Could this be the future?

govanguy

I could totally see self serve at the buffet going away and never coming back.  Less capacity in public rooms as well.  Interesting to see if cruise fares would go up as a result.   I just miss cruising.  Our upcoming cruise in June was for our anniversary and we were so excited.   We hope to be back soon.  

I was also on an Infiniti cruise thru the Panama Canal that had some people with  Norovirus and the chemicals did affect me I ended up with a bad cough that turned into a sinus infection. We have a cruise in September and are still on the fence of canceling before final payment we were so excited about this cruise to Canada!!

Well, unfortunately cruise lines, with their close quarters, have so much to think about for the future.  One case on a ship is one case too many, especially with underlining conditions.  It always amazes me about the age of 70, but so many need to have that approval by their doctor; however, that isn't necessarily the only restriction that may present itself.  I worry about a resurgence, along with the safety of ports, but know that things will get better and a vaccine will be found, along with proof of certain documents needed to board.  

Edited by Lastdance

Thanks for the article.  Perhaps some of these suggestions will be adopted at first.  Some will stick and maybe some will go away.  There is an increased cost to cruiselines that will be passed on to passengers.  I personally would love to see a joint committee of cruise industry officials and safety experts commissioned to come up with a guidance document.  Something like "Implementation of Safety, Cleanliness and Screening Measures post-COVID-19".   Maybe add a review by key passengers or even have a few on the committee.

Edited by TeeRick

15 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

does anyone think RCL will crash and burn leaving all deposits in bankruptcy court?

I think many of the cruise lines are in the same boat (sorry!).  We may see many fewer cruise lines after this is all done. 

Due to that concern, we cancelled our October 2020 TA on Apex - even though the final payment wasn't due until 24 July.  We did it early for three reasons: 1) We doubt things will clear up sufficiently by October, 2) I'm over 70 and doubt my doctor would sign the permission to cruise letter for me and lastly 3) Our chances of getting our deposit and airfare refunds back are better now than later when Celebrity may be more cash strapped  or even bankrupt.

Edited by 1SGCruiser

The only cruise I have currently booked with Celebrity is a T/A on the Reflection next year. It is a non refundable deposit so the most I could be out is $200.00. Not happy about that, but I can live with it. In the meantime, I do have a cruise booked on HAL which is refundable up to 90 days before. Will hang on to the T/A as long as I feel there's a chance that the virus will have burned itself out by then. If not, oh well. As my mother would always say.."and this to will end"....

Phil......floridacruisers

I remember when norovirus was the issue. So, what did the cruise lines do? They built bigger ships putting more people at risk for such outbreaks. Whatever they do in the future, they'll be out for recovery/profits.

• Like 1