Chilkoot Tours, Skagway

adstz

Has anyone else booked with them for this summer?

I am a planner. I have booked (and paid for) a full day tour with them in June. We will be in Skagway on the Star Princess in early June.

My cruise has not been cancelled yet. When I contacted Chilkoot to ask about cancellation they stated that if the cruise is cancelled then they will return the money. Otherwise, there is a 5% cancellation fee. That would be $64 for me. Totally unreasonable to me.

Anyone have any different experience with this company?

1 hour ago, adstz said:

Has anyone else booked with them for this summer?

I am a planner. I have booked (and paid for) a full day tour with them in June. We will be in Skagway on the Star Princess in early June.

My cruise has not been cancelled yet. When I contacted Chilkoot to ask about cancellation they stated that if the cruise is cancelled then they will return the money. Otherwise, there is a 5% cancellation fee. That would be $64 for me. Totally unreasonable to me.

Anyone have any different experience with this company?

I totally disagree w you and Chilkoot is being very reasonable.  If you cancel because you WANT to, that is your choice and you are lucky that they are charging you only 5%.  As with most reputable tour companies, if you can't take the tour because you can't get there, then you get all your money back.  

Lucky for you and unlucky for Chilkoot. you can assume that your cruise will be cancelled so you will get all of it back.  One other thing.  The people and businesses in AK depend upon the summer visitors to keep them going during the many months that there are no visitors.  Have some compassion for the problems they are going through.  

DON

5% , what would be reasonable if you cancelled? 

you paid 1280$ for some tour (s) if you are cancelling . they will give you back 1, 216 $. It costs you 64 bucks to cancel.

you paid 1280 for a tour and the cruise cancels. they will refund your 1280$ ( 100 % of your tour) 

that sounds reasonable. what about travel insurance. They would probably cover your 64$. would it be worth the hassle? 

I"ve paid that much for a pair of skis I keep a day too long!

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. My thoughts were that these are different times. I have used this company a few times in the past. With what is going on I thought that maybe they should be willing to keep customers in the future by being generous with their cancellations now.

I guess I now just wait to see what happens.

23 minutes ago, adstz said:

Thanks for your replies. My thoughts were that these are different times. I have used this company a few times in the past. With what is going on I thought that maybe they should be willing to keep customers in the future by being generous with their cancellations now.

I would wait. Ports and national parks all closed until July 1, 2020.  May-June AK cruise will not sail.  Our May AK cancelled.  Will not see our refund for 60 plus days.  We are not happy about this.

9 hours ago, Janet76 said:

I would wait. Ports and national parks all closed until July 1, 2020.  May-June AK cruise will not sail.  Our May AK cancelled.  Will not see our refund for 60 plus days.  We are not happy about this.

I have resigned myself to waiting for the cancellation. Only problem is I had made final payment the day before the ***** hit the fan. As of right now I am out around $15,000 including this tour. This was a family celebration for 7 people. I could be earning interest. Instead I am hoping to get my money back sometime in the next 3 to 6 months.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:42 AM, adstz said:

But-   if your cruise happens to "go",   wouldn't you be taking the Chilkoot tour?        Frankly-   since at this time, your cruise is going to cancel-  you will be getting a full refund from Chilkoot.      Times are difficult for the company as well.    I don't find it unreasonable 

On 4/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, adstz said:

I think the 95% refund is extremely reasonable.  You don’t purchase concert or movie tickets and expect a refund unless they are cancelled.  I’d be surprised any of these companies are offering a refund; many tours do not.  I’m sure they are more worried about surviving a year without income or the health of their friends and family over someone on CC complaining about 5%.

I am sorry you are disappointed.  I am disappointed over my August cruise and I am looking at my decision to purchase gift cards to safe money as a lesson learned as I would look at losing tour costs had I booked tours so far in advance.  I’m hopeful Princess comes out of this but understand that it’s my own fault if I am left holding the gift cards in the end.  

Update:

Yes, the cruise was cancelled. I contacted Chilkoot Tours to request a refund and cancel our tour.

They replied by email that a credit will be posted to my credit card. No cancellation fee.

• Like 1