Cruise Lines Begin Developing Future Protocols

boze9999

Recognizing this is another cruise line's new protocol, I found it very thorough and perhaps a view into the future of safer cruising for other cruise lines, including HAL. I for one am looking forward to getting back on a Dam ship!

Genting Cruise Lines has announced a new comprehensive onboard health plan for its Star Cruises and Dream Cruises brands,.

“At Genting Cruise Lines, the safety and health of our guests and crew are of paramount importance to us," said Kent Zhu, President of Genting Cruise Lines. “As a responsible cruise company, it is our duty to adopt a pro-active approach to meet and also strive to exceed the growing expectations and concerns of the public. As such, we have carefully reviewed our prevention and response plan with the COVID-19 pandemic in mind to devise and provide enhanced and comprehensive measures across our fleet."

“The public will be pleased to know for instance, Dream Cruises’ latest new build design allows for 100% external fresh air to be filtered and supplied to each passenger and crew cabin, as well as onboard public areas. There is no re-circulation of air between cabins or within the ship– ensuring a constant and healthy flow of fresh air throughout the vessel. Besides that, isolated wards are available in the Medical Centre and cabins can be converted into quarantine rooms if required.”

Genting Cruise Lines will also further collaborate with the China Cruise & Yacht Industry Association (CCYIA) to contribute to the publishing of a white paper for the cruise industry’s prevention and response plan against COVID-19, providing a comprehensive and unified standard for the cruise industry to ensure the safety and well-being of all cruising guests and crew, the company said.

A further vote of confidence was also provided by the Asia Cruise Terminal Association which has endorsed Genting's initiative and has pledged to support these procedures throughout its member ports located across the region including in Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and Vietnam.

Preventative Measures:

I. Embarkation and Disembarkation

• Mandatory temperature screening and pre-boarding health declarations for all guests.
  • Infrared fever screening system at the ship gangway.
  • Higher frequency with increased levels of sanitization and disinfection at the ship gangway and passenger walkways.
  • Stringent checks for all embarking individuals including crew travel documents; guests aged 70 years and above to provide a doctor’s certificate of fitness for travel.
  • Online check-in for guests to receive designated arrival time at the cruise terminal to minimize crowd congestion.
  • Additional waiting areas for cruise boarding & disembarkation (with staggered times).
  • Compliance with all local port and health authorities’ regulations.

II. Guest accommodations

• Higher frequency with increased levels of sanitization and disinfection in guest cabins with hospital grade disinfectants, including:
    • Twice daily wipe-down of guest cabins.
    • Fogging of vacant guest cabins.
    • Twice daily wipe-down and fogging of guest cabin alleys.
  • Clean and disinfect guest bathrooms with heavy-duty alkaline bathroom cleaner and disinfectant.
  • Timely removal of food items from cabins to prevent spoilage and cultivation of microorganisms and bacteria.
  • Timely housekeeping cabin turnover; bedsheets and linens professionally cleaned and disinfected at high temperatures
  • Injection of diluted cleaning solution into drains to avoid clogged pipes and to prevent bacterial growth.
  • In case of sickness, thorough cleaning and disinfection with hospital grade disinfectant or steam sterilization.

III. Common Public Areas

• All public areas on board will undergo a two-tier sanitization process with thorough cleansing, fogging and wiping using hospital grade disinfectant. Onboard venues and cleaning. .Frequency:
    • Elevators: Every 2 hours
    • Public areas and facilities: 2 – 10 times daily
    • Spa and amenities: Min 2 times daily
    • Other Public Areas: To adjust disinfection frequency accordingly
  • Common public areas sanitized from 1-4 times daily and frequent touchpoints (handrails, lift buttons, table-tops, door handles etc.) sterilized every hour or less.
  • Frequent usage of heavy-duty neutral PH floor-cleaning agent to disinfect all floor areas of the ship.
  • Sanitizer dispensers available at various public areas and crew members stationed at key onboard venues to provide hand sanitation.

IV. Food Hygiene Practices & Standards

• F&B restaurants / bar areas, including galleys, will be cleaned and sanitized 3 times daily, during and after service.
  • Guests are encouraged to wash hands before entry and use sanitizer dispensers available at F&B outlet entrances/exits.
  • Guest seating will ensure ample spacing; disposable cutlery will be provided, upon request.
  • Self-service at F&B buffet restaurants will be suspended. All food & beverages will be served to guests by crew members wearing face masks & disposable gloves.
  • Culinary use of wild animals and related products are strictly prohibited.
  • Stringent procurement guidelines will be enforced and product sourcing from highly affected regions will be strictly prohibited.

V. Entertainment and Recreational Activities

• Theatres will be sanitized before and after each show; 3D glasses disinfected before and after guest usage (if applicable).
  • Cleaning and disinfection of all toys, games and Kids’ Club facilities twice daily and/or after every use.
  • All duty-free shops and entertainment venues will be disinfected twice daily before and after service.
  • All recreational equipment will be disinfected every 2 hours before guest usage.
  • Guests capacity will be limited to half the venue capacity to provide ample space between guests.
  • Sanitizer dispensers will be readily available at various venues including entertainment venue entrances/exits.
  • Tour coaches will be limited to half capacity & sanitized frequently; training for tour operators based on guidance from the WHO.
  • Spa & Gym facilities will be sanitized prior to and after usage by guests.

VI. Fresh Air Ventilation Systems

• 100% external fresh air is filtered and supplied to cabins and onboard public areas.
  • Air filters and cooling coils thoroughly checked, cleaned and replaced to ensure healthy air quality.

VII. Medical Centre

• Isolated wards available in the Medical Centre
  • Contaminated items and medical waste will be properly sealed and disposed according to health and safety guidelines.
  • Used face masks and protective equipment disposed at designated central collection points.
  • Medical equipment and waste bins cleaned, disinfected and washed twice daily with hospital grade disinfectant.

VIII. Crew Members Practices & Standards

• Twice daily temperature checks.
  • All Frontline crew are required to wear face masks.
  • Housekeeping and F&B crew required to wear disposable gloves.
  • Designated crew may also wear protective garments and eye protection if required.
  • All crew to use anti-bacterial hand soap for at least 20 sec to sanitize hands.
  • Medical Centre Isolation Area staff related to suspected cases are required to:
    • wear adequate personal protection (face mask, eye protection, disposable gloves & disposal outer garment.
    • follow proper hand washing practices before and after work duty.
    • update personal health information daily.
  • Provide Training Workshops and pertinent information on health and safety preventive measures.
  • Reduction of crew movement. 
  • Like 2

It will be interesting to see if mandatory, rapid COVID-19 testing is implemented as part of the pre-screening measures.  The technology is moving at such a fast pace, I think it is reasonable that within a few months there will be the capability to do this.  To me, that is perhaps the most safe and reassuring way to move forward.  Of course, that does not completely eliminate the risk of someone eventually becoming ill with the virus, but it should substantially cut the chances of it happening. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

I'm not close to 70, but I think mandatory physician certification for passengers over 70 is inappropriate.  If a doctor's note is going to be required, let's do it for all adults.

I agree.  It will be difficult to get a doctor's certificate, anyway.  Maybe something like a certificate that vaccinations are up to date would be possible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

I'm not close to 70, but I think mandatory physician certification for passengers over 70 is inappropriate.  If a doctor's note is going to be required, let's do it for all adults.

I don't disagree as 70 is the "new 60". I do understand the intent of the "fit to travel". It's similar to that which is required for pregnant women.  

One thing that I noticed on the Genting Cruise Lines announcement is that they will NOT recirculate air, not even in common areas.  CCL ships recirculate air in common areas and retrofitting them to this standard would be a challenging proposition, not impossible but quite costly.

4 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

One thing that I noticed on the Genting Cruise Lines announcement is that they will NOT recirculate air, not even in common areas.  CCL ships recirculate air in common areas and retrofitting them to this standard would be a challenging proposition, not impossible but quite costly.

Notice that applies to their new build design, they do not mention all of their existing ships.  I suspect a bit of misdirection.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Definitely a good point. Retrofitting the air circulation, as it would in our homes, be an almost impossible challenge. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, npcl said:

Notice that applies to their new build design, they do not mention all of their existing ships.  I suspect a bit of misdirection.

Yes, I agree.  However for CCL, with a fleet of over 100 ships, new designs are not in the foreseeable future so air will continue to be recirculated.

32 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I agree.  It will be difficult to get a doctor's certificate, anyway.  Maybe something like a certificate that vaccinations are up to date would be possible.

It will be interesting to see what the cruise lines come up with with regards to a "doctors note" to enable me to cruise. The current note says the doctor agrees that I have no chronic illness (heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency due to HIV/AIDS, cancer or diabetes) which would make me susceptible to complications arising with COVID-19.

So, once a vaccine is given to everyone for COVID-19 are the cruise lines still wanting this 73 yr old male who does CrossFit Masters three days a week and walks another 1-2 miles a day, but does take a statin, present a letter from my doctor? Further more, is any physician able to guarantee that I couldn't possibly become ill once onboard. Guess time will tell if I even get to board in December, if indeed the ship even sails. I'll be patient.

47 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I agree too, while 70 is in sight in less than a decade, its hard to see how a certificate of fitness would be used. The industry would have to come up with a standardized form. One of the key parts would have to be indemnity for the physician, otherwise their insurance would never let them sign it.  Also what would be the timeframe of getting the certificate, 7 days, 14 days or what prior to the start of your vacation? 

7 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

It will be interesting to see what the cruise lines come up with with regards to a "doctors note" to enable me to cruise. The current note says the doctor agrees that I have no chronic illness (heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency due to HIV/AIDS, cancer or diabetes) which would make me susceptible to complications arising with COVID-19.

So, once a vaccine is given to everyone for COVID-19 are the cruise lines still wanting this 73 yr old male who does CrossFit Masters three days a week and walks another 1-2 miles a day, but does take a statin, present a letter from my doctor? Further more, is any physician able to guarantee that I couldn't possibly become ill once onboard. Guess time will tell if I even get to board in December, if indeed the ship even sails. I'll be patient.

I think that is why we will see mandatory, rapid testing at embarkation instead of the "doctors note."  I do think perhaps the doctor's note should be given for those over 80 or 85 as that population is at a much higher risk for illness.  Having a doctor certify they are healthy enough for travel may not be a bad idea even if COVID isn't around. 

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

I'm not close to 70, but I think mandatory physician certification for passengers over 70 is inappropriate.  If a doctor's note is going to be required, let's do it for all 

Mandatory physician certtification should be for all or none. Setting an age is both discriminitory and insulting. I will be 70 this year and although not in the best of health I am still in better health than many people I know who are 20 and 30 years younger.

Edited by bobcan
  • Like 2

It seems to be too much risk of being left standing on the dock watching the ship sail away because your temperature is elevated for some reason.   A vacation with the smell of lysol wafting about everywhere.    The number of passengers would need to be halved to accommodate the distancing  -- there go all the mid-range passengers.   Not enough rich people for all the

ships now doing cruises.  Will all inclusive resorts and vacation rentals and Bed and Breakfasts be as stringent?   They may see a resurgence in clients.

• Like 1

When I was on a 14 day cruise that had the noro virus, I developed a very bad cough due to all the spraying of chemicals etc.  I'm sure I kept the people awake on either side of my cabin.  I can just imagine what will happen with all this proposed clearing and sanitization.  I'll have to cruise less often and book a balcony to get fresh air.

Those are all nice ideas that Genting Cruise Lines has, but for us, we won't sail until there is a reliable treatment for Covid-19.  That's what seems necessary for the protection of guests, crew, and ports of call.

I know we all hope this happens soon.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Those are all nice ideas that Genting Cruise Lines has, but for us, we won't sail until there is a reliable treatment for Covid-19.  That's what seems necessary for the protection of guests, crew, and ports of call.

I know we all hope this happens soon.

With literally the entire planet working on it, I am very hopeful we will have some effective treatments soon.  

The doctor's certification to the effect that you do or don't have conditions that could/would make you susceptible to complications arising from COVID 19 is pretty open ended.  How could a doctor really sign that?  A lot of people could be deemed not eligible to cruise on the grounds of vague possibilities. 

1 hour ago, Himself said:

I am in 80 and am in goof heath.  Some people think I am 60.

And I thought you were 50!

The bottom line is:  What exactly does the term "Fit to travel" mean.  Is that a legal term or a medical term?  Is there a test that I or my DW could take to show that we are "Fit to travel"?  I am 80 and she is 78, but we both drive our own cars and can walk a mile if necessary.  However, I am also classified as 100% disabled by the Veterans Administration, but that happened a few years ago and we were able to travel to and from the Westerdam in February.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were a class action lawsuit against a cruise line if they started to carelessly try to impose this on their loyal passengers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

The bottom line is:  What exactly does the term "Fit to travel" mean.  Is that a legal term or a medical term?  Is there a test that I or my DW could take to show that we are "Fit to travel"?  I am 80 and she is 78, but we both drive our own cars and can walk a mile if necessary.  However, I am also classified as 100% disabled by the Veterans Administration, but that happened a few years ago and we were able to travel to and from the Westerdam in February.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were a class action lawsuit against a cruise line if they started to carelessly try to impose this on their loyal passengers.

This is a good question.  All the cruise lines seem to want to know is do you have a (chronic?) condition that could make you (more?) susceptible to complications arising from COVID19?   For example a chronic lung disease = greater chance of bronchitis/pneumonia.  A positive note from a doctor in this respect isn't a definition of "fit to travel".

This is quite open-ended and general.  Possibly a bit naive on the cruise lines' part.  I assume they do not want  even one pax/crew with this virus onboard.  This doctor's note won't do that for them.  All the other embarkation rules might or might not.  The problem facing them is how to make sure that no one boards with this virus.  After one does, all bets are completely off, no matter how much cleaning they do, how many rules there are.  "Fit to travel" isn't defined, so I would wonder what the cruise lines are aiming at.

Edited by SilvertoGold