What will be different on your next carnival cruise?

geckoaz

1 minute ago, jperry2011 said:

I predict they may put less people on the ships to start off with but before long everyone will realize this virus isn't half as bad as the media is making it out to be. We will all be back to normal cruising by fall.

I hope you are right but I am a little more pessimistic. 

Im hoping that people will take from this the need to stay home when sick, good handwashing, cover mouth when coughing. And see a dr when you are sick. Please dont jeopardize the rest of us.  I work as a school nurse and one of the most selfish things I see is people sending their kids to school sick.  Its the same with a vacation. Your cough may be detrimental to someone who just had chemo.  I sincerely hope that all cruise ships moving forward enforce the handwashing. 

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 7:07 AM, jimbo5544 said:

What would the 24 hour delay achieve?

52 days of lost revenue per annum for each ship in the fleet. It will never happen. Just like aircraft, you need to keep 'em moving.

I suspect a more flexible cancellation policy for anyone feeling ill. One reason many come onboard Ill is the financial penalty for cancelling. This needs to be relaxed so people can cancel without losing everything.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:50 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I think they will step up on sanitation of the ship.  

It would be nice if the Carnival ships had sinks with soap and water as you enter the buffet like they did on Harmony of the Seas.  Everyone had to go through these entrances and wash their hands with soap and water before entering the buffet area.  If they can't do this, then stationing servers at the buffet area.  I would prefer servers, although I personally wash my hands with soap and water after handling buffet utensils, but before I eat.

I will say that after 15 cruises, I have never gotten sick on a cruise ship.  I don't think buffet areas are any worse than handrails and elevator buttons.  People need to wash their hands.  

Once there is a vaccine, I think things will get back to normal and this will fade away until the next new virus. i don't see them taking temperatures in the long run, but I could be wrong.  It didn't take any time at all for them to do it on our last cruise.

Cruise lines can have  the  best sanitation protocols but the passengers have to do their part, don't come on the ship if you are sick and wash your hands often,ect. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shipbound2 said:

Cruise lines can have  the  best sanitation protocols but the passengers have to do their part, don't come on the ship if you are sick and wash your hands often,ect. 

That's true, but it was nice to know everyone on the last cruise I was on was made to wash their hands with soap and water before entering the buffet.  Even though they did, I still washed my hands with soap and water after handling the utensils before eating.  Even people with clean hands can use their phones while eating and go back for seconds.  The best way to avoid getting sick is for people to be responsible for themselves.

1 hour ago, shipbound2 said:

True but cruise lines can help to develop the culture of cleanliness.

On our Celebrity Edge in March 

a) there were hand washing stations at the entrance of the buffet

b) they had staff stationed at the entrances to make sure people followed the protocol .  It was sickening to watch people trying to enter without washing their hands

One thing I did....was book a cabin I wouldn't mind being quarantined in.  It cost almost double of "what I would have booked in normal circumstances" but it will be worth it. (Booked OS on Magic)

One thing I won't do....go to spa or sit in a hot tub

19 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

I predict they may put less people on the ships to start off with but before long everyone will realize this virus isn't half as bad as the media is making it out to be. We will all be back to normal cruising by fall.

Living in a small town in PA, you're life is probably "just temporarily inconvenienced".

Living in NYC....hearing the ambulances going to a "Covid-Only" hospital...knowing that the things I live here for will never be the same (because of the density of population)....my life is in "long term chaos".

It's twice as bad as the media is making it out to be.  For example, about 800 people are dying daily in the city alone.

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How could it be even somewhat normal without a vaccine?  Remember you will not be safe and your “back-up” Is a guy who probably let you come back if  that increases his numbers.  Doesn’t make me fell 1% safe.  Makes me nervous!

2 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

The covid 19 only hospitals where they have 100-200 beds filled out of 2,000 (during what Coumo described as the peak).

NYC is the worst currently yes and probably stressful to live in. 

Still isn't enough to stop the whole country from living their lives for a Virus that will end up being under 0.5% death rate of those who become infected.

You know....I thought "bad things" only happen to other people too.  Then I got breast cancer.

I can't imagine ships sailing out of NYC...people coming to NYC just to go on a cruise...and finally, any port opening it's doors to a ship sailing from NYC....anytime before there's a vaccine.

And you reiterate exactly what I said...this pandemic is just a temporary inconvenience to you.  The rest of the country will live their lives.  But, cruising, as we knew it up until 2 months ago will not be the same.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

You know....I thought "bad things" only happen to other people too.  Then I got breast cancer.

I can't imagine ships sailing out of NYC...people coming to NYC just to go on a cruise...and finally, any port opening it's doors to a ship sailing from NYC....anytime before there's a vaccine.

And you reiterate exactly what I said...this pandemic is just a temporary inconvenience to you.  The rest of the country will live their lives.  But, cruising, as we knew it up until 2 months ago will not be the same.

I was actually planning to sail out of New York in september but decided on Baltimore instead.

I'm not attempting to say this isn't bad or deadly at all.

But I don't see the point in making people go broke and ruin lives over a virus. 

What is the end game? The virus wont go away until someone comes up with a working vaccine, tests it, and mass production begins... atleast a year. What we are doing now just prolongs the virus while taking away peoples hard earned and saved money. 

I can see comedy shows and main shows on tv sceens in rooms. Hopefully with subtitles so i can hear what they are saying other than F word (not that i am unfamiliar). Minibars in rooms will be filled again. Tips will go up. One line indicated 50 cents a person per day. Heck i would pay for a deep clean package. 

25 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

No one should feel safe without a vaccine!  There is no “back-up,” just a guy that may nit let your cruise ship return cause it will raise his numbers!  

I was on an NCL cruise 3/1-3/8.  There was already "chatter" about not being able to board if you show up at the pier with a cold, hot flash, cough etc.   And people were discussing how to "make it go away" for an hour or two...ice packs, aspirin etc.  Anyone who thinks this won't happen is dreaming (like smuggling drinks on board...till they did away with all liquids).

I agree....but will take it one step farther than you...nobody will be safe without a vaccine.

I will hope some changes come after this is over, among them, the muster drill. Packing people in like sardines literally standing shoulder to shoulder touching is not a good way to avoid spreading virus. (Any virus!)

I think having a 24 hr turn around between sailings is a great idea. This gives more time for the crew to clean and also maybe give them a little more time off so they can start the new cruise more refreshed and ready to do a good job. Even before the virus I thought it was somewhat nasty (barely vacating a room and a new group coming in within a few short hours) and tiring for the crew to not even have a moment to catch their breath in between sailings. The crew has sometimes seemed tired and worn. Who wants to work so many days in a row!
I definitely think the buffet should be done cafeteria style where you point to what you want and a server puts it on your plate. My stomach literally turns when I see the gross things people do in the buffet line! (Which is why I won’t eat at them for the most part and if I do I go full on hazmat cleaning after touching)
Those are the main things that can help possibly to make cruising more enjoyable and safe. Oh and less people on each sailing! Less crowds would def be awesome. I’d be willing to pay more for all of these things to be implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moongal said:

I will hope some changes come after this is over, among them, the muster drill. Packing people in like sardines literally standing shoulder to shoulder touching is not a good way to avoid spreading virus. (Any virus!)

Bingo.  Can’t believe how Carnival has been able to get away with their method all these years lining up people 6 rows deep and in the hot sun.

We were in the Celebrity Edge in March and we did it in one of the dining rooms and was done by video .

• Like 2

19 hours ago, poz222 said:

I suspect a more flexible cancellation policy for anyone feeling ill. One reason many come onboard Ill is the financial penalty for cancelling. This needs to be relaxed so people can cancel without losing everything.

excellent idea, you are spot on

• Like 1

20 hours ago, poz222 said:

Well, there's already a cure for that....insurance.

9 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

it depends on the insurance.if you have a pre-exisiting medical condition, travel insurance will not cover you unless you purchase the insurance within 14 days or so after placing the deposit on the cruise. also insurance has various look back policy's for medical issues

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

It does not cover Pandemics.... I assert that if cruise lines want to instill confidence for people to book AND to discourage stick people from travel they will have to adjust their refund and cancellation policies, at least in the short term.