likely stationed in their homes, makes an immediate refund nearly impossible, no matter how modern the technology. Just be patient, people. They are doing their best. I intend to stick with Carnival, because this crisis was not of their making, and they deserve my cruise dollars to bounce back. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I think you're not in the minority.  Five to ten business days is routine for a refund.  I am willing to call up to thirty days reasonable in this sort of unprecedented circumstance, but Carnival should clearly communicate its intentions and timeline.

Rather than providing clear communication, Carnival is simply stonewalling.

If Carnival is stonewalling so are the other cruise lines. They knew that they needed to give a time frame for refunds and after analyzing their processes, the numbers of refunds due, their available staffing, etc., etc. they said that refunds would take up to 90 days. I think they have been clear and since they are being consistent with other lines I fail to see a reason to doubt their intentions.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I think you're not in the minority.  Five to ten business days is routine for a refund.  I am willing to call up to thirty days reasonable in this sort of unprecedented circumstance, but Carnival should clearly communicate its intentions and timeline.

Rather than providing clear communication, Carnival is simply stonewalling.

I agree with you.  I had several trips this year that have been cancelled.  We had a vacation at Disney World cancelled.  We received our refund in 3 days.  We were supposed to be going to Yellowstone in June, but at this point we cancelled since the earliest they say they are opening is 2 days before our arrival.  Signal Mountain Lodge and Xanterra refunded our money in 1 day for Signal Mountain Lodge and 5 days for Xanterra.  I don't think they have all their people working either. Xanterra has properties in several National Parks (over 2000 rooms alone in Yellowstone) and they have people coming and going on a daily basis unlike the cruise lines that have people for several days at a time. That is also a lot of reservations and possible refunds to process.

But there is a big difference.  These companies know they will be opening sooner than the cruise lines.  The cruise lines don't know when they might be able to sail again.  I believe they are taking their time in refunding money, just like they are waiting as long as possible to cancel the cruises even though they know some of them are going to be cancelled.  As soon as they cancel those cruises they will have to refund even more money.  Different industries with different considerations. I don't believe it is because of so many cancellations and not enough personnel, but rather because of the uncertainty of the future sailing dates and money flow. This is how they are handling it.  I understand why they are doing it, but they are doing it. It certainly doesn't make me confident in giving them my vacation dollars now.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 1:14 PM, rico said:

American Airlines canceled our morning flight to London and put us on a night flight.  I called them on April 8 explaining I wasn't accepting the change.  She said that's no problem and because American canceled the flight we booked we were due a full refund.  She processed it right then.  I could immediately see on the AA website that the refund was being processed and was in review.  The refund from American hit my credit card on April 18.  Took 10 days.  I was very impressed with my experience with AA handling the refund.  Hopefully your situation will go as smoothly.

Update:

NCL - Fully refunded

Carnival - No refunds yet (Rebooked cruise but waiting on excursion refunds)

American Airlines (the one who owes me the most) - I woke up Saturday to an email from American saying my flight was not eligible for a refund due to it being a nonrefundable flight.  I called and got a wonderful lady on the phone who helped me put in for a refund again.  Not sure whats up or why but someone screwed up our reservations.  Our original trip was:

Memphis to Philly and Philly to Venice and returning Venice to Chic and Chic to Memphis

They changed our trip to the Memphis to Philly returning Chic to Memphis.  So they took the entire Italy portion out and turned it into a domestic flight.  Not sure why I would want to fly to Philly and then somehow fly home from Chicago... lol..but that's what they did.

Anyway, I have put in for another refund with American and hope to hear by the end of next week.

For our June 22 Alaska cruise, we cancelled our shore excursions early March, before cruise was cancelled. I received an email a day or so later stating the refund would be credited to our account in 5-7 business days. That was March 15.  Nothing credited.

Then, cruises cancelled and we got an email saying  our deposits and insurance (for 2 cabins) that our VISA was credited for those amounts.  That was 2 weeks ago.......still nothing in the accounts.
            I’m wondering if anyone else has this experience. When I called I was told it’s being processed and could take 90 days.  Why would they send something saying it’s been credited,

Its good that you didnt pay in full for those excursions. I hears people are not being refunded for the excursions. Well, deposits usually stay untouched until you make a full payments. In any case, I am glad that you got your money back. I hope everyone else is as lucky as you are. Were your excursions expensive?

I am waiting as well.  I did receive an email today that stated my two upcoming cruises have been credited with shareholder credit (it's there) and my FCC from my cancelled Sept 2020 cruise has been applied to my 2021 cruise that I booked because of cancellation of Sept 2020 cruise. So that's good.  Hope the rest gets applied soon!

1 hour ago, grak said:

For our June 22 Alaska cruise, we cancelled our shore excursions early March, before cruise was cancelled. I received an email a day or so later stating the refund would be credited to our account in 5-7 business days. That was March 15.  Nothing credited.

Then, cruises cancelled and we got an email saying  our deposits and insurance (for 2 cabins) that our VISA was credited for those amounts.  That was 2 weeks ago.......still nothing in the accounts.
            I’m wondering if anyone else has this experience. When I called I was told it’s being processed and could take 90 days.  Why would they send something saying it’s been credited,

All refunds are taking 90 days. I asked my PVP, and she confirmed this, even though I recieved an email at the time the cruises were cancelled, I don’t expect to see the refunds actually land to my credit card until sometime in June for my April 5 & 11 cruises. I had about $1600 in refunds in addition to the 100% FCC for both cruises. I booked a 14 Day Journey cruise, transferred all of my FCC, and still owed $914. Then Carnival used $914 of my refunds to pay that balance and told me I still had $707 coming to my credit card. 

We were supposed to sail 3/21 and we cancelled (or postponed) on our own 3/12.  We have received refunds (a few days ago) for all of our shore excursions, our taxes and my husband's spa treatment.  However, I am missing a refund from beverages I purchased for the room and reservations I made for Jijis Restaurant.  Do you think they would refund at two different times or should I contact someone about the 2 refunds I didn't receive?

11 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

All refunds are taking 90 days. I asked my PVP, and she confirmed this, even though I recieved an email at the time the cruises were cancelled, I don’t expect to see the refunds actually land to my credit card until sometime in June for my April 5 & 11 cruises. I had about $1600 in refunds in addition to the 100% FCC for both cruises. I booked a 14 Day Journey cruise, transferred all of my FCC, and still owed $914. Then Carnival used $914 of my refunds to pay that balance and told me I still had $707 coming to my credit card. 

I think it's safer to say that refunds are taking up to 90 days, because people seem to be receiving refunds daily. I've thought long an hard about calling my PVP and telling her to switch our cancelled cruise to another one (we were sailing Radiance at the end of August) in order to get the FCC quicker but I'm not sure we'll really be back to normal and want to wait until I see how thinks look in June and July.

58 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I think it's safer to say that refunds are taking up to 90 days, because people seem to be receiving refunds daily. I've thought long an hard about calling my PVP and telling her to switch our cancelled cruise to another one (we were sailing Radiance at the end of August) in order to get the FCC quicker but I'm not sure we'll really be back to normal and want to wait until I see how thinks look in June and July.

The cruise that I transferred my FCC is not until January 24, so fingers crossed that we will be ok to sail. 🤞

• Like 1

We cancelled on Mar 30, and the TA was told by Carnival to expect a 60-90 time frame for refunds, and allow for the full time for the refund to be processed. So I guess we won't see anything potentially until the end of June.

*I HAVE RECEIVED MY FULL REFUND AS OF THIS MORNING* 😃
NEARLY $8K FOR  GROUP BOOKING. No Credit Card Dispute.

-Cruise Date: March 25th, 2020
-Initial "Cancellation" by me was around March 9/10th (FCC + Partial Refund), Called on March 14th to request FCC Back to Cash for FULL Refund.
-Our excursion refunds were quick as we requested them on March 9/10th call and we got the money back on March 12th (March 13th with the cruising "policy update" was when they got slammed with refund requests)
-$8K across THREE different cards
-Approx. 5 weeks for ~$2500 refund on two cards (received last week)
-Received remaining ~$5K this morning on last card (6 weeks)

They're coming folks...they're just getting through March.  Just keep an eye on your account.  Good luck!

Edited by DWolf2020
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, DWolf2020 said:

-Initial "Cancellation" by me was around March 9/10th (FCC + Partial Refund), Called on March 14th to request FCC Back to Cash for FULL Refund.
-Our excursion refunds were quick as we requested them on March 9/10th call and we got the money back on March 12th (March 13th with the cruising "policy update" was when they got slammed with refund requests)

They're coming folks...they're just getting through March.  Just keep an eye on your account.  Good luck!

Thanks for the update!

Received another refund on our 3/14 cruise this morning. It just showed this morning but was dated April 9th on my Citi account. Still about $500 short on the cruise, $140 on internet packages, and $859 on drink packages.  On a side note. Cancelled trip to Hawaii for August. American had our airfare refunded In 4 business days and had our accomodations refunded on 2 days. 

23 hours ago, chasinraynbowz said:

Update:

NCL - Fully refunded

Carnival - No refunds yet (Rebooked cruise but waiting on excursion refunds)

American Airlines (the one who owes me the most) - I woke up Saturday to an email from American saying my flight was not eligible for a refund due to it being a nonrefundable flight.  I called and got a wonderful lady on the phone who helped me put in for a refund again.  Not sure whats up or why but someone screwed up our reservations.  Our original trip was:

Memphis to Philly and Philly to Venice and returning Venice to Chic and Chic to Memphis

They changed our trip to the Memphis to Philly returning Chic to Memphis.  So they took the entire Italy portion out and turned it into a domestic flight.  Not sure why I would want to fly to Philly and then somehow fly home from Chicago... lol..but that's what they did.

Anyway, I have put in for another refund with American and hope to hear by the end of next week.

As a last resort, you can dispute the charges with American.  I did that and received my "nonrefundable" flight costs back.  They were more frustrating to deal with than Carnival.

2 hours ago, DWolf2020 said:

This kind of detail (i.e., cruise date, cancellation date, refund request date, type of initial payment) is extremely helpful!  Thank you very much!

I am expecting partial refunds (the taxes/fees portions of the cruises), and I paid initially by gift cards, so am particularly interested in those experiences as well.

Edited by Calnev1

1 hour ago, DWolf2020 said:

As a last resort, you can dispute the charges with American.  I did that and received my "nonrefundable" flight costs back.  They were more frustrating to deal with than Carnival.

Thanks!  I booked in January.  Do you think I can still dispute the charges now that the flights been cancelled?