Most Accurate Info on Cruise Pollution?

sakigemcam

I wasn't sure where this would get the most attention so since we are X cruisers and y'all are so smart, I thought I'd start here. 

Trying to find an accurate, neutral resource with stats about cruise pollution. On our cruises we've been told, for instance, that wastewater is processed and released completely cleaned into the ocean. Some websites will say they dump raw sewage into the ocean. I follow Daily Overview on Instagram and their recent post about the Baltic Sea was really disturbing, 

We're generally very supportive of the environment and our kids are pressuring us about cruising - I need to find the accurate stats. We won't get into a debate here, just would love some real information. 

Thanks in advance. 

The types of fuel used (the cheapest in many cases HFO, heavy fuel oil or heavy gas oil) are “dirty” while scrubbers (abatement technologies)  are used it is unlikely that they are as effective as espoused by some. These crude oils are prohibited in Antarctic regions,

Hapag Lloyd is one cruiseline which will no longer use the heavy/crude oils and is switching to marine gas oil.

Even ports like South Hampton suffer from air pollution when ships are in port as they need to run their engines to create electricity.

You might want to reach out to some of the environmental protection groups. For example, The Nature Conservancy launched a project last year hoping to unlock $1.6 billion in funding for ocean conservation (https://www.nature.org/en-us/newsroom/the-nature-conservancy-s-audacious-plan-to-save-the-world-s-ocea/). While your specific interests have a narrower focus,  I'm sure that they could steer you in the right direction.

• Like 1