When cruise lines come back ,will the customers come back

sullyd

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have not heard of ANY noro fatalities - usually just two or three bad days.  The flu is worse - I think about 1 1/2 % fatality rate,  while COVID seems to run 2%-3% —but we are still early on - it seems to take two to three weeks for people to get over it (which clearly at least 90% do) but since the infection rate only very recently spiked up we are only starting to see numbers who have recovered.  There does seem hopeful tests using plasma from recovered cases used to give anti-bodies to serious cases (which is essentially the concept of vaccines - dead or weakened viruses stimulate the production of internal defenses).

I think the plasma route shows a great amount of promise. (I'm not a doctor nor play one on tv.) Since it appears that one can be asymptomatic yet contagious, that's a real bugaboo (a medical term you may not be familiar with!) We have a FCC credit with Hurtigruten that IIRC is valid through 2021. I'm not even looking at travel until we do some "peaking."

8 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Got it,

All nice words but my question is: would you actually go on a cruise before there's a solid vaccine? Sure, we all have things/people we're willing to die for but a vacation is nowhere on that list.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We only have 2 supermarkets in our town and neither has a pharmacy .

Thats odd - small and 'limited choice' stores [Aldi, Trader Joes, IGA, Lidl] typically do not have a pharmacy, but most branches of the majors [King Kullen, Stop & Shop, Shoprite] seem to have them. [Or you can just follow a few miles of receipts back to a CVS]

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, clo said:

All nice words but my question is: would you actually go on a cruise before there's a solid vaccine? Sure, we all have things/people we're willing to die for but a vacation is nowhere on that list.

Yes, I intend to once cleared by CLIA and CDC.... and of course my spouse who has vacillated on this several times over the last month or so...

bon voayge

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

How will they "clear" you? Are you prohibited currently?

When they "clear" cruise lines to sail again....

I have no other self-imposed reasons not to sail.

bon voyage

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, clo said:

So are they currently prohibited from sailing or has each line just figured it out on their own? 

You mean like death or being stuck on a ship and in a cabin for weeks? I just don't get it. I can think of countless things I could do while seeing if they come up with a vaccine.

I believe that what you can do while you are waiting for a vaccine, will be great....

At this point in my life, there are things I can do and have done while waiting for some vaccine or immunization or miracle cure to come around for these types of dis-eases.

Some I have taken and others I have shunned.

I leave it to each individual or their guardians to determine what they will accept on that front.

Now with COVID-19 people have become 'more' aware that there is death on cruise ships, as it happens often and without any fanfare or public announcement. There are morgues on most ships to accommodate bodies.

Unless someone dies in a public area, it is almost always never known.

No need to struggle to 'get it', just know that there are potential passengers who welcome the opportunity to hit the ships again and we understand what the 'potential' downside, yet all I can see is the upside once ships are cleared to sail again!

The ships will not be over crowded, no pushing, no worrying about how crowded eating or entertainment venues will be... then again, there may be so many others like myself yearning to board that crowds will be difficult to avoid... oh well, all in a vacation.

I accept your desire to wait for a vaccine and support the wait to sail until it is available, which does not translate into 'everyone who sails will have that vaccine' rather it is effective or not.

Thank you again and bon voyage

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Some of us think drinking tap water in various other countries is high risk.

We seem to be made of tougher stuff than some but a 'stomach bug' has little potential than to make you wish you would die 🙂 I'd rather not get a noro-virus but it wouldn't stop me from traveling. But looking at the data so far for COVID-19, nope, not without a vaccine. There was also a bit of eye-catching data that came out that 80% of COVID-19 patients in NYC who were put on ventilators later died; far more than the non-COVID patients. I have a good bit of medical background and try to pay attention to facts not guesses. This disease has my attention.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, clo said:

You have the freedom to die or to be stuck on a ship for weeks.

I’m pretty sure folks hoping to cruise May/June don’t believe those are the only 2 choices! I would hope Carnival has an extensive plan and agreement with the ports they sail out of in order to avoid the latter. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. That would be my primary concern. My April cruise was cancelled and they are not taking new bookings for the potential May/June cruises so this does not apply to me. If I were on one of those cruises, I would want to know Carnival's plan for getting back to port on time.

2 minutes ago, HxFx said:

If I were on one of those cruises, I would want to know Carnival's plan for getting back to port on time.

Yep. And I'd want to see written agreements from the various ports/countries. Oh, right, Florida isn't a country.

4 hours ago, clo said:

And if they never DO come up with a viable vaccine?   It certainly is not a given.  (What is the vaccine for HIV?)      Nope, I have too much of a love for the ocean.   While I will not hop on a cruise ship as soon as the ban is relaxed, I will definitely  start looking and planning!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, FredT said:

And if they never DO come up with a viable vaccine?   It certainly is not a given.  (What is the vaccine for HIV?)      Nope, I have too much of a love for the ocean.   While I will not hop on a cruise ship as soon as the ban is relaxed, I will definitely  start looking and planning!

Oh, yes, all along I've mentioned the possibility of no vaccine. Hopefully they'll get treatments like for HIV. But that wouldn't help much on a cruise. Could you be happy being right by the ocean?

I think I've asked this before, is there actually a "ban"?

1 hour ago, clo said:

I think I've asked this before, is there actually a "ban"?

Yes and no. Some countries have put a ban on cruise ships docking in their borders or disembarking passengers. On the other hand cruise lines have also voluntarily suspended sailings. Well sort of voluntarily since really if it wasn't for so many major ports closing or imposing 14 day quarantines they probably would keep sailing. 

• Like 1

A number of macho people sound willing to take risks concerning a to-date not understood virus.  Yes - so far the mortality rate is perhaps a shade under 3% — but that  is so far.  There is no real grasp on its contagion rate - if it is not controlled that contagion rate could possibly approach 100% - making the death toll in the US from a mere 3% mortality rate over 10,000,000.  We have no idea how many non-symptomatic carriers there are who are capable of transmitting to others - without even knowing the are carriers. Also, no one has any grasp on the long term effect upon people who have “recovered”.

We do not know enough about the virus to mindlessly rush the return of an utterly non-essential type of recreational travel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

A number of macho people

L. O. L.  I just read something that said men - you know, THAT kind of man -are less inclined to do what they're told to do. I sure saw that today. Man after man with no mask. Even a man and a woman (more than one couple) where she had on a mask and he didn't. 

So if people are willing to cruise (or fly) when there's no vaccine, are they going to abide by a mask order?